1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic shopping Mario Hezonja

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Oct 31, 2017.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Vivi likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Gordon and a 1st for Hezonja, Capela and a 1st for Cody Zeller.

Chris Paul for Jordan Bell and Frank Mason.

= PROFIT.

joeson332, Gorki, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wow, this is a good sign of a bust when team won't pick up your option

Another sign is when teams will offer their #22 pick for your #5 pick

BigMaloe and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

How has he been shooting the ball? Thought I heard he looked good in the preseason

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

BallSoHarden, BigMaloe and BigShasta like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Great potential but something else seems off about him...i wonder if a change of enviroment would turn his career. If it takes a package like Malachi and a 2nd rounder i think the Kings are right in giving him a chance.

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Still believe in him very much. Has an attitude issue. I would too if I had to play in Orlando. They flat butchered player development under Hennigan.

With all that said I see no way to acquire him. Unless we made it a bigger deal involving Anderson somehow. I would not give up a first for a guy in his third season that they've benched and haven't developed. And we don't have contracts to match until mid December. I would give up Nanu and Troy for him then. And I'd consider it even if they required a future second or Hartenstein.

Hezonja is a 2/3 with athleticism just a half step below Wiggins and with a great three ball with tremendous range who can handle and make plays. His size, length, and athleticism give him great defensive potential as well. And I'd love to see Chris Paul.get in his ear and head. I think Paul could make him reach his enormous potential.

But I can't see it happening here. At least not right now.

#8 basketballholic, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind taking a look. D'Antoni hates Troy Williams, so maybe we could send him off to Orlando and let D'Antoni take a close look at a guy that is very versatile on the offensive end. If anyone needs D'Antoni magic it is this guy.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Put him in the Rocket's offense and he might turn out to be a great fit.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Malachi and a 2nd. Oof. If that's roughly his trade value, I would get in on it and see if he pans out on a new team.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'd like to get him at a reasonable price .

I think the rockets are weak on wings that have offensive skill ... Especially while Paul is out .

If chinanu/ Williams can get it done then I'm down .

Vivi likes this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Vivi likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Weirdest thing about him is his surprisingly poor lateral movement, and therefore defense. That's hard to overcome for a wing player, maybe impossible to overcome.

I think he only has a future as a stretch 4. He'd need to fill out more though and that probably won't happen either.

As such, I expect to see him in Europe within a few years.

RudyTBag, BigMaloe and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21528928/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-ben-simmons-nba

6. The state of Mario Hezonja

It's painful to watch a player wriggled so deep inside his own brain you can feel his indecision seeping through the television. Hezonja shoots when he should pass, drives when he should shoot, and sometimes hot-potatoes the ball around the perimeter when he could rise for an open triple.

Against Utah this week, he passed up what would have been a decent 3-point look, drove into the lane with his head down -- without a plan -- and belched up a lefty floater that surely drove Orlando's coaching staff insane.

He remains lost on defense. Frank Vogel yanked Hezonja three minutes into the second quarter of that same game after he blew assignments on three straight possessions. We didn't see him again until garbage time -- and then not at all Wednesday against Minnesota.

Orlando shopped Hezonja everywhere before the Halloween deadline to decide on his $5.2 million option for next season. They wanted to foist that choice onto someone else. They found no takers, and declined the option.

Someone should buy low on Hezonja, begin again from scratch, and see if they can mold him into an NBA player. He's 6-8 with some hops, and he can shoot. That's an interesting foundation.

Beardaholic13 and Vivi like this.
  16. heypartner

Yeah, but that's what you say about players *before* they are drafted. After three years in the NBA, the resume gets extended.

Now it's, "he's 6-8 with some hops, can shoot, but has very low BBall IQ, and doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up."

#16 heypartner, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    roslolian, BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I wonder if there's a chance a player with his contract situation can get a buyout, if nobody wanted to trade for him maybe that would be the best move for both sides...

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

That doesn't benefit Orlando tho. They will just let him expire because he isn't gonna leave any money on the table.

He likely gets a minimum 1 or 2 yr non guaranteed deal this offseason but it could be the end of his career. Taking all of that guaranteed money he has coming is best for him.

Vivi and heypartner like this.
  19. heypartner

They were probably asking for too much. They still have time to trade him.

My question is: does not taking the option actually help the trade scenarios, or hurt them (as he's now an expiring contract).

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Anybody got an idea of the number of players that are lottery picks whose original teams that drafted them decline their 4th year options go on to have productive careers. I don't think the number is very high. I'm don't think you can blame it on the Magic either, Hezonja had plenty of chances to break into that starting lineup.