1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

our rotation and minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samiam1234, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

So now when we are almiost at full strength, will Mike D'antoni actually go five deep.. Eric Gordan, Luc, PJ, Nene and Green and if so where will the minutes come from.. Obviously Cp3 and Harden should be limited to about 33-34 minutes and EG deserves 30 minutes off the bench, but Luc, PJ and Green should continue getting 20+ minutes with their production, but mathematically they wont get those minutes even if we limit Anderson to 22 minutes and Ariza to 30 minutes.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

He has no reason to not go 5 deep. Also after Saturdays game, this will be the 2nd time we're fully healthy and active right?

SIL

4. Moleb

Moleb Member

Over all keep the line up as it is, but play 8-10 people per night. We need to develop chemistry, and the new additions this year need to continue to learn the offense and defensive schemes.

On a more serious note, come playoffs we need to look at starting Luc over Ryan Anderson, especially if we play GSW. Then we can bring Ryno off the bench in order to be matched up against non starters. The reason we dont do this now, is because i dont want to ruin his trade value by benching him during the regular season.

I wouldnt mind seeing a small ball line up of

5-Luc or Ariza
    4-Ariza, or Luc, or Green, or Tucker
    3-harden, or Luc, or Green, or Tucker
    2-gordon, or Luc, or Green, or
    1-CP3, or harden

That would give us 5 people who can shoot and defend.

I'm really liking Eric Gordons play making these past few games, he has really stepped it up.

If we do trade for Jordan, i'd only do it for Anderson & a pick or Zhou Chi. But then Clint or him need to come off the bench and play 25 min a game. But doing this will ensure Clint leaves. Clint has more upside, and offense is developing well ( despite how soft he is ). However going back to if we do trade Ryno for Jordan, id go back to what i said earlier and start Luc at the 4.

Last note, im not a huge fan of PJ Tucker. He's decent, but to me hes better can Cory Brewer was.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

I don't think he will go 10-deep, Green is probably out of the rotation, unless it's a blowout. Even if he plays, he will probably get 10-15 minutes. I am somewhat positive it will look like this:

CP3 - 32 / Harden 16
    Harden 20 / Gordon 24 / Green 4
    Ariza 34 / Mbah 8 / Green 6
    Ryno 26 / Tucker 10 / Mbah 12
    Capela 24 / Nene 14 / Tucker 10

Harden 36 MPG
    Ariza 34 MPG
    CP3 32 MPG
    Ryno 26 MPG
    Gordon 24 MPG
    Capela 24 MPG
    Tucker 20 MPG
    Mbah 20 MPG
    Nene 14 MPG
    Green 10 MPG

#5 OTMax, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    wesbound and kwakmeister like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's just no reason Ariza should continue to play 35-40 minutes.

Let Green and Luc pick up some slack so he can stay fresh. Tucker may need to lose some minutes if he keeps passing up open looks, shoot the damn ball.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think we are really fully healthy yet, we just have a full squad again finally.

Harden is playing at most 60%, Luc also needs more time for his shoulder imo

8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

True.

SIL

9. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

They have to use a 10 man rotation.

More small ball and less minutes for Harden, Paul, Ariza, Gordon and Nene.

That will definitely help in the playoffs when everyone else is worn down.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

With everyone back, I pray we keep spreading out the mins and not allowing to much wear and tear overtime. Plus on Harden, CP3 and Ariza.

D-rock likes this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Ariza should be playing like 30mpg. I don't have stats to back this up, but it seems like he was shooting way better this season when he was playing less minutes. We have a really deep team with everyone healthy and no one besides Harden and Paul should be over 30mpg.

D-rock likes this.
  12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

My thoughts exactly. If we were in 2016, I would agree to let Ariza play until he needs crutches.

Now we have Luc and Green to fill in for the SF position. All 3 are multi-task, so, hell.. donĀ“t do it!

D-rock likes this.
  13. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I like your formatting.

Green's per36 stats are fantastic though, based on those alone I would try to get him more minutes. I think we can take 2-4 from Harden and Ariza and bump him up to at least 14, perhaps 18 minutes. Even then though I'd like to see more. Stretching these minutes thin. I mean ultimately a minute or two from each player here and there probably depends on the game. If Green is on fire, leave him in. If Gordon is on fire, give him some extra minutes.

You know your team is deep when youre talking about allocating minutes haha.

Harden 32 MPG
    Ariza 30 MPG
    CP3 30 MPG
    Ryno 24 MPG
    Gordon 24 MPG
    Capela 24 MPG
    Tucker 20 MPG
    Mbah 20 MPG
    Nene 14 MPG
    Green 20 MPG

My changes in bold. Again, I'm all for the hot hand. I'd love to get Gordon more minutes somewhere too but it's really not that big. Right now he's averaging 32 minutes so a decrease of 25% of his total minutes is drastic. The way Nene plays though, big on one day, small on the next, allows for better rotations when he's not in. We can have Ryno at the 5 more, or even PJ which frees up some minutes at the 4, for Luc, which allows Green more minutes at the 3 and Gordon more minutes at the 2.

#TrickleDown

D-rock, DonKnock and cdxiong like this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His defense and his shooting becomes worthless when he logs major minutes over several games. You need those 3/D guys to be fresh because their job is so exhausting. Guard the best player! Shoot a bunch of 3s! Need their legs. I honestly worry more about their minutes than Harden's.

I would really work to keep Gordon, Ariza, Mbah a Moute under 30 minutes in every game.

D-rock, Deckard, mfastx and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I came here with the same topic in mind.

Last night they played essentially 8 guys.
    CP 35
    Harden 26
    Anderson 29
    LMM 32
    Capela 26
    Gordon 35
    Tucker 34
    Nene 22
    (RJ Hunter with 1)

Almost looks like Harden is being forced back into action early, because otherwise they don't have a 3rd guard. EG and Paul definitely picking up some slack too. With Ariza and Green suspended, LMM, Tucker especially but Nene also stepped in for extra minutes. In a pinch, I find this ok. 2 guys out, the main wheel hurt but still 8 guys logged solid time. Frankly it wouldn't have hurt anything to get RJ a few more minutes.

So that brings the obvious question....when Ariza and Green return, what does the rotation look like? 10 deep? Because they are easily that. Does Nene still rotate games with Black backing him up? Not that Black is an elite player but he's been big for us while dealing with injuries. He's a capable player. Why play Ariza 35+minutes while LMM is available? I wouldn't mind Anderson donating a few minutes to LMM and Green. Tucker is obviously not going to play 34 minutes a night...

Here's my ideal situation:
    Harden 32
    CP 32
    Gordon 32
    Ariza 30
    Green 12
    Anderson 20
    Tucker 20
    Mbah a Moute 20
    Capela 26
    Nene/Black 16

10 Deep. Fair minutes to all. Plenty of room to wiggle for hot hands/matchups. Not overly reliant on any one player.

And to think, you've got Black essentially as the 11th man. You've got an insurance policy like Troy Williams as 12th man. Development projects like Zhou and Hunter 13/14. Onuaku as 15th, there are certainly less talented 15th man roster around.

Key takeaways:

-There is no reason for 7 man rotations. Not with the talent this team has all the way to 15. This team is deep, even though we don't dip into the 3rd string very often. Hell we barely saw the 2nd string for a while.
    -3 Guard rotation is very good, and this team depends on those 3 guys being very good every single night.
    -There is no reason Ariza should be playing 37 minutes a night.
    -There's super no reason Anderson should be hovering around 30 right now, not unless he starts going NBA JAM fire rim hot and stays there.
    -I didn't realize Clint was only playing a little over half a game. He's very athletic and adds a lot but wind has always been a problem for him. If he were able to add 6 minutes of solid play a night this team would be unstoppable. Deandre Jordan plays 32....

#15 Dankstronaut, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    D-rock, DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Ariza minutes should top out at 30. He was so good at the beginning of the season when his minutes was low.

justtxyank and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The only 7 man rotation MDA should ever play is

Hunter
    Green
    Williams
    Qi
    Black
    Nanu
    And maybe Luc for like 20 mins

On the last game of the season

D-rock and Soneca like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly there's no reason for it to go over. Mbah a Moute is a better defender at this point than Ariza but a worse offensive player. Let's say they are close enough to call them a wash. Between those two and Gordon, you should be able to use Green enough to keep all three under 30 minutes.

mac_got_this likes this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Green will be very important depending on the match up.

It has now come out from the Celtics that Green was a team leader last year and they did not want to give him up until they were capped out by the Hayward signing and Kyrie trade.

Green is the only one on our team with elite athleticism and consequently he must be played when there is someone on the other team who is burning us with athleticism.

He will also be important against the Warriors because they play so many wings.

D-rock and mac_got_this like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Very likely. But one wrinkle I could see is if the Rockets get frustrated with Anderson's crappy shooting, they might give some more of those minutes to Green (via moving Ariza to PF, Green to SF). So Anderson's 26 might tick down to 20 and Green up to 16.

Feels refreshing to actually "have options" with a deeper rotation than before.

D-rock likes this.