1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien earned his keep tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

For as much as we love to dog him, and as many boneheaded calls he makes (and he made quite a few tonight), Billy O really earned his keep tonight.

His scheming with no tight ends and a terrible line was great. The extra lineman is exactly what we needed. The scheming simple half field reads for Watson. Short passes for Watson. He basically made Watson into rookie Russ Wilson. That's exactly who he should be.

Watson showed his Just Winz "it" factor in the fourth. Now, it's Obrien's job to bring that out of him for four quarters. He is the future. Like it or not.

One thing I'd change is to bench Lamar Miller and give Foreman 20 carries a game to Miller's 5-10.

Otherwise, it feels good, man.

Need Duane back.

I just feel like this time, we'll be more prepared for New England. Not that we'll win for sure, but I'm not as afraid to play them in the playoffs.

texian, TheFreak, PhiSlamma15 and 2 others like this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They need to fire his ass on the tarmac.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I stood up for BOB for the longest but **** No!

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

And yet, it was Watson completely improvising a run on a 3rd and 15 that scored the only touchdown and won this game. So yeah BOB is still terrible and deserves to be fired soon.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Best thing I've seen tonight was JJ knocking off rust. Looks like he's not there just yet but he's getting close.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Also (maybe more), Mike Vrabel might have found out defensive coaching. This was just like last year, the defense winning the game. Averaging around same number of points. With big exception of offensive talent drop-off at the moment.

Not to discredit O'Brien, because he got the most out of thin offense. But other side again helped too

PhiSlamma15 and macho GRANDE like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ban OP.

@EddieWasSnubbed is drunk off a win against the worst team in football. "No O"Brien didn't earn a gawd damn thing today.

#7 DreamShook, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think he's a good offensive coordinator. But, he had no tight ends and no wide receivers with any speed and a crap offensive line.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

OB did some common sense things tonight ... Nothing spectacularly intelligent .

Getting the ball to Miller in space is a no brainier and should have been in heavy use last year

Short passes , no brainer when your OL sucks this badly.

We won the game due to our D and some nice individual play from Hopkins , Watson , and our Rb's

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is incorrect

Nook likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The defense and trash ass Andy Dalton saved the game. Without that 49 yd run from Watson, and the scramble to get in FG range at the end, what did BOB do that was so impressive?

12. Two Sandwiches

Lol.

How are people salty about a team winning on the road, on a short week, with no tight ends, only three receivers, the worst offensive line in the league, and rookie quarterback in his first start?

There's no pleasing people....

Watson will only get better. As he goes, so does the offense. Of course the defense is going to carry us. It has for many years. The defense wasn't bad last week. It was the offensive line and turnovers.

We had zero this week, thanks to a good scheme and playing to our rookie quarterback's strengths.

I swear some people think we are playing for a BCS bid.

You guys need to lighten up.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think you mispelled Deshaun Watson and Bernadrick McKinney

14. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

you dont know football. Bill O Brien is horrible, and ruins qbs. If Watson stays with O'Brien he will be seen as a bust within a year, the titans got rid of ken wisenhut midseason and hired mike mularkey for marcus mariota. I hope mr. mcnair makes a change at head coach, bring in a david shaw of stanford, scott linehan of the cowboys, or yes even darrell bevell from seattle

13 points in the nfl is pathetic, this is post rule changes era as well. the bengals got shut out by the ravens the week before. so i wouldnt give our defense too much credit. Maybe Dalton is regressing

15. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

newsflash the bengals might be the worst team in the league, they were shut out at home by the ravens. And Watson played off script tonight, everything watson did was off of pure instinct. He has no coach, unless you think it was bill who drew up the play that made deshaun run 50 yards for a td

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bill O'Brien is working hard, getting better every day.

17. Two Sandwiches

How am I supposed to believe someone telling me that I don't know about football when they say in the next breath that Bill O'Brien ruins quarterbacks in the next breath?

I'm not saying he's a quarterback whisperer, but to say he ruins quarterbacks is factually inaccurate and shows your football acumen.

The two quarterbacks that have played the most under O'Brien have played some of the best football of their careers while playing for him, and then gone on to have the best seasons of their careers after playing for him. Yes, I'm talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Hoyer.

Sometimes, the truth is hard to accept. Some people have some bitter pills to swallow tonight. Be happy, we got a win in a game that we had no business winning. A game that was as much of a must win as any game two matchup will ever be.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Good win. I just can't give that much credit to Bill O'Brien. I felt like throwing the phone at the TV when he ran ball inside on 3rd with Cinci's everybody in the box defense. Strong had zero targets. I think Braxton had one.

I wasn't as pissed as most after Sunday's loss and I'm probably not as ecstatic after tonight's win. I'm still expecting a 7-9 win season. And I still think this team deserves a better offense.

PhiSlamma15 and ghettocheeze like this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

OP is right. O'Brien coached his ass off tonight. To win a short week road game in the NFL with the dogshit personnel he had to work with today is borderline amazing.

TheFreak and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Are the Ravens a bad team or something?

Maybe the Bengals offense has looked bad because they've ran into arguably two of the best defenses in the league to start the season.

Also, in another parallel, but bizarre universe, maybe the Jags are better than we thought? Ferocious defense and a very solid running game.

justtxyank and TheFreak like this.