1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela' expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jul 24, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I'm very excited about his progress and expectations should be high: he should get more lobs, less responsibility on defense, has reportedly gained weight - muscle I hope - so should be stronger and it's his 4th year so time to make that leap! I seriously think he will rebound better, score more on post ups and hit more 8-10 foot hooks and shots.

What do you guys expect? Where will he make improvements? Where should he improve?

topfive, tbw914 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

20,10,10 (blocks not assists)

Wins mvp award

3. basketballholic

Less responsibility on defense?????????

Not hardly.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

last year he only did three A Capella with Capela episodes. I'm looking for him to at least DOUBLE that. Six episodes, minimum.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

We have much better perimeter defense so that should put less pressure on Capela.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's going to have a career year this year no doubt. one of his goals needs to be able to stay on the floor within the 30 mins or more range, continue to improve finishing around the rim and the FT shooting

7. hvic

hvic Member

He needs to be more aggressive on the floor. I don't think other teams are scared of Capella besides his singing ability.

jch1911 likes this.
  8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i agree. he's going to average at least 18 and 10, and will barely miss getting on the all - star team. will command max contract after next year. playing with two pick and roll guards, and being the fastest roller in the league.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17, 12, and 2 1/2.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

he needs to be able to play 30mins a game this year..

11. today

today Contributing Member

Wow, that's pretty bold... I'd say 15/10/2

You may be right though if he can play 32 mpg.

Plowman likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

doubt it. there's way too many frontcourt players ahead of capela for him to barely miss it

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

14/10, playing 28 minutes a game

14. JJBKLYN

JJBKLYN New Member

hes gonna be our rim protector and be there for lobs...i see more responsibility on defense caz he can handle it, definitely not less....and i do not see 10 foot hook shots in this teams future...I do think he is a big part to this teams success without him we have no rim protector and defense gets really bad.....I wish we would sign another rim protector

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I was pretty down on Capela until he perked up in the playoffs.

He needs to play more mins, rebound better in traffic and finish stronger in traffic. He's fine with uncontested dunks and alley-oops (CP3 is a much better alley-oop passer than Harden). The problem is he often tries to finish with too much finesse. More often he should just jump up and tomahawk it over people.

Clint also has to stop the disappearing act and play like a big boy when the going gets rough.

16. bigred77

bigred77 Member

That's what I think. 30mpg. Give me 15/10/2.

Garbage man on offense. Rim protection on D. Stop getting bullied so much by the big boys of the NBA.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

To be better than Deadman and Chinuanauna Onuanuanauku

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I say 17, 10, 2 (blocks), 1 steal.... makes 2nd team All-Defense because people paying attention to Rox

Plowman likes this.
  19. basketballholic

Doesn't work that way. Our defense is specifically designed to deny and contest the three. That means the interior defense has to be able to intimidate opponents from penetrating the paint enough to get them to take that 18 footer more often and drive to the rim a lot less.

With increased perimeter defensive pressure it only ramps up the pressure on our interior defenders. And frankly, we're not going to be that much better defensively on the perimeter. Paul for Bev is a wash defensively. Aria is still your starter at the 3. And Melo for Anderson is a wash on the defensive perimeter. (Melo is a nice upgrade defensively on the interior to Anderson though). It comes down to PJT and LMM taking the minutes that Dekker, Harrell, Brewer, and Lou. So a defensive upgrade there. But it's not like Dekker, Harrell, and Brewer didn't defend.

However, we were at the bottom of the league in layups/dunks given up, defensive field goal efficiency at the rim and in the paint, and defensive rebounding efficiency. So when the opponent rarely missed one of their many, many dunks/layups they were getting the board and stuffing it back down our throats on the putback at an alarming rate.

You can make all the excuses you want but that comes down to the big horse in the middle. We had good help rebounding. Harden and Bev were both near the top of their respective positions and size classes in rebounding. Yet we still drug the bottom.

Capela was 22nd in drb%, 27th in drtg, and 23rd in dws among big men who played over 1000 minutes last season. For him to be a net positive for us on the floor he needs to move into the top ten in these three categories while increasing his minutes up to 28-30 a game. Forget catching more lobs. The lobs are gonna be there and somebody is gonna catch them. We NEED that defensive anchor. He's got to become that for us to win a championship if he's going to be our man in the middle.

#19 basketballholic, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    nemac and Riz like this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

At best I think 14/10/1.5

Don't think his points go up too high because we gave up 9.5pts (Bev) for 18pts (CP3)