1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shoot-First CP3 vs. Pass-First CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Dec 17, 2017.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Chris' first 7 games:

28.1 MPG / 11.1 PPG / 10.3 APG / 1.3 TOV / .415 FG% / .394 3P% / .846 FT% / +10.6

Team: 7-0 / 120.9 PPG / 18.4 PPG average margin of victory

Chris' last 7 games:

34.4 MPG / 24.1 PPG / 8.1 APG / 3.4 TOV / .527 FG% / .451 3P% / .938 FT% / +13.1

Team: 7-0 / 118.7 PPG / 11.3 PPG average margin of victory

After taking a backseat in the early going (and appearing on pace to set a new career high in AST%), in the last couple weeks Chris has really embraced the hybrid PG/SG role playing off of Harden, and the team has continued to roll.

Some of that (I'm assuming) is a product of his hot shooting, which may regress somewhat. If that happens, do you guys think that Chris should still continue to aggressively pursue his own shot, or should he settle back into being more of a distributor?

Personally, I always thought that the Clippers were a more dangerous team when CP3 was aggressive in trying to score the ball, but they didn't have Harden. So I can't decide which is better for this team, though right now I am leaning towards the current version that we're seeing.

Deuce, don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Chris should pursue his shot. That mid-range is deadly. Harden about 2-3 years ago used to have a deadly mid-range stepback, too, but that disappeared last year.

These guys should always take open shots. There really is no bad open shot for either of them.

3. calcium

calcium Member

I must admit I didnt think he'd fit in as well as he has.
    Nowhere near as well.

Major kudos to the team and to the coaching staff.

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

That is why got him here as a combo guard to play on and off the ball.​

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m cool with him just reading the game situation and doing what he thinks is appropriate.

I would like to see his minutes down around 30 mpg, rather than at 35 mpg.

waytookrzy079 and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm with this, take it at a game-by-game basis and dictate role based on gameflow.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agree with this.

He seems to be "playing it by ear" so to speak.

As he should.

8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I think CP3 is smart enough to always adjust to the opponent's defense, and take what is available to him. Part of the difference between his first and last 7 games, is that the opposing teams are guarding him differently, especially in high P&R situations. In the first 7 games, the defenders doesn't switch that much in P&R, so CP3 has a lane to drive and kick to open shooters; but since our shooters have been very deadly, teams we played recently tried to switch everything, guard our shooters more tightly to take away our 3Ps, and dare Harden/CP3 to beat them one on one in a mismatch against a big man.

Lucky for us, Harden/CP3 are just lethal against any big man in the league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol man we have 2 of perhaps 5 best players that ever played the game

insert clyde clubbing baby seals pic

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chris Paul is one of the smartest players I have ever seen. He will always do exactly what he has to do depending on defense and game situation. Over the last 3 games, Harden hasn't been particularly great by his standards, but Paul stepped right in to carry the load.

It's truly a wonderful thing to watch

ElDobleK and hakeem94 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

12. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I think this has a lot to do with it. The season is long, and players will streak and slump as it progresses. Harden's been banged up over the past few games, and his effectiveness has suffered accordingly. It's a godsend to have a player with the quality of Chris Paul to pick up the slack. Everyone needs to be performing at peak levels come April/May, if we want a snowball's chance in hell of toppling the Dubs. But it's such a luxury to have a guy who can step in and be the closer/the alpha/the best guy on the court, whenever Harden is struggling.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Shoot first CP3 is averaging 23ppg in his last 7 or 26ppg in his last 5 with elite defense.

Pretty incredible.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Are you talking about that horrible year in which we barely scraped our way into the playoffs?

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was more thinking about the year that we went to the WCF. Harden used his step-back, mid-range J at least a couple of times per game.

That year that the team imploded, Harden was already moving away from his mid-range game. With Dwight bogging down the paint and a lack of outside shooters, our offense was easily stymied.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's CP3. He can be both depending on the matchup.

17. mockster

mockster Member

He’s doing both. I just think he’s geling more and more, he’s still obviously passing but he’s starting to take some of the scoring load. Will need this come playoffs

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CP is doing a good job of filling in the cracks on whatever is needed. Credit to him! He has adjusted his game to "fit around Harden."

That said, I feel CP being in "aggressive scoring mode" is something this team will need to get to the next level. CP's scoring is absolutely an important mix.

19. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I agree that some of this change has to do about how they are defending us. I think the default defense we are seeing is minimal rotations, stay home with the shooters (removing the 3 ball) and see if those 2 guys can beat our ass on the pick and roll.

I think from a style POV, I love the pass first CP3, this also free Harde to go for his MVP.

From a results POV and ignoring my want to massage Harden´s ego supporting his MVP campaign, scoring CP3 give us our best chance.

If we are making good guesses here, midrange will be key down the stretch and come playoff time, and that´s where we need Scoring Point God Maestro