1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lonzo Ball thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Jul 8, 2017.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Interested in how he progresses in his rookie season. He looked REALLY bad in his summer league debut.

2/15 from the field
    1/10 from the 3 point line

Good court vision but he seems disinterested on defense and his shot obviously needs some touching up.

2. King901

King901 Member

Court vision was all that I saw. When he didn't have the ball in his hands he looked like he could care less.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Lonzo is going to be the GOAT. Better than Curry even. First page.

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

He looked careless at times and disinterested and i don't think hes gonna be special. while the other top picks rlooked really good, on a side note, Fox was balling

lw17 and rockpileindisma like this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Did you see the shot of Magic Johnson's face near the end? Priceless!

TracywtFacy likes this.
  6. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Just because of his dad I hope he is one of the greatest busts of all time (it doesn't help he is a Laker either).

lw17 and rockpileindisma like this.
  7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I cant help but shakke my head at this kids dad... Pressure burst pipes and this kid aint ready for the limelight... Hope he balls but his dad is sickening to listen to.

lw17 and Easy like this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm very interesting in watching him, not because I think he is destined to be a star.

But because I cannot wait for much better, stronger, disciplined players chomping at the bit to embarrass him out there on the court because of all the talking his father has done.

lw17 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There a Lavar thread?

annoyin dad manager

#9 daywalker02, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  10. CallMeTheDream

Lonzo Bust is really something ain't he lol.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Lonzo "Air" Ball couldn't defend, drive, shoot or finish at the rim.
    When will the Rubio comparisons begin? :eek:

ghettocheeze likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

good thing I never watched him closely.

The hype was too much.

lw17 likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

HAHAHA YES F*** THE 20 YEAR OLD KID CAUSE HIS DAD

Chill the heck out guys. It's his first game after being drafted. To me he looked like he was nervous and his father is probably the type who didn't like him to appear nervous. Didn't look good at all. But everyone is quick to make a bet.

Williamson and Easy like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

I didn't watch most of the game, because I was busy laughing about Thon Maker.
    But from what I read on analysts whose opinion I respect his problem was not the 3pnt shot only but more importantly that he couldn't drive past even the corpse of Kendal Marshall.
    Now even he shoots better, if he can't drive then we have a serious problem here.

Defence sucks anyway.

I think his dad is a genius and knows very well what he's doing. He got everyone talking about his brand. If you want to make a name of yourself in the shoe business normal methods are not possible. He has established a crazy persona and everyone is paying attention.

rm365 and Mathloom like this.
  15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

it's one game...

court vision is there obviously, passes weren't smooth at all though.

jumper was off tonight but he can definitely shoot the rock.

he wasn't really aggressive on his drives (as far as trying to finish) but he could definitely get past marshall lol. blew by him when he wanted to at the end at will, just didn't finish or overpassed.

and he actually played good defense today. if you're basing that off a brice johnson mismatch in the post, then the bias is already predetermined.

if you root for the kid to fail because of his dad and judge him off one summer league game without actually seeing the package that he brought in college, then it's your loss tbh.

with that said, he's definitely one of the players more prone to bust because of his game not translating, but i think he'll be fine. you can't teach court vision and this is not even close to rubio or rondo 2.0

tiger0330 likes this.
  16. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Was Lavar there bloviating?

17. abaker28

abaker28 Member

1st game, so will give him a free pass and reserve judgement for the moment. I'm not gonna wish failure on a 20yr old kid, even if his father is a tool. But 1 from 11 is a worry.

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Frankenberry noooooooo!!!

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To me, even his highlights looked terrible, which is hard to achieve lol

And while I haven't seen much of his career except some highlight clips, in the summer league he looks mentally overwhelmed. Something is dominating his mind. That's not how a sports player looks in competition. Something is going on there mentally, from the little bit I've seen.

You say his dad is a genius, but I find it possible his dad has overloaded this kid with expectations. Who knows if Anthony Bennett would be a good player if he was a #43 pick. Many things shape a person's path. If his father has secured the rookie scale $10m-15m guaranteed money with his antics, it could be at the cost of more than that.

At the very same time, I think I'm in stark opposition to most about something else: I believe Magic Johnson is a total moron, and the environment in which the Lakers made their draft pick (lack of preparation, organization/people shifting, Lakers historically) could easily result in them making a bad pick. I think between Magic and Pelinka, they have no idea what makes a good player.

I'm interested in how this all turns out. For the sake of the kid, I hope it turns out well, because if he is a bust then he is fragile now and will fall HARD.

malakas likes this.
  20. JohnMac82

JohnMac82 Member

He looked like Carmelo did last year... That's who they are bringing to the team, y'all!