1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mid-range is the best way to close games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jan 11, 2018.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't know if anyone notices but clearly in the 4th quarter, the mid-range is WIDE OPEN. We were able to withstand last night's run by the Blazers specifically because Chris Paul was not afraid to take and make wide open mid-range jumpers.

I know Morey might get me banned from the Toyota Center by saying this, but we need guys to seek out and take mid-range jumpshots during crunch time. That includes Harden, Eric Gordon, and Ryno who can be lethal in the mid-range. One reason I like the Gerald Green signing is that he is willing to rise up for a quick mid-range 2 when it is available for him. It keeps the defense honest.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

good observation,

btw we should use midrange more during the whole game, particularly when struggling on the offense, when you're cold from 3 or defense is taking away 3 or refs swallow the whistles then midrange is the most efficient shot

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I doubt Morey would disagree with you - we take 3s and 2s at the rim as a general strategy but when you need buckets in the final few possessions of a game, I don't think ANYONE(Morey or Dantoni included) is going to disagree that the best shot is the one with the highest potential to go in and since long 2s go in more than 3s, then that's a better shot when you have a few possessions left to outscore the opponent...

Patience, Andy Sheets and Mazulis like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Contested 3s are far more efficient than 2s.

-Morey

#4 cheke64, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Rox11, TheRealAllpro and RyanB like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's a mental aspect to the game. Buckets going in keep the offense flowing, keeps the defense frustrated. The nature of the 3/paint offense leads to droughts, and when refs start missing fouls in the paint or the 3's stop going in, mentally, it adds up, swinging the momentum.

With that said, you have to hit those 2's at a high clip. The defense is leaving it open. CP3 can shoot that shot at a high clip. It's all good.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This only works because Chris Paul might literally be the greatest mid range shooter ever. I don't want Eric Gordon or Gerald Green taking those shots.

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Mid-range elbow jumpers and lays ups should always be in the playbook. However, taking a 20 foot jumper inside the three point line isn't ideal.

I agree, the reason we survived that scoring by Portland was hitting timely mid-range shot. Not taking contested three pointers.

deb4rockets, saleem and DonKnock like this.
  8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Also those shots are "WAY" open for Chris Paul because of his ball handling ability and his quickness.

saleem, Patience, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME OBSERVATION

saleem, RyanB and BigShasta like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I do want them taking those shots, half open midrange is a way more efficient shot than turnover produced trying unnaturally to create a 3 pt look when its not there or driving to the rim when whistles are silent.

trying to create a 3 pt look when whistles are silent and defence is focused on 3pt defense results in turnovers, bad feelings in players and killing of the momentum leading to more turnovers and cold shooting even when the look is there...

RyanB, Mazulis and basketballholic like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I said this 2-3 years ago and was ridiculed.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Sure, but that's not what actually happens every time. Did you consider the case where they actually get open and make 3's? That happens quite a bit too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

There is absolutely zero empiric evidence that 3 point shot suddenly somehow become less efficient and more turnovers happen in crunch time.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

of course, not every time but they should sprinkle midrange more often to become less predictable

1 they will get better 3pt looks
    2 they will get better layups opportunities
    3 they will be better calibrated/attuned to hit 3s because many shooters need to see ball going through the hoop when struggling or to get hot

RyanB and Mazulis like this.
  15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I just wonder how much we actually practice mid-range shots. CP3 has been taking those shots his whole career so it's 2nd nature to him. I'd be surprised if Ariza, Gordon, and Ryno focus on their mid-range game in practice. I agree with OP that we should take more of them to balance out the offense, but let's start practicing them first.

RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  16. basketballholic

If the game is tied or within 1, then depending on the player, I'd gladly take the midrange 2, especially if it's Harden or Paul driving and getting the look at or below the free throw line.

saleem and RyanB like this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah this thread is pointless without some numbers to back up OP's claim. I respect his feelings but feelings are not enough to definitively claim something like this.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

when you think about it there is no an absolute formula for closing games its all situational, and i think the same goes for empirical evidence

but for me its understandable that midrange is the most efficient shot for us due to several natural factors:

1 avoid injuries that are more easily to happen with layups because of physical nature of layups
    2 whistles are silent at the end so contact on layups will not be awarded with fouls and will influence the shot
    3 its the end of the game, people are tired and you need more energy for 3 or layup than for midrange
    4 teams know rockets are shooting 3 s and layps and will leave midrange to rockets not even expecting us to take that shot- so it has an element of surprise
    5 harden and cp3 are masters of the midrange

RyanB likes this.
  19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Told yall, and Green and Gordon can and should take open midrange shots! They did and hit last night ;)

saleem, RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  20. OTMax

OTMax Member

: edit

hakeem94 likes this.