1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kerr] "[I'm giving Jordan Bell] the rookie treatment" "We just don't have any time for him."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Nov 23, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

vs Looney? whoa...if Morey took Bell and MDA said that ... GARM would exploide.

3rd year player, Looney, has been handed the minutes, per Kerr. Bell's been placed on inactive list for 4 of 5 last games. Kerr still likes Bell; he's just saying that Looney took the job away from Bell.

I wish ppl who yell at coaches for presumably not developing rookies right away will take note that Kerr will in time with Bell, but is going to the 3yr "vet" Looney, because he won the job. Admit it: Who here thinks Looney has a future?

Count me as someone who has always subscribed to the coaching strategy that good teams shouldn't just hand role players early PT, just because. I'm a firm believer that winning the job in practice is key to development of the player's practice habits, drive and focus, as well as the team. Now, franchise rookies are different, of course...but they mostly win the job out of the gate, anyhow.

Jordan Bell getting ‘rookie treatment’ with Warriors

OKLAHOMA CITY — It wasn’t long ago that Warriors rookie Jordan Bellwas an early-season revelation. Now, he is struggling to get on the floor.

With Kevin Durant back in the lineup Wednesday night against the Thunder, Bell will be on the inactive list for the fourth time in five games. His only playing time in that span was a three-minute cameo with Durant sidelined for Sunday’s win over Brooklyn with a sprained left ankle.

Bell, the No. 38 pick of June’s NBA draft, has failed to log double-digit minutes in each of Golden State’s past six games. Not surprisingly, that reduced role coincides with Kevon Looney’s recent emergence. With the NBA trending toward more small-ball lineups, the third-year forward out of UCLA has been a defensive asset, switching off screens onto guards with relative ease.

After not playing in seven of the Warriors’ first nine games, Looney has appeared in eight in a row. It is his reward for a summer spent slogging through an intensive workout regimen and shedding 30 pounds from his 6-foot-9 frame.

“[Looney] has a much better sense of what we’re trying to accomplish, which he should,” Golden State head coach Steve Kerr said. “It’s his third year. It’s Jordan’s first, so he’s still learning the NBA. Looney’s done a great job, and he’s earned the consistent minutes night in and night out.”
    Free to run the floor and throw down dunks, Bell is shooting 70.4 percent from the field in limited playing time. His instincts, court awareness and defensive versatility have many in the organization believing he could be a foundational piece of the Warriors’ future.

“He’s just a victim of the numbers game,” Kerr said. “Looney came in and did a really good job for us in a few games and kind of took that role. We just don’t have any time for Jordan right now.

He’s doing fine, but we’ve barely practiced, so he doesn’t have much chance to make an impact. But it’ll come. It’s a long NBA season. There will come a game where we’ll rest someone and he’ll play. He’s getting the rookie treatment.”​

#1 heypartner, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

But he has given Bell some important minutes already this season and no one really doubts that Bell won't be activated and get more minutes at some point later in the season...which in turn will help GSW down the line.
    Kerr ain't scurred!

cheke64 likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If MDA won two championships he could say whatever he wants.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It is sooooo obvious Bell is their 2nd best big after Draymond but Kerr stopped playing him. I agree with a GS blogger that Kerr is trying to avoid rocking the boat and wants to keep everyone happy. He can afford to do this because they are winning anyway.

For Kerr to say Bell is getting the rookie treatment, fine. For him to say Looney is outperforming Bell is an insult to anyone's intelligence.

I assume late in the season changes will be made.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares what Steve Kerr thinks.

He ran the Suns into the ground as a clueless GM.

He thought it was funny to call Yao Ming “the Chinaman”.

He inherited a stacked team.

Alvin Gentry is the offensive architect.

Not calling him a buffoon but he isn’t exactly Popovich either.

6. heypartner

I can agree with this type of player development, see my OP comments. Most fans don't, *especially* after what he already showed in his garbage time minutes.

And that is exactly what 10% of the BBS would say to defend MDA if tables were turned. I guess I'm just weird. I wouldn't even need the two ring criteria to defer to a coach on this. For instance, I had no beef with McHale for giving Morris and TJones the rookie treatment....and they were first round picks.

So does it really take two championships for a coach to develop 2nd rounders like Bell this way? Or are you saying only coaches with two rings are allowed to do it without huge fan criticism.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd trade a future highly protected first for him.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Still can't believe the Bulls traded the pick for cash considerations...smdh what a terrible organization...

Kendrick Lamar and cheke64 like this.
  9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Regardless of your opinion about both players, why would Kerr go public like this? Seems a bit odd to be this outspoken about something that is not that significant, but could hurt some feelings and rub some players and people the wrong way.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

collusion

Vivi likes this.
  11. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

What a travesty Looney Tunes over bell :eek:
    China nu Onuaku, Whitney's ex husband, demetrius and briant weber for bell should suffice right? :D

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kerr went public because people are wondering why one of their best bigs is inactivate game after game. It's quite understandable.

13. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Maybe pushing up Looney trade value for a midseason trade.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought the same thing for about 15 seconds before remembering the Warriors declined Looney's option, which will make him unrestricted next summer.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Why? Because Kerr has a big mouth. He has never had a problem expressing his opinion even when it isn’t asked for.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This thread didn't age well.:D

Bell is starting tonight in place of the resting Draymond.

17. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Bulls claimed they were out of roster space and would've had to drop someone they prefer to keep over Jordan Bell.

18. heypartner

Casspi started for Durant, too. Guess Kerr had it marked as a scheduled win.

Or the GSW fans blew-up over his comments and Myers forced him to play Bell. :D

ferrari77 likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan Bell can eat dat booty for all I care.

heypartner likes this.
  20. BackdoorHarden

5 blocks in 22 minutes against his former team.

Bulls don't need someone that does that kind of stuff!

roslolian likes this.