1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Mario Hezonja: Possible offseason signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Dec 18, 2017.

1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

The Magic didn’t pick up Mario Hezonja option for next season so he’ll be an unrestricted FA. What do y’all think of giving this guy a look at and possible signing in the summer? He’s young and seems to fit our system. He can hit the three and is pretty athletic. Anyone else agree? I’ve been a fan of his when he was playing overseas and seems to have high potential. He’s only 22 and has good size at 6’ 8’’. Former number 5th pick.

#1 batkins, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Can we finish enjoying this season and it's possibilities first?

#randomtradethreadandideas

3. bongman

bongman Member

One thing I noticed about our current team is that everybody who plays regular minutes are high IQ type players. How is Mario is I know little about him.

4. batkins

I understand. I just wanted to get a little discussion going and see if anyone sees what I see in him. That’s all.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*basketballholic salivates*

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz He is The Kraken all over again.

Anyone can have a big shooting game. I think Rafer Alston made 8 threes once, too. Prior to that game,
    • his previous 88 games (this season and all of last season), he is shooting 30%.
    • That one game took him from 11 for 36 (30%) this year to 19-48 (39%). and
    • He was 29.9% all last year.
    • Plus, he has 15 games this year of making zero three pointers.
    There is a reason ORL did not exercise their option on this bust of a #5 pick.

He's a head case, and one of the lowest IQ basketball players in the NBA. He's truly dumb....like The Kraken dumb. Don't let his White skin and European heritage fool you, he's got a very low BBall IQ.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread was only made because he finally had a good game for the 1st time in forever

this dude has a long way to go before he can contribute for a winning team, let alone a contender

I’d rather sign a 2-way wing that can help now than waste time trying to develop him

heypartner likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Probably would cost half of Ryno's contract and produce about the same results.

Problem is Morey is definitely going all out for Lebron and he's going to ask CP3 to recruit him. We'll only have cap space to sign vet mins like Wade and his banana boat friends.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, I saw him listed as PF last night. Not sure if 82games.com is correct, but they have him playing VERY FEW minutes at PF this year.

The Magic seem to have a system that favors these types of quasi small-ball PFs that can occasionally hit a three. Like with Gordon, who generally excels in a way at PF where he struggled last year when they tried to give him minutes at SF with Serge at PF.

I'm not sure if Mario can really play PF going forward... but increasingly in today's small ball NBA, I wonder if at least some of his good game might be due to being in that role, which is a role that works for the Magic?

He also had a "good" game 2 games prior, again where he started as a small ball PF.

just a thought...

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . .that puts and end to that

Rocket River

topfive likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Glad you pointed me to their last few games.

Had you not, I never would have noticed Vucevic's huge Triple Double against ATL. Maybe we should trade Capela for him.

12. JayZ750

ok....

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  13. batkins

He’s definitely a SF.

And yes this is not his first good game. Thanks for pointing that out.

14. malakas

malakas Member

If he wants to come here for the minimum then sure. Other than that not interested.
    His bball iq is very low but that's not all.
    More important is his attitude his selfishness and bad work ethic.

heypartner likes this.
  15. hakeemthagreat

Clutchfans LOVES foreign guys like this. Whether he'll fit doesn't matter. He's foreign so he'll go into the DMO category

16. JayZ750

Lol

It is the best game of his career. And he also has two games in his last three with gamescore over 15. He's only had 2 of such games his entire career to date, both his rookie year, and certainly not in close succession.

I just find it interesting he played PF, good game, Gordon was back and Mario was SF again, meh game, back to PF, great game.

Not that I expect him to shoot 8-12 from three every again in his career, ha. Definitely traditionally a SF... but the NBA be a changing...

SFC-P likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

heypartner likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

@basketballholic dream team

Rubio
    Hezonja
    Uthoff
    Anthony Randolph
    Thong Maker

SFC-P, fattz and topfive like this.
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So you're saying there's a chance?

20. basketballholic

That would be a great, super cheap backup unit. And if you replaced Rubio with Frank Mason it would be dirt cheap and give us a ton of trade flexibility.

fattz likes this.