1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that we have a new GM...My top five requests

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dear Mr Gaines, Congratulations on the new job. Here are the top five things we want from you in the offseason. Good luck and don't mess this up

1. Get Trumain Johnson and Malcolm Butler.
    2. Rebuild the o-line. Even if you have to get you a new assistant coach.Duane Brown is not walking through that door, find a way to fix it.
    3. Get more pass rushers. You need a better OLB opposite Mercilus and you need good backups. The opposing QB should always be under duress regardless of who is in front seven.
    4. Draft another very capable RB to pair with Foreman.
    5. Sign a backup QB, maybe Bridgewater.

Keep scrolling, I'm sure the rest of Clutchfans have their requests for you too.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Foreman tore his Achilles. I wouldn't plan on him ever returning to what he was. Best to just assume he's done, and then consider it a bonus if he becomes productive again.

craigharmann likes this.
  3. texian

texian Member

Let's start with his correct name...

It's Brian Gaine

No "s" on the end of it.

I don't know what it is but we seem to have a habit of pluralizing singulars and singularizing plurals.

Fullcourt and TejasTom like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The OL and secondary are priorities for sure.

For the rest I think we just have to hope everyone comes back healthy.

The pass rush should be good at full health.

5. conquistador#11

With Watson making a tweet or a phone call, I think we can get any player we desire.
    they all adore him. they think he's one righteous dude.

solid likes this.
  6. showa13

showa13 Member

We need depth but health will bring depth. But I agree with this. I also agree with getting a comparable backup for Deshaun.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

You shouldn't settle for pass rush that is fine. They should strive for dominance. Patriots had fast RBs that could catch; they got more. Jags had a decent d-line, it got better. A dominant pass rush will help the secondary.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

OL market doesn't appear very good/deep. I would attack the secondary(CB/S).

RB: Blue is a FA; Foreman coming off achilles injury; despite drafting 4 in the last 4 drafts(Foreman, Ervin, Hilliard, Blue), need another RB.; Can grab one in the draft; Some FA names: Dion Lewis, Carlos Hyde, Jerick McKinnon, Rex Burkhead, Isaiah Crowell, Jeremy Hill, Charles Sims, Orleans Darkwa

WR: Fine with the Hopkins-Fuller-Ellington trio (although Ellington is a FA)

TE: Current Texans TEs stay injured; Jimmy Graham is the "dream free agent" for many. Others: Tyler Eifert, Trey Burton, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Luke Willson, Antonio Gates, Ben Watson, Ed Dickson, Virgil Green, Anthony Fasano

OL: Nate Solder, Justin Pugh, Cameron Fleming, Andrew Norwell, Weston Richburg, Jack Mewhort, Josh Kline, Brandon Fusco

DL: Sheldon Richardson, Dontari Poe, Bennie Logan, Star Lotulelei, DaQuan Jones, Jay Bromley, Shamar Stephen, Beau Allen

Edge: DeMarcus Lawrence, Ziggy Ansah, Adrian Clayborn, Trent Murphy, Alex Okafor

ILB: Avery Williamson, Navorro Bowman, Todd Davis, Preston Brown, Zach Brown, Demario Davis, Jon Bostic, Anthony Hitchens, Mason Foster

CB: Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, E.J. Gaines, Kyle Fuller, Aaron Colvin, Prince Amukamara, Vontae Davis, Bashaud Breeland, Morris Claiborne, Rashaan Melvin, Patrick Robinson

S: Lamarcus Joyner, Morgan Burnett, Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Tavon Wilson

Nook likes this.
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

My wishlist from your list of availables:

TE: Trey Burton, Austin Seferian-Jenkins

OL: Nate Solder, Justin Pugh, Weston Richburg, Josh Kline

CB: Malcolm Butler, Kyle Fuller, Aaron Colvin, Patrick Robinson

S: Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid

craigharmann likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Give me Prince and Trumaine.

Get OL in draft.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Cut Cushing
    Let j-jo walk if he don’t take less to stay
    Free agents
    Norwell
    Graham
    Butler or Johnson
    Vaccaro

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No way they get both Johnson and Butler. If they did, what little money they have left has to go towards OL. We are stacked on the front seven, completely empty in the secondary and OL. All available money for FA's needs to go into those 2 directions. Bring back Miller, Blue (cheap fa), Foreman. Anderson and Griffin and low draft pick or cheap FA will have to do at tight end. No linebackers, no receivers, no running back, journeyman backup QB (all we will be able to afford). I'm usually all about best available in the draft, but Rick Smith fu....... us so bad we will have to draft for need just to field a team. What a disastrous off-season we had last year, other than Watson.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Texanscap on Twitter posted an article about the actual cap space the team will have this offseason. After potential contract extensions to Clowney and McKinney, resigning some players, drafted players, and other variables, the Texans should have around 27-29 million to spend on free agents. With this in mind, some moves to make would be:

1. Sign Tyrod Taylor to backup Watson. Wouldn't be surprised to see Savage resigned if Obrien really likes him.
    2. Try to get Waddle or Fleming to play RT. If Newton returns, he can be the swing tackle.
    3. Sign a true RG to move Allen to LG where he played pretty well with the Chiefs. Norwell is out of the budget imo. Pugh or Kline could be in play here.
    4. Sign Joyner/Vacarro to replace Gilchrist and a young CB like Colvin or Fuller
    5. Trade up to draft Will Hernandez. Also look for a RB to replace Blue, and draft for depth in the secondary and oline.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well on my list I would put "Fire the head coach and get a competent person to take his place" but given that BOB essentially is the GM, and they just gave him a long term extension, it's probably too much to ask.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

buckle up Bobby, it's going to be a long ride for you

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For all Texans fans I'm afraid. There is some hope that Watson can overcome though.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Elliott from Texas White from West Virginia and possibly Harrison from bama are safeties I’m looking at in the draft.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

General point:

You can get some very good linemen in the 3rd. 4th or 5th round... but you are almost guaranteed that they will need a year or more before you can put them on the field. This is especially true of tackles.

Heck, half the time 1st round o linemen need a year to get up to speed.

Don't expect them to draft their way to a good o-line next year.

The team wou ld be better off drafting rb's and db's with their early round picks if they want a quick ROI. I really wish it were otherwise.

Mr. Clutch and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah that’s why I want lineman in free agency....this draft loaded with DBs

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Cutting Cushing would save another 8M or so. That'd be my first request.

Nook, mikol13 and Rudyc281 like this.