1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden the Rocket vs. Harden the Thunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Mar 23, 2017.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I was curious how Harden did, double-double and triple-double-wise, during his three years with OKC.

Did some poking around, and surprisingly his totals with the Thunder were: 0 triple doubles, 0 double doubles.

Of course, he was just a kid and figuring things out, plus he was a sixth man and saw less time on the court back then. Still, in his last year with the Thunder, he averaged 31.4 minutes per game, not that much less than a starter gets. I was shocked that in that 2011-2012 season (when he won the 6MOY) he didn't get even one double double.

Moving on to Harden the Rocket... He's the man here and his minutes have roughly been between 36-38 over the last five seasons. His double doubles and triple doubles have been:

12/13 - 10-1
    13/14 - 15-1
    14/15 - 25-3
    15/16 - 24-3
    16/17 - 56-19 (in his fewest MPG during any season as a Rocket)

Totals over first 7 years: 74 double doubles, 8 triple doubles
    Totals this season alone: 56 double doubles, 19 triple doubles

What's my point? Well, to be honest, I have none. Sue me.

Just found it interesting how Harden has continued to develop during his time here.

#1 topfive, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Meaningless until he AVERAGES a triple double.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Harden he a machine.

I think we're taking for granted how great he was the last 4 years.

This season at 27 truely is his first year in his prime.

Pretty amazing he was 1st team all NBA 2x and legit MVP candidate for his first 4 years in houston, All that before his prime even began.

He's a special player my guess is he's even better next season and than we see that level of play for a few years after before starting to decline around age 32.

But with that said I think Hardens game and skill level is that of a guy who can be the best player on a championship team till he's 35 he just will need more top end talent after his age 32 season because he'll need to do less heavy lifting during the regulars season.

But 56 double doubles and 19 triple doubles in one season by a guard is historic.

Were all taking for granted how special his season has been this year. He's literally having one of the top 10 best offensive seasons in NBA history.

Harden is amazing and might be universally considered the best player in the game by next season.

If we have a deep playoff run or even a championship run (fingers crossed) plus him winning MVP. Everyone will be put on blast and have to bow down to El Chapo lol.

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Sue you? Sure, but I am willing to settle for a few playoff tickets.

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well another key difference is that he has the ball in his hands more than any Rocket that I've ever seen. He is the definition of ball dominance, and not in the negative sense of the term. As a Thunder, he was deferring to other players and playing off the ball... something I can barely even imagine now!

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Only great, MVP caliber players are capable of averaging a triple double.

Daddy Long Legs and BigMaloe like this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's all good but his numbers there would double if we trade for Ricky Rubio to be rimary playmaker and move Harden off the ball

Tha_Dude and topfive like this.
  8. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Scary thing is, he will continue to get better and improve.

Harden should get MVP AND MIP this season imo :)

Tha_Dude likes this.
  9. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

58PT 22A 16 R would almost be enough for him to edge out westbrook

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

interesting research but yes i will be suing you and prosecuting you to the fullest extent of the law with absolutely no exceptions!

11. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Dwight and McHale are gone, the Rockets add MDA/Gordon/Anderson and suddenly the Rockets and Harden get better. What a difference a year makes?

Meanwhile, McHale is no longer coaching in the NBA. Dwight went to Atlanta and made them worse than they were a year ago.

How sweet it is!

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.