1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Blinebury] James Harden at ease surrounded by capable supporting cast with the Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love this mostly for the P Bev quote:

“I don’t believe in resting,” said his backcourt partner Pat Beverley. “I think that’s (expletive). I think that’s a disgrace to this league. I think fans deserve better. I could care less if coaches ask players to rest or not. That’s up to you to play or not. And if you don’t, you’re disrespecting the game. And I don’t agree with disrespecting the game because there was a time when I wasn’t playing in the NBA and I was try to get here. To me, resting is disrespect to me, disrespect to the name on the front of the jersey and disrespecting the name on the back of the jersey.

here's the link: http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/...s-about-his-business-efficient-manner-houston

James Harden at ease being surrounded by capable supporting cast with the Houston Rockets
    In battle of MVP candidates, Rockets guard spreads wealth around while Russell Westbrook labors to 36th triple-double of season
    [​IMG]
    Fran Blinebury NBA.com
    @franblinebury
    Mar 26, 2017 9:02 PM ET

HOUSTON -- He had already played 36 minutes and done everything to nail shut the crate and put the Thunder on ice when James Harden drove to the basket one more time.

The layup went down and so did Harden, taking bumps from Enes Kanter and Jerami Grant and landing hard on his left wrist along the baseline.

Now it was finally OK to take him out of the game with 38.2 seconds left in another day at the Rockets’ shooting gallery that produced a 137-125 win.

This was another one of those games that was hyped by ABC and everybody else that hasn’t been paying attention as a late-season showdown between Harden and Russell Westbrook with the KIA MVP Award up for grabs.

From coast-to-coast there were sandwiches made, cold beers popped and feet propped up expecting to see Westbrook and Harden try to put Devin Booker’s 70-point game from Friday night somewhere in the rearview mirror.

Westbrook did his part, firing in 18 of his 39 points in a fourth quarter that began with his team down by 25.

But rather than go tit-for-tat, shot-for-shot, Harden did what he has been doing all season — no more and no less than has been necessary to get the next win.

Look, Harden has more weapons at his disposal than Westbrook and he knows it. So he knows when and when not to pull the trigger.

Somebody mentioned in the post-game locker room to teammate Trevor Ariza that Harden didn’t put up numbers on Sunday.

[​IMG]
    Russell Westbrook may have won the statistical battle, but James Harden's team carried the load in the battle of MVP candidates.

“Are you kidding?” Ariza asked. “Look at those numbers.”

They were 22 points, 12 assists and five rebounds.

Maybe not as gaudy as Westbrook’s 36th triple-double of the season, but far more deadly and effective.

“I don’t think that in his mind he was trying to prepare himself to play 1-on-1 with somebody,” Ariza said. “This is a team game and the main focus for him is winning.”

With Harden pulling the levers and setting the table, the Rockets got 31 points from Lou Williams and 24 points, six rebounds and six assists from Ariza. The Houston bench — Williams, Nene and Sam Dekker — piled up a combined 56 points, 12 rebounds, eight assists and three steals on 21-for-28 shooting. Assuming starter Ryan Anderson (sprained ankle) is fully mended, that bench will also have Eric Gordon when the playoffs begin.

So while he can light the fuse on those 40 and 50 point explosions at any time, this is Harden at his most capable and dangerous.

“I think that’s gonna go further in the playoffs,” he said. “We’re gonna need everybody playing a high level and as long as they know I have confidence and trust in them, no matter when it is, whether it’s the first play of the game or the last play of the game, that’s gonna get me further than anything else.”

“He understood that Eric Gordon and Trevor and Lou Williams were going off,” said Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni. “He could’ve easily gotten 40 points and he could’ve just kept on going…But he knew those guys were going and he threw the ball their way. He just plays the game the way it should be played.”

Harden stood in front of his locker dissecting the win and looking ahead to the postseason while barely glancing down at the extensive tape job that ran from his left forearm to halfway down his fingers. When asked if he’ll keep playing, Harden simply broke into a wide grin for the TV cameras.

“The Denver game (Monday) he fell on it,” D’Antoni said “In New Orleans (Friday) he was iffy to play. But he played and it’s just something he’s going to have to put up with the rest of the year. It’s tendon. He jammed it. You never know. Look, if he needs a rest, he’ll rest to get well.”

But if you know Harden, you know he never wants to rest and that is another attribute that spreads throughout every nook and corner of the Rockets’ roster.

“I don’t believe in resting,” said his backcourt partner Pat Beverley. “I think that’s (expletive). I think that’s a disgrace to this league. I think fans deserve better. I could care less if coaches ask players to rest or not. That’s up to you to play or not. And if you don’t, you’re disrespecting the game. And I don’t agree with disrespecting the game because there was a time when I wasn’t playing in the NBA and I was try to get here. To me, resting is disrespect to me, disrespect to the name on the front of the jersey and disrespecting the name on the back of the jersey.

“Is James gonna play? Of course.”

It has been a splendid season of individual accomplishments throughout the league. From the mind-boggling numbers of Harden and Westbrook to the both-ends-of-the-floor brilliance of Kawhi Leonard to the nightly production of LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

“The league is getting better all the way around,” Harden said. “You’ve got younger guys like Booker who score 70. Isaiah Thomas in Boston. John Wall in Washington as well.

“The league is growing. Guys are getting better, more athletic. Bigs are shooting 3s now. It’s fun to watch. I know I’m happy to be a part of it and I just gotta continue to go.”

Fran Blinebury has covered the NBA since 1977. You can e-mail him here, find his archive here and follow him on Twitter.

Deckard, Reeko, Rodman23 and 8 others like this.
  2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Who's Fran Blinebury???

Sounds like a weirdo.

Deuce, TMac'n, Rodman23 and 6 others like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Luv Bev, but that's some chip-on-the-shoulder stuff. I prefer the way Westbrook and Harden say it ... They love to play the game ... they love to compete...it's not like work to them ... so they are going to lace it up.

D-rock, DonKnock and ico4498 like this.
  4. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

Beard does it old school point guard. Tries to get everybody involved, when some one gets hot keep goin to them, I scream at my TV sometimes
    when he gives away a sure shot for him to get one of his teammates a basket, especially if they miss or it's a TO. But that is the definition of a good PG. He can still take over & force his will. Pretty impressive for his 1st year as PG.

5. payaso

payaso Member

Guessing you're not one of the OG 99 crowd...

Fran used to be Chronicle Rockets feature writer (can't really call him the beat writer, I think that was Eddie Sefko back in the 90s)... he was a lot cornier / hokier back in those days - his writing style has smoothed out since working for NBA.com.

Glad this is a positive article but it's all fool's gold until they can close out the Spurs in the last 5 minutes of a game...

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Even though Blinebury is a weirdo, he did vote for Harden 2 years ago when it was Harden vs Curry. And even after the tiff gettin' weird with Beard. I'd be surprised if he didn't vote Harden this year.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

respect Bev's take, he paid his dues to get into the league, so i understand his perspective.

resting players is a sensible approach to the NBA's grind. most definitely should be a part of every coach's long term post season strategy.

the Rockets adopted a sound plan to give Nene his best chance for post season success.

saleem likes this.
  8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I remember Blinebury being super critical when he was at the Chronicle. But since he started writing for NBA.com, it seems he is very positive towards the Rockets.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

different objectives when you're working for the NBA.

10. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Perhaps. I just remember he seemed to have it out for Robert Horry, who was my (second) favorite player on the team. He used to rip on him after every statistically subpar game. I think he viewed him as a slacker, but ignored how clutch he could be in the playoffs.

He used to rag on T-Mac a lot too, but that's a whole different story.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think the 'weirdo' reference was an allusion to when Blinebury dissed Harden and Harden referred to Fran as a weirdo. just a guess.

on edit: http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/24/ja...rdo-locker-room-rockets-unraveling-continues/

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Blinebury has clearly changed his tune about Harden, making him part of the . . . media conspiracy. :cool:

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. OTMax

OTMax Member

The Warriors and Cavs rested players due to scheduling right? Well, do they remember there used to be back-to-back play-off games? That there were times when teams didn't have these fancy, comfortable private jets. These players have it much better with facilities, traveling schedules arguably (used to play some more games against closer teams, and all the best treatment and technology at their disposal compared to the old days. Therefore, Beverley and Harden are 100% correct and the rest are just not. I have zero respect for it, because even if it's an F U to the league, nothing's going to change and doing it against the better team during prime time TV is just silly. The viewers and TV contracts are paying you!

PyroTex likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good article IMO. Good to great quotes from TA,PB and that other guy.

15. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Guessing you missed the joke.

BTW, I'm of the OG '86 crowd and Sefko covered sports for the Houston Post.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. We're in the sweet spot...This is a huge part of what we live for. Go Rockets!

[​IMG]

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harden is maturing in front of our eyes. He is emerging as a leader. This is the biggest gain of the season.

Go Harden! Go Houston Rockets!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually, kind of surprised Harden did not dig out Blinebury's history at the Chron (who actually got fired) and called him out more harsh rather than just being a weirdo.

Compare to what Cousins and Durant did, he is too lay back.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so many mentions of disrespect in such a short passage ...wouldnt it be more efficient if he was to say it just once and have prefixed it with upmost?

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

'Too' laid back? Cool James > DMC and his scorched teams history.

saleem likes this.