1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Debunking medias myth that CP3 doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Oct 18, 2017.

1. mockster

mockster Member

So as most of you saw Rockets in general are constantly disrespected, even the pre game show not one mention of Rockets and when Ernie tried to bring it up they blew it off and laughed. Even after the game they didn't give rockets much praise and then automatically went to "Paul won't work in Houston". Except he already is and here is why

1. Paul's presence alone on and off the court is exactly what Harden needed, Paul is a natural leader who can keep harden in check and you can already see the improved hustle from harden on defense. He's a mentor that's not afraid to call people out.

2. Paul had 10 assist, 8 rebounds and 2 steals and 1 block. Those aren't bad stats at all. He defiantly set up some plays. Also a lot of things stats don't show is the saves and hustle plays he pulled of during the game. Also paul brings some good defense, he's great at it He's constantly switching, double teaming/lurking close by. His scoring lacked but it should get better

3. Chris Paul didn't ideally fit but perhaps he's just enough for harden. He's a guy that can come in and relieve harden of a lot of playmaking and dribbling responsibilities. Even just a few minutes of this brings good relief to harden so he doesn't feel overwhelmed and can get some rest.

4. Are we forgetting chris Paul was part of that 17 deficit comeback or do we just ignore that?.

5. Chris Paul was banged up, nothing serious but being a previous athlete myself, soreness and bruising can throw you off big time.

Regardless if paul becomes his old self or not I think based on even his play tonight I think he's exactly what harden needed but I do expect chris Paul to improve his fit once he heals and plays more games.

s3ts, Ozzy, RocketsTerps and 19 others like this.
  2. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Couldn't agree more. Media also says "CP3 CANNOT PLAY OFF THE BALL"

He's a 40%+ 3pt shooter as well as a great creator off the catch. While it may not be his greatest strength, he can certainly play off the ball at spurts during the game. Both he and Harden have their own way of running the offense and it was clear that Paul's way to run it to start the 4th is what brought us back down 17.

The idea is to have an elite PG on the floor at all times.

dragonwill, cbs1507, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fit isn't something that will happen in 2 months. It took Bosh and entire season to fit into Miami's big 3.

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Cp3 had some big team steals, defensive presence, and assists. Dude sparked the run to start the 4th.

Hes obviously banged up but dude has heart and will help your team even if hes to hurt to drive or lift for his shot.

Ridiculous media chooses a time when he plays through injury and we come back from a 17 point deficit to best the best team in the league as a time to say cp3 doesnt work here

cbs1507, dragonwill, D-rock and 7 others like this.
  5. mockster

mockster Member

Sometimes "fit" can be misused. Maybe he's not playing the same as he use to but aslong as he's contributing and getting Ws.

6. Soneca

Soneca Member

Absolutely agree with your first and third remark. Just listen to his postgame interview. He came to the Rockets to play second fiddle to James, and he's happy with that. The way he talked about Harden, it's easy to see he came here with that in mind. He was highly praising Gordon as well, he knows his job will be quite different in Houston comparing to what he's done his whole life. He's smart, actually he's one of the smartest players in the NBA. Obviously I want things to work out and I'm always positive, but I see no reason why not, it's just a matter of making sacrifices, which he seems very willing to do so.

cbs1507, MorningZippo, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Last year at the beginning of the 4th the warriors wouldve extended the lead then harden would've came in and we would've cut it down a little and lose by 10. Cp3 being out there didn't let that happen. It's still a long season and anything can happen but to me that's how cp3 fits, he's obviously not gonna score 4 points every game bit to say he doesn't fit is ridiculous to me.

cbs1507, D-rock, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'll say the same thing I said last night. I think this team will be great and he will be a major part of that... but my main concern is that he didn't get a single wide open shot off of the Harden controlled offense.

It turns out all gravy when they win, but how long can he live with that when they lose?

mockster likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I love watching him defend.

D-rock, DonKnock, Sooner423 and 3 others like this.
  10. mockster

mockster Member

Also another element is that we just did play the best team in basketball and beat them. They aren't easy to get points on, they don't give up a lot of open shots. So we should always expect against the warriors to be a grind. It didn't help that paul was hurting either.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't it more important to have others get good lucks with him in the game? Paul can create for himself, the main reason we needed him was to create for others.

Harden got a wide open 3 at a crucial point too.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Houston fans are way too sensitive about this stuff.

Since moving out of Houston... while STILL being as hardcore a Rockets fan, I also have a better national perspective.

And with that perspective I still certainly have some complaints:
    - The big markets get way too much time. Yankees, Knicks, Patriots, Lakers, Cowboys, etc.
    - Chuck's Rockets beef because of the contract is real... maybe with the new ownership that changes.
    - Lots of guys are still morons.... Skip, SAS, etc. Part of their shtick's though.

But you also come to some realization, like the media doesn't have a random hatred of Houston teams. When you're last 20+ years of performance has 3 trips to the second round and 1 trip to the conference finals, and a bunch of first round exits, there's a organizational culture that people associate with your team. Just like the way one would have been surprised if the Clippers actually won a Finals, for example. Or if the Spurs MISS the playoffs.

In this case... you just have to have eyes to see it. Harden + CP3 don't mesh great now.
    It might improve.
    And CP3 brings a bunch of other stuff that should help.
    But even the most die-hard Rockets fans could see offensively it wasn't an amazing combo last night.

The Rockets won more because of the new role players being better two way players. CP3 helped with defense, low turnovers.

Sooner423 likes this.
  13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Great post but the CP3 and Harden chemistry (lack there of) is far from being a concern for me as a fan personally right now. Shouldn't this be expected?

2 superstars that start and play the same position. If they weren't badass ballers, they would be deemed redundant. But they are bad ass ballers that are redundant to an extent right now.

It is what it is. If the "only" way for them to be successful on the same team is to provide "48 min of ELITE PG play" every game....then so be it. Maybe they won't be great together on the court per se, but they will be great for the team in a broader and more important capacity.

DonKnock and mockster like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Absolutely. I'm not enormously concerned about it.

But I do suspect it won't be an easy, quick, smooth transition. This isn't somebody we added to come off screens and hit threes.

Both players will need to adjust while helping 1+1 > 2 ... whereas right now it seems like 1+1 < 2

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/11071992/you-make-too-much-sense-tone-that-****-down.jpg

16. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Its literally game 1. It normally takes a good amount of time for ball dominant stars to mesh.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Mat deserve it's own thread

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

We lose that game without cp3. No question

DonKnock and amaru like this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

I use to agree with what you're saying. We as Houston Fans were way to sensitive but last night's telecast was way too bias, against the Rockets. I expect that from Charles and Shaq BUT KENNY SMITH SHOCKED THE HELL OUT OF ME!

However, my take is if you WIN AIN'T NOTHING THEY CAN SAY

20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Most of CP3's value will come when Harden isn't on the floor anyways. Staggering them allows little to no drop off between the starters and bench unit.

amaru likes this.