1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela the "Center"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This month (11gms)

Clint had posted roughly

14ppg
    9.5 rebounds
    Over 60% fg

25ish mpg

His defense has improved a lot imo but the biggest jump I have seen him take is his rebounding. He's been a menace on the boards this month and I think he will only get better.

I'm coming around on Clint I think his potential is actually really high. He's already a really good offensive center in today's NBA and his rebounding and defensive awareness is starting to catch up.

I would love to see him get his shot blocking back up to we're it was last season but that's is the least of my priorities in terms of his development. I just want him to continue to rotate better on team defense, defend the post and rebound rebound and rebound lol.

What's clints potential?

Can he be a 18/12/2 guy next season? Can he be a center that plays 30+ min a game?

Imo he's starting to trend that way. He looking more and more like the guy before the injury and that's going to be huge heading into the playoffs.

Lawlruschang and roslolian like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Has absolutely improved as a player this year. Very good combo with him and nene. They both help each other as players.

Lawlruschang and da_juice like this.
  3. CALI_MOST_WANTD

I knew he had potential talent but I wasn't sure how he would handle going from backup behind Dwight to starter. But he has handle it well. I hope to see him thrive under the spotlight playoffs time and show the rest of the country what he and we can do as a team.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why the "scare quotes"?

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Thread not that long ago that said Clint was a "power foward" not a center.

Chamillionaire, J.R. and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Probably _holic pushing that crap. best to take his basketball opinions and "inside sauces" with grain and salt.

If it was up to him, he'd trade Harden for Rubio and Capela for Thong Maker

roslolian likes this.
  7. basketballholic

I'd do the second trade, not the first. But that's ok, I know you can't keep facts straight.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has good defensive potential. I hope he will learn to alter shots, and give us some shot blocking too. I don't see much offense potential in him though, and frankly that is disappointing. He has an occasional short jump hook, and all the rest is confined to pick and rolls/ lobs.
    He needs to work much harder in the offseason. Low post footwork, and a jumper would do wonders for him.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It's still crazy to me how much better this team is with Capela/nene instead of dwert/whoever. What a goddamned anchor that fool is.

Honestly, I hope nene stays and is able to be the steady vet and locker room guy for another couple years while they make this run but if Onuaku steps up next year and they have basically 2 Capelas this team will never let up.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

A jumper would be nice and I think it's coming.

Don't really care for a post game, as long as he's playing with harden he will never get post ups.

But he's already one of the best pick and roll bigs in the NBA because he can catch everything and has soft touch around the rim with either hands. Some of the layups he makes on the roll are very hard to finish and he constantly makes them. Plus he's one of the best lob targets in the game.

I think he can be a 15-18ppg player even if he never improves on offense moving foward. Now most of that is because he plays with harden but still pretty impressive none the less.

I mean asik avg almost 11ppg with stone hands next to harden. Capela is doing the same thing but he can catch lobs and bounce passes and it's showing in the box score.

rm365 likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The only knock on Capela, in my eyes, is he's not a strong defensive presence under the basket. There aren't too many of those type of players in the league any longer, it seems.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We should trade Klinca Pela while his value is high.

basketballholic likes this.
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Capela is not a keeper for this team moving forward.

When you are a 3rd year player and the starting center for the 3rd best team in the league but constantly got outplayed by a 35 years old vet on both side of the court, something is seriously wrong.

He is a solid rotation player and that's about it. Thus team and Harden deserve a better big man than him.

14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Think it was JVG during the OKC game who spoke about this and commented that the ball isn't getting stuck with Dwight in the post who isn't great at posting up anyway.

Props to Capella, he's done really well. But I don't ever see him as the go to man displaying dominance. He make's a good Robin, provided he has a Batman like Harden.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  15. saleem

Harden had no problem in posting up D-Mo. Capela is limited on the offensive end. He will face physical and tighter defenses in the playoffs, and more attackers on the defensive end.

16. saleem

To YaoMing#1. I'm sorry for the multiple boxes with your post. I made a mistake, I didn't mean to do that.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

One of the worse defensive plays of the Rox the whole season is the Capela double team help defense.

It's a failure almost 90% of the time, his close in is slow and no pressure at all on the ball handler.

Evertime he did this, it will more than often leave the other teams big for an easy dunk or easy O rebound.

Just horrible play.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Clint Capela has proven himself a useful player. 18/12/2 is overly ambitious in my opinion. 15/10/2 next year would be excellent. However to me those numbers mean little to me because Capela is not the best center on the Rockets (Nene at 35 is) and Capela is not adequate defensively and that is what the Rockets need.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think it has more to do with EG , ryan anderson, and now lou williams. The rockets jacked up a lot of 3s with corey brower, terrance jones and other guys who couldn't shoot 3s. Now they have guys who can hit the 3s.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

He fits like a glove offensively in the PNR with the PNR master Harden and the PNR sensei MDA.

Defense is something that has incrementally gotten better and he will only be 23 in May.