1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Rockets - the team looks different

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Apr 22, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this isn't a complaint thread. Still see the Rockets winning this in 5 or 6.

It's just observational. The team just LOOKS different. It might all come down to Ariza being so out of it. And every time he passes on a corner three it's like wtf there goes the whole strategy.

It could be the shortened rotation. Think there was opportunity for Trez last night.

It certainly has something to do with the Thunders defense which was good all season.

But the comment is the team just looks different. They are coming out slow and finishing games more strongly. This is the exact opposite of how hey performed all season. They're not jacking a trillion threes. There's a different flow to the offense.

Is it playoff basketball or specific to this matchup?

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Our philosophy was built for the regular season, MDA relies on Harden and small ball even more and we always knew defense would be turned up.

ak99999 likes this.
  3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'll give credit to the Thunder's game plan on making sure there always a defender at the 3 but I know what you mean. Where's the team that was hoisting 40+ threes in the regular season? Harden has been amazing so far and the role players have stepped up in each game. My one constant complaint has been Ariza. We desperately need an upgrade at the 3 this summer.

ak99999 and Richie_Rich like this.
  4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

It's confidence in our shooters. Anderson, Gordon and Ariza haven't been hitting threes. Yes, Gordon hit a clutch one in game two. However, our shooters just don't have confidence in their shots. Plus, OKC plays so far on the three point line, yet no one back cuts. You have to get more basket drives if they continue to press us on the three point line.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

There was one cut to the basket last night and that was Harden from Lou and it was beautiful. Wish we could see more of that.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do we look different than the first 3 games against OKC in regular season though. In two of those games the 1st Q score was:

Nov 16th 1st Q
    38-32 OKC led and won by 2

Jan 5th 1st Q
    38-33 OKC led but lost by 2

-------- Playoffs ---------
    Game 2 1Q
    35-26 OKC led lost by 4

Game 3 1Q
    34-25 OKC led and won by 2

Patience, Pen15clubber and hakeem94 like this.
  7. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Our philosophy was built for any basketball game.

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

RIGHT! That's what we need more of, they have the paint open 24/7 yet. No one is cutting to the basket. Ariza should be doing this.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Nope, still too much Harden and threes. Need to get more cuts, ball movement and use of midrange.

ISOBall likes this.
  10. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Lou also back cut once but missed the layup...possible contact

Justin Dela Torre likes this.
  11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Great post. The series has played out as 1 would have expected. Rockets have the firepower to blow out OKC but when 3s not falling it's going to come down to a coin flip.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's not my take away.
    Threes didn't fall in Game 1, 31pt blowout. Only made 10, and we were 4-11 when making 10 or less.

The defense and intensity in 1st half is killing is. No?

ak99999, CapelaOnlyFan, adw and 2 others like this.
  13. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

What the Rockets need to do is retool the forward and center positions.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Unleash Trey Williams and Trezl Huurrell

ak99999 and Jontro like this.
  15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

You're right. I believe it was from Capela or Nene. I'm not sure why we're not running more backdoor screens with Nene as the high post passer.

16. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

The Rockets played with more defensive intensity in game 1 than I've seen in any game in the entire season. Even though the threes weren't falling they won big. Everyone defended and rebounded and they won without hitting 20 threes. Just shows what they can do when they work on the defensive end. They may get away with taking 3 quarters off against OKC but the next 2 rounds are a different story.

heypartner likes this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The thunder shot 55% and barely won.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This...they played their best game but only won by two...Russell post game interview on the court said it all "Ive got to make my FTs." If Harden's shot went down...Russell wouldve been crucified by the media for his FT misses and this series wouldve been over Sunday.

Patience, Pen15clubber and BigMaloe like this.
  19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't mind them losing the road games as long as they take care of their home games. But I wanted them to sweep the Thunder because I hate the annoying Westbrook fans. The Rockets need to get their defense going from the start of the games.

20. rockets13champs

you think Thunder defense is good wait till Round 2