1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN First Take] Hire more refs and give them an area of focus

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Jan 19, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Look, I am as skeptical of these guys' opinion as much as the next person on here, but I actually think Max is right here. I was talking about this exact point with a friend of mine, and actually only considered 1 extra ref since the league is stingy and not ready to spend money to get it right - which proves they have an agenda since there's so much money being made that they could easily do it. Anyway, so what I suggested was two refs on each side, each one focused on a quarter of the court. This however would be far from perfect.

I think 6 refs, while excessive, is definitely a solution. We are definitely asking too much of referees at times, though you'd think with 3 referees on one side one they should be able to watch the line while another focuses on the paint and the other the perimeter. With 6, there shouldn't be any issue with getting it right since you have on each side a ref watching the line, the paint, while the 2 running up and down focus on the players in general.

Thoughts?

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think you're correct that it's telling that the league hasn't done this yet. I liked the idea at first that said, I could see six refs adding to the confusion and inconsistencies that already exist.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

A sideline referee on the camera watching and correcting calls would help as well. These dudes waste too much time looking at replays, when sometimes the **** is obvious. Kills the flow of the game.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Max is amazing

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this i liked the most
    'How about the 3 refs now and one extra ref watching the tape with the most power. Instead of stopping gameplay, he can see it as it happens on tape and when the refs are discussing and make a call'

Crashlanded19 and OTMax like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and this

"The nba should have 2 extra refs who are constantly in the video booth. Their job is to make quick decisions and relay missed calls/ bad calls to the refs who are on the floor. This would not only speed up the game by eliminating the time to review on the floor, but also make more accurate calls by having a ref constantly looking at HD footage the fans see at home."

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

I love the extra red watching video on the sidelines to make obvious calls like a three or a two, out of bounds, who touched the ball last, buzzer beaters and such. Nowadays a game ending with a buzzer beater can last up to a minute to decide what the final ruling is. Takes away all the excitement!

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What if some of them get sick? Will they have substitutes? ;)

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i say have 4 refs for each half of a court. then move the front row about 5 feet back to allow movement for the 8 refs. irrelevant but they should also cheapen some of thr food prices.

JumpMan, FANfrom86toNow and hakeem94 like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

More refs is good to a certain extent .

Also I would like to see real fines and real enforcement on flopping .

I don't think the refs are doing great , but do agree with them that the job is hard . Players flopping around only makes it harder .

If you can add even just 1 more ref and actually start fining the **** out if players when they flop , it will be easier to get more calls right .

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i saw marcus smart flop against sixers this week in a most egrigious display, and then got rewarded by the refs. i just don't believe anyone, much less refs who do this for a living, can be so f'n stupid to fall this crap over and over again. the more plausible explanation is that the league simply has featured teams they want to promote (for playoffs series?) and the refs have been instructed accordingly.

snowconeman22 and DonKnock like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You got to start somewhere with the experimentation, start with the refs......

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

I am on board with doubling the referees. 3 to 6. 1 ref on each point of the court - so - 4 on the outer points and 2 at half court and the refs at half court are focused on the back court exclusively while the refs on the corners slide around the corners. I also say allow multiple fouls called at once. If one ref sees an illegal pick on one side of the court while another guy sees a dirty play in the post, and whistle at the same time both of those fouls are handed out. If this had been done a couple of years ago, the Warriors wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell of getting to the finals. They would have been rolling out there 3rd stringers by the start of the second half. Ah, one can dream.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Ketterman has a pretty good idea, but here's mine.

Start carrying referee managers and an extra referee at each game. The referee manager keeps refs in line and can sub out a ref at any moment. Right now they're dictators out there and to me, that's what needs to stop: referee egos. Only being actively managed during the game will ever change that. The union protects its refs way too well currently and the refs know it.

hakeem94 and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have a better idea to punish flopping, on top of a fine.

Give the guy a no-foul game or two. In the no-foul game, he gets to wear a different color jersey so the refs can easily identify him. The opponents can foul him any way they want (except maybe dangerous flagrant), shove him, grab him, push him, hit him on the arm when he shoots, etc., and no whistle will be blown. And he has to play at least 20 minutes in the game so the coach can't bail him out by sitting him on the bench.

You've got to punish the team together with the player to be effective. Punish the village for a single person's crime and the village will stop anyone from doing it again.

Rokman and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

LOL that's not a realistic idea. I could see maybe having a "penalty box" where the player has to sit out. Of course it could be scrubs flopping that won't matter too much but if they're in the game flopping, they're having an effect on the game and needs to be taken out immediately

18. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Or just empower the Replay Center (Joe Borgia's department) to do that and expand what they can decide on.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Steve_Francis_rules

They could also start fining the refs who continue to make these horrible calls on flops.

In the last decade, has a single referee been let go by the league because of poor performance? Is getting indicted by the Feds for being involved in a gambling ring the only way to lose your job as an NBA ref once you have it?

DonKnock likes this.
  20. what

what Member

Just make a rule that you can't eject star players under any circumstance.