1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey screwed over in EOY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jun 27, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

How did he not win it? This to me is the biggest travesty! Signing a guy who wanted to come to your team in the worst way gets you an award nowadays?? Morey had to fight for Howard with no recognition and this off-season built the almost perfect roster for a new coach right away! The Warriors worship is sickening

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respect Anderson's contributions but I was against giving him a max contract. If Morey had gotten a better player instead of him, I would have voted for him as the EOY.

3. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

espn basically cut off all the votes from other teams, so now you have the royce youngs, ethan struass, and even michelle beadle voting. ESPN owns the nba right now, sure turner sports might broadcast a few playoff games and thursday night games, but ESPN controls the NBA now. They didnt fire all those employees not to have a say in who wins what award.

If i was a betting man i would putting down money on KAT, or the greek freak to win mvp next year, a new precendent has been set you can be a 6th seed and still win mvp.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  4. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

dude what are you talking about, for much of the year anderson was worth the money, this is nothing but more warriors media worship. We hired a new coach after finishing 41-41, we signed 2 free-agents. and finished with the 3rd best record in the league, morey also traded for lou williams

kevin durant made up his mind to sign with the warriors after draymon green convinced him during last years wcf, so yes morey like harden did get screwed

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

As much as I thought money should have won, there is a case for the gsw guy.

Forget about KD, and look at why gsw had enough money to pay him. It takes good GMing to sign curry, klay and dray to cheap contracts. the only argument against this is the luck of timing with the cap rising when it did.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

can't win every award. we already won the majority of the awards, if Harden and Morey had won, they might as well rename the show.

7. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

but the myers guy won it before, how long is he gonna keep living off that curry 44 million dollar contract

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly! Also Morey had done amazing work for years to be able to get Harden and Dwight

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Myers needs to share his award with draymond

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey doesn't deserve to win EoY, his moves while decent just basically erased the horrible season the Rox had previously, basically it just took him out of the hotseat and I say this as one of the biggest Morey supporters on the board. He definitely did a good job this year but I felt like Cavs and GSW did it better.

First of all MDA hiring wasn't Morey's idea, it was Les Alexander who wanted him if Alexander didn't put his foot down we would have gotten a defensive coach and of course no historic offensive season. Secondly Morey whiffed on his FA signings, he really wanted Horford and KD but KD didn't even want to talk to the Rox and Horford flat out turned the Rox down. Morey also wanted Bazemore who turned out to be garbage, that was just a missed bullet. Getting Gordon at 15M was A+ move, but he signed Anderson to that ridiculous 18M 4 yr contract we now need to dump if we want a Max FA. He also traded our pick and expiring contract for Lou will who has underwhelmed in the playoffs.

OTH what did Minny, Celtics and GSW do? GSW convinced KD to be a p***y and sign with them, Celtics added even more assets to their stockpile AND reached ECF the same year they drafted top 1 in the lottery. Minny just got Butler at a steep discount. Lots of other teams did more than Morey and the Rox this year.

getbloodyred likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Maury doesn't deserve **** for awards except an extra super sized meal at McD's. Real talk here as to why Maury lucked into people thinking he had a great off season.

1. Maury's summer plan was to throw $70MM at Kent scrubby Bazemore. Fortunately, he turned us down which was a blessing and then we got Eric Gordon who was instrumental in our season.

2. Unlce Le$ finally took the coaching decision off Maury and hired Mike Antonio - the COY. Remember Maury is the guy who said coaching doesn't matter and fired Adelman and went on to hire "clap clap" McFail and extend him and also BJ Brewerstaff and chris Finch.

3. Maury threw away cap space at Ryan Anderson. Make no mistake Ryan Anderson is a very good player - but OFF the bench and not at $20 MM per. Now we will have to throw away some assets to get rid of that contract

4. He grew an extra set of chins which really doesn't make good for NBA awards viewing.

FoOLiSh_AzN likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

People forget that Bazemore had to play with Dwight this season, and surprise surprise, they sucked compared to their previous seasons. Dwight killed their spacing and offense, there were reports for all season long about how every Hawk was shooting better when Dwight was off the court, and just look at the playoffs, they went down 20 in two games with Washington and as soon Dwight was sit they came back lol.

Losing Horford for Howard was a bad move for Atlanta...i wonder if that's what costed Bud his gm role. I actually wonder how good we would've been with Horford and Bazemore here...i'd still take EG over Bazemore (even though it's easy to say now that he finally played an entire season without losing at least 30 games for the first time in his career), but i'd also take Horford + Bazemore over Anderson + Gordon.

Anyway yeah, i don't get why Myers won this, he's a great gm, top 3/5 in the league to me, but this season he didn't do anything to earn it. Presti did more than him all things considered lol.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

June 30, 2016 - - what would the projected wins have been for GSW and Rox? That body of work from the summer and through the season is pretty indicative of the most valuable front office executive.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He probably should have won it this year.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't be mad. D'Antoni won Coach of the Year. Eric Gordon 6th Man of the Year. Bev was 1st team All Defense. Harden was the only unanimous first team All NBA.

Sure, Harden should have been MVP and there were arguments for Morey as Executive of the Year and Capela for Most Improved Player, but you can't win em' all.

#15 Williamson, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey lost by 2 votes.

RiceRockets and rgw20014life like this.
  17. seeingred

seeingred Member

Wait until Colangelo wins it next year...

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It'd be a total #conspiracy if the voters didn't acknowledge the other Rockets players while claiming Harden's team was stocked with snipers, etc...

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

I mean literally you countered your own point on why GSW was able to sign Durant. Meyers deserves ZERO credit for having just enough space to get KD with the salary cap ballooning.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. Zergling

Zergling Member

You have to wonder if idiots like the above even care about the Rockets. What true Rockets fan would actually try to argue with a straight face that Morey didn't deserve EOY? Your argument is basically hypotheticals and finding ways to remove credit from the guy who makes the decisions when it's all said and done. Pathetic