1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keuchel

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Apr 26, 2017.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Keuchel is a FA after next season. He looks like he's back to '15 form.

It's certainly interesting to discuss what it might take to resign guys like Altuve and Correa, but as we all know it's about pitching. Take Keuchel off this team and they're not a contender (obviously).

When DK hits free agency expect the Yankees to go after him hard. Also keep in mind that Keuchel's wife (Mackenzie Valk) is from the NY area.

Thoughts on what he's potentially looking at? Thinking 5yr/150 mil to 6 yr/185 mil (or more).

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Keuchel's not a FA until 2019. Lock it up ban OP

3. the shark

the shark Member

Please show me where he's not a FA until 2019 as I just looked at numerous sites on the Internet and every single one of them say he's a FA after next season.

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Yeah, it's after 2018. To your original point about what kind of offer to extend to him... I think he's going to be one of the most difficult decisions that Luhnow/Crane will have to make. You look at him and he's obviously our best pitcher and the way he's pitching right now, you would definitely hate to lose him. But, I think the big question is whether or not, after what will likely be a heavy work load this season and next season provided he stays healthy, how much more would he have left in the tank after 2018 going into his age 31 season? If you believe that his command and his velocity are sustainable until he's 34-35 then I think it's a no-brainer to try to sign him to a 5yr $90-100 million deal. But if you have legitimate concerns about his ability to maintain his command and velocity into his mid-30's then I don't think it would be a terrible idea to let him go to a team like the Yankees that would probably be a little more willing to offer him a massive contract.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What makes you think the Yankees are going to throw around big money? They seem to be past making stupid contracts.

Nobody is likely to hand Keuchel a deal that long.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That's true. I guess that they are still the natural team to assume that they're going to throw all kinds of money at players. Anyways, maybe it wouldn't be the Yankees, but I could see someone giving him a 5 year deal.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Honestly not thinking about it. If he studs for the next 2 years, we'll worry about it afterwards.

Having said that, Keuchel doesn't strike me as the type who would give a f**k where his SO wanted him to play.

kaleidosky and texans1095 like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We basically have a 2 year window to win. Altuve, Kuechal are both going to command 20mil+. Correa and Springer are going to want big deals. Those 4 guys alone could cost 80mil and crane is cheap.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We really don't know if that is a true statement or not.

Thus far he has been true to his word and increased payroll every season.

10. juicystream

Long term the team probably tries hard to keep 2 of their stars. I'd hitch my wagon to that being Correa & Altuve. If Keuchel demands more than 3 years, I don't see the team keeping him.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't see why he wouldn't. It's probably his one and only shot at a $100m contract and 3 years ain't getting that done.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think he may be one of the easiest, actually. He'll be 31 in the first year of his new deal, right? I would guess there's zero chance they'll extend him and/or sign him (beyond him giving them some ridiculous hometown deal that is both financially reasonable, as well as short).

I think the Astros will spend - but I don't think they'll throw money at the (likely) declining years of a players' career.

texans1095 and juicystream like this.
  13. juicystream

Because the market has to be willing to pay it. James Shields was a really good pitcher that had to wait a long time to get a 4 year deal. I think Keuchel will get a 4 year deal, unless his 2018 is a bust, just that it won't be from us.

14. Buck Turgidson

Back to Keuchel (didn't see this posted anywhere)...

The biggest Stros fan in the national media had this to say:

That tweet [he's responding to a Kaplan tweet describing the game] doesn't tell the whole story in a game that featured a little bit of everything, including a scary collision in the outfield between Jose Altuve and Teoscar Hernandez. The great thing about Keuchel's complete game is that A.J. Hinch left him in, even after Keuchel gave up a leadoff homer in the ninth to Michael Brantley. Hinch left him with the tying run at the plate and Keuchel closing in on 110 pitches.

Keuchel responded by striking out Jason Kipnis and retiring Brandon Guyer on a hard grounder that Carlos Correa fielded on a diving stop and throw. While Keuchel's 1.22 ERA is a sign that he's throwing again like he did in 2015, these side-by-side heat maps verify what we're seeing in the results:

[​IMG]

What was the knock against the Astros before the season? They don't have an ace. It looks like they have an ace, which is a scary thought for the rest of the AL West.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/...raziest-strangest-saddest-night-of-the-season

It's a good post, you should read the whole thing, if only for the video of Chris Coghlan's ridiculously awesome non-slide.

15. toycannon

toycannon Member

We will need to pay a big contract if we want any top ace and that will mean atleast 4 to 5 years at 100m to 150m. If Keuchel will accept a 4 year 100m to 125m deal we should give it to him.

16. Hey Now!

Not if said ace can be developed internally.

There are probably a 1,000 angles to it ultimately - but the Astros being so bullish on moving Martes and/or Tucker could very easily be read as them looking beyond Keuchel and Springer. I think this is correct - but among the core, they'll be the oldest when their deals end, right?

texans1095 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

They hit FA first, correct.

18. Hey Now!

Keuchel and Springer will both be 31 at the end of their current deals; Altuve 29, Correa 27 (gulp), Bregman 29. I'll be shocked if Keuchel and Springer were offered extensions and/or market-value deals. I think they'll both walk and the Astros will gladly let another team overpay for their decline years.

I think age is an area the Astros are going to be cut-throat.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They are bottom half of the league in payroll. They should have been top 10 this and next since pretty soon they will have to start paying guys.

20. toycannon

toycannon Member

If that is the case with the organization, they should trade them for younger prospects like the White sox with Seles.