1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which player in this draft is the most like Draymond?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, May 23, 2017.

1. basketballholic

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think OG is the most similar defensively, that being said one of Greens biggest talents is his passing and ball handling, I don't see anybody similar too him given that aspect of his game.

Maybe Deonte Burton? He doesn't pass, but he certainly has better ball handling skills compared to OG, as well as a similar defense impact.

#2 ThatBoyNick, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. basketballholic

What about Bell?

4. Mr. Motiejunas

Morey will draft Nigel Hayes. 6'6 PF. Warmly welcome.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I mean again, tweener bigs that hustle and are active on defense aren't hard to find (Nigel Hayes isn't special on D)

What's harder to find is the ones that also have a 3pt jumper (Bell doesn't currently).

Whats impossible to find, is one that on top of everything above, can also pass and handled the ball. Green averaged 4 assist per game in college for two seasons. Nobody has the defense, 3pt shot and ball handling/passing that Green had, I think Burton is the closest to Green. Outside of that, I would go to Josh Jackson, then you can list guys like OG/Oliver

6. basketballholic

I think Jordan Bell is the player most like Green in this draft. Bell has similar size, just a tad bigger than Green, same athleticism, and in my opinion he's the best defender in the draft.

Green did not have a three-ball when he came into the league. He developed a three ball his second and third seasons. And he's not a great three ball shooter now. Just adequate.

Bell also had the pick and roll game with the ability to find shooters himself in the paint area.

But his defense....man. He's ferocious. The defensive game, the ability to defend the paint and play small ball 5, in my opinion it's all there. He simply needs to develop a three ball to round out his offensive versatility.

I'm posting about him here instead of the sleeper thread because I simply can't see him getting out of the first round. I'll be shocked if everybody passes on him and he goes in the second. I'd think the Warriors, if nobody else, would easily draft him if he's still on the board. (And yes, I'd trade Lou Williams for him.)

In my opinion, Bell is the closest player to Draymond in this draft.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Green actually made 1.4 three's per game at 39% his senior year, and 1.1 three's made at 36% from three his junior year. So I disagree about him not being able to shoot in college even though he's just an okay NBA 3pt shooter. Bell has almost no jump shot what so ever (currently).

I do like Bell's defense, I remember brining him up in the sleepers thread, you replied saying he wouldn't make the league and was Europe bound lol.

I like Bell as a prospect but I wouldn't compare him to Green, he doesn't handle the ball nor pass the ball even remotely close to Green. His jump shot is also currently completely undeveloped. He also doesn't have as much strength and weight as Green, I don't think Bell will be able to play much 5. I think Bell will have similar problems as Harrell trying to fit into a offense in the modern NBA without a legit jumper that will allow him to play full time at the 4. To me Bell is a better defensive, rebounding version of Harrell. So if he develops a jumper, he could be a very good player, but if he doesn't he will struggle to crack rotations.

8. basketballholic

When Green came into the NBA he did not have an NBA three point shot. He shot 20% from three his rookie season. It really wasn't until last season that he was a plus three point shooter. And this season he was once again subpar. And In fact, if you look at Efg and TS, Draymond is not even an efficient overall shooter or scorer.

Yes, I did say I didn't see anything in Bell. But I hadn't studied his game and didn't have measurable. I had looked at a little video and his advanced stats analysis. He fell out of my screening process mainly due to the poor three point shooting.

But then after seeing his measurables and doing a deep dive into his defense (which cannot really be studied other than the eye test) I have decidedly changed my mind on him. Is it okay if I checked my mind after receiving mute info and watching more video? I think he's a first rounder. That's how good he is defensively. I think he's the top defender in this draft.

I also think he's the player in this draft most like Green. Not exactly like Green. But the most like Green of any player in this draft. The comparison is with other players in this draft. I don't see any other players that are the defensive monster this guy is, which is really Draymond's greatest skill. While at the same time Bell possesses the skills to be a pick-and-roll big man. To me, that's as close to Green as you can get in this draft.

Save for possibly Jonah Bolden.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well I'll take this as saying "Which player in this draft is the most like Green on the defensive end". Bell is your pick, and I respect that opinion. I think that Bell, Burton, OG, JoshJ and Isaac all have the potential to make tremendous impacts on the defensive end as forwards.

Again comparing them as a whole though, I think it's apples to oranges considering Green's offensive ball handling, passing and shooting. Green is an elite passer for a big and that skill set is almost as impressive as his defense. My point on the shooting is that when Green came into the league he already had multiple seasons of good 3pt shooting under his belt, it's a skill he already developed. He wasn't effective his first couple of seasons in the NBA but that doesn't mean that he didn't already have a shot developed. Bell as a 3 year man has near zero in game shot development. I'm not saying he can't develop a shot, it's that he doesn't have it in his game currently and Green did when he was in college.

One comment I'll make on the defensive comparison that you are making between Bell and Green, is that I'm not sure Bell will be able to hold 5's in the NBA. Green's ability to guard centers effectively at his size is amazing, he has serious strength and a low center of gravity like Hayes did, Bell seems lighter and more moveable. I think he will likely have to play near full time PF (which means he has to develop a jumper to crack rotations).

#9 ThatBoyNick, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017