1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] San Antonio vs. Memphis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 12, 2017.

?

(2)San Antonio vs. (7)Memphis

Poll closed Apr 15, 2017.
  1. Spurs in 4

18.6%
  2. Spurs in 5

34.3%
  3. Spurs in 6

25.7%
  4. Spurs in 7

7.1%
  5. Grizzlies in 7

7.1%
  6. Grizzlies in 6

5.7%
  7. Grizzlies in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Grizzlies in 4

1.4%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

(2)San Antonio vs. (7)Memphis
    Game 1: Saturday, April 15 Memphis at San Antonio 7:00pm ESPN
    Game 2: Monday, April 17 Memphis at San Antonio 8:30pm TNT
    Game 3: Thursday, April 20 San Antonio at Memphis 8:30pm TNT
    Game 4: Saturday, April 22 San Antonio at Memphis 7:00pm ESPN
    Game 5* Tuesday, April 25 Memphis at San Antonio
    Game 6* Thursday, April 27 San Antonio at Memphis
    Game 7* Saturday, April 29 Memphis at San Antonio TNT

#1 J.R., Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    heypartner and Vivi like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spurs 4-1

Rocket River

3. arubato

arubato Member

Grizzlies will steal Game 1

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm pulling for the Grizzlies, but I predict Spurs in 5.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ranking every NBA playoff series by upset potential

5. San Antonio Spurs (2) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (7)
    Along with the Bulls, the Grizzlies were the other underdog who managed to split the regular-season series with the favorite. Memphis won both matchups at home and forced overtime in San Antonio last week before losing.

Still, the Grizzlies have to make up an enormous gap in performance. Teams like the Spurs, whose point differential was at least 5.0 points per game better than their opponent (San Antonio's was a full 6.7 points per game better), are 48-3 in best-of-seven series since 2000.

Upset probability: 14 percent

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You'd think Memphis will steal a game. Conley and Gasol might manage that.

P.S. What idiot would give Chandler Parsons $24,000,000 a season, even if his knees weren't made of shredded wheat?

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This series hopefully goes the distance...The Spurs should win, but never know how the Grizzlies will play. Gasol vs Gasol... very underrated series matchup.

PyroTex likes this.
  8. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Any way you can post the entire article in the NBA dish? My apologies if you already have.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Posted them in all of the individual threads but here ya go:

Despite the favorite-friendly best-of-seven series the NBA adopted for the first round of the playoffs starting in 2003, each of the pst 10 postseasons has featured at least one upset in the opening round.

That streak will probably continue this season. That said, there's no obvious upset pick according to my formula, which is based on the historical odds of winning a playoff series as determined by the two teams' point differential during the regular season along with the results of the head-to-head season series.

Let's take a look at the eight series as ranked by upset probability from this metric, starting with a surprising pick that makes more sense when you look closer.

1. Boston Celtics (1) vs. Chicago Bulls (8)

Could a 1-8 matchup actually have the best chance of what would be just the fifth such upset since the NBA playoffs expanded to 16 teams in 1984?

The reason my model thinks so starts with the fact that Boston's point differential (plus-2.7 points per game) was the lowest for a No. 1 seed since the 1978-79 Seattle SuperSonics (who went on to win the championship, albeit in a much more balanced league). Only the LA Clippers-Utah Jazz series is closer in terms of point differential. On top of that, the Celtics and Bulls split the season series 2-2.

The Celtics also have the least playoff experience (5,461 minutes) of any No. 1 seed since the 2004-05 Phoenix Suns. Dwyane Wade alone (6,380 minutes) has more playoff experience than Boston's entire roster, and Chicago has nearly 7,000 more minutes total. In best-of-seven series since 2000, underdogs with an experience edge between 5,000-10,000 minutes have won about 16 percent more series than my model predicted.

Upset probability: 29 percent

2. LA Clippers (4) vs. Utah Jazz (5)

In terms of team ability, Clippers-Jazz is easily this year's closest first-round series. Home-court advantage between the two teams was decided by tiebreaker, and they posted similar point differentials (plus-4.3 for the Clippers, plus-3.9 for the Jazz) as well as identical records.

Nonetheless, the Clippers are healthy favorites. Home-court advantage is big -- even when the favorite has an edge in point differential between 0 and 0.5 points per game, like this season's Clippers, they've won best-of-seven series 63 percent of the time since 2000. And since head-to-head performance has been an important indicator, and the Clippers won the season series 3-1, which pushes their chances of winning even higher.

Upset probability: 26 percent

3. Washington Wizards (4) vs. Atlanta Hawks (5)

Given their point differential (plus-1.8 ppg) is the weakest of the teams with home-court advantage in the first round, the Wizards should be vulnerable -- except they drew the one playoff team with a worse point differential (minus-0.9 ppg) than the other 15 playoff teams as well as three (the Charlotte Hornets, Denver Nuggets and Miami Heat) that are watching from home.

One possible edge for the Hawks: They're the other underdog with an advantage in terms of playoff experience. Despite their first-round wins in 2014 and 2015, the Wizards have the fewest playoff minutes on their roster of any playoff team this season.

Upset probability: 18 percent

4. Cleveland Cavaliers (2) vs. Indiana Pacers (7)

My model might be overestimating Indiana's chances because the Pacers' head-to-head win against the Cavaliers came with LeBron James resting in November. However, Indiana did take Cleveland to double-OT at Quicken Loans Arena earlier this month before losing an epic game.

So at least the Pacers might become the first team since the 2012 New York Knicks to win a game against James' team in the opening round of the playoffs.

Upset probability: 16 percent

5. San Antonio Spurs (2) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (7)

Along with the Bulls, the Grizzlies were the other underdog who managed to split the regular-season series with the favorite. Memphis won both matchups at home and forced overtime in San Antonio last week before losing.

Still, the Grizzlies have to make up an enormous gap in performance. Teams like the Spurs, whose point differential was at least 5.0 points per game better than their opponent (San Antonio's was a full 6.7 points per game better), are 48-3 in best-of-seven series since 2000.

Upset probability: 14 percent

6. Toronto Raptors (3) vs. Milwaukee Bucks (6)

The Bucks probably look a little friskier as an underdog than they really are by virtue of outperforming their point differential after the All-Star break. Milwaukee went 17-10 while getting outscored by 1.1 points per game.

Toronto, meanwhile, went 18-7 after the break despite not getting All-Star guard Kyle Lowry back in the lineup until last week. The Raptors, who sport the Eastern Conference's best point differential (plus-4.2 ppg), should be comfortable favorites.

Upset probability: 13 percent

7. Houston Rockets (3) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (6)

Going by head-to-head record might underrate the Thunder, who lost the season series 3-1 to the Rockets but were close in every game, three of which were decided by three points or fewer.

At the same time, because Oklahoma City plus-0.8 differential fell short of the team's 47-35 record, Houston had a five-point edge in differential. Teams with an advantage between four and six points per game during the regular season are 45-4 in best-of-seven series since 2000.

Upset probability: 11 percent

8. Golden State Warriors (1) vs. Portland Trail Blazers (8)

While the East's 1-8 series might be close, the Blazers would need a historic upset to beat the Warriors, who posted the fourth-best differential in NBA history (plus-11.6 ppg). Golden State also swept four head-to-head matchups against Portland, though all four games came before the Blazers added Jusuf Nurkic in a February trade.

Portland was far better with Nurkic, who missed the team's final seven games of the regular season with a non-displaced fracture of his right fibula and is expected to be reevaluated prior to the start of the playoffs. In Nurkic's 19 starts, the Blazers went 14-5 with a plus-5.3 differential.

Upset probability:

ShutURBiG! likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

How did this game get the prime time slot?

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Go Grizzlies

12. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

I predict Spurs in 6. I pray for 7 hard fought games in overtime, no injuries for either team but lotza tired MoFo's:):D

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't think it is. People generally aren't home on Saturday nights, and I'm guessing the ratings flush that out. I think the Sunday night game might actually be the one people watch most. It's also why generally, the NFL puts the best game of the day on Sunday night.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

wishful thinking, but I think Spurs 4-2. Wear them out Memphis!

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. Lightsnowaction

Should have picked a sweep, forgot about Tony Allen's injury.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I say Spurs in 6, i don't see the Grizzlies upset here, but i hope they can put up a good fight and tire the old guys a bit.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Grizzlies had the final game, too....the OT game where SAS tied the score on a lob to the rim on inbounds play starting with 2 seconds left. Both Conley and Gasol were unavailable for that play, and all of overtime because Conley got cut and Gasol was returning from inactive list and on restricted minutes.

That was Memphis' game to win series 3-1. This is not a good matchup for the Spurs. And Conley is the most clutch player on the court.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tony Allen (calf) has been diagnosed with a strain of the medial gastrocnemius muscle in his right leg and will be out indefinitely.

According to the team he "will be continually re-evaluated while beginning rehab immediately." Allen suffered the injury in the first half on Wednesday, so that has to sting even more considering that game meant nothing to the Grizzles. With Allen out, Kawhi Leonard should have an easier time and post some big numbers after a subpar season series against them. Expect Vince Carter, Troy Daniels and maybe James Ennis to pick up some extra minutes.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Crap...can I edit my post above. Kawhi's less than MVP year against them is part of the reason SAS looked beatable against them.

20. JazzLakerHater

I feel like these two play against each other every year