1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Seed vs Three Seed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Feb 24, 2017.

1. MystikArkitect

Does it really matter? We're not catching Golden State for the 1 seed, and so long as things hold we should have the 3 seed throughout which would peg us a first round date with either OKC or Memphis. Thinking the Clippers and Jazz will make due with the 4 and 5 seed respectively.

So should we root for San Antonio to lose or does it really matter? I've never really though that San Antonio had much of a home court advantage over us so really the only incentive would be to get that one extra game at home. The other thing to be mindful of is Cleveland's record in case we meet them in the Finals. Yep. Lou Williams effect from yesterday.

What say you CF?

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

worry about the round one. it will not be easy no matter who it is.

Hui, Dgn1, Batman Jones and 4 others like this.
  3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Home court advantage in the second round sounds pretty damn nice. Don't really know for sure who will finish 7th, but I think OKC stays where they are, and even with their recent trade adding some depth, we are a much deeper team than them so they'd be a pretty good first round match up.

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Not to mention bragging rights of beating SA out for the division again (ala 2015)

5. atam

atam Member

2 seed I think guarantees us for the WCF
    3 seed leaves the final spot in the WCF up for grabs

Lawlruschang likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Guarantees? There are no guarantees.

7. Lightsnowaction

Home Court was key for us getting to the WCF 2 years ago.

8. atam

atam Member

Oh there are guarantees

Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Always root for SA to lose.

Dgn1, 13 in 33, Lawlruschang and 9 others like this.
  10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Whichever one doesn't play Golden State in the second round.

houstonstime likes this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Second round, I want the advantage of home against the Spurs. They have a great coach, average team. That's scary. Home means something.

12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

2nd Seed. Solidifies Harden's MVP

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Homecourt through second round would be nice. Also, being able to catch up to the Spurs with the lead they have now would mean we played pretty awesome through the rest of the season, so that would be nice too.

Dgn1, macho GRANDE and YaoMing#1 like this.
  14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Before the 2nd round, getting the two seed would make us that much more likely to play OKC, who I would love to face in the first round over Memphis. You should always try to maximize seeding especially in this situation.

Dgn1, kevtse, don grahamleone and 2 others like this.
  15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Benefits of getting the 2nd seed:

-Means down the stretch we played better than San Antonio.
    -Home court advantage in 2nd round if we win our first series.
    -Better chance at Harden winning MVP for the fans.
    -Literally means that down the stretch we played better than San Antonio.
    -Division champion is pretty neat to have.
    -If we get the 2nd seed it means we played really, really, really good for emphasis.

So, yes we should be hopeful to get the 2nd seed. It implies that we outplayed a very good Spurs team in this late game stretch. If we can do that I wouldn't worry about who the 7th seed is. I mean, I would but I'd be more confident playing a 7th seed after we beat out SA for the 2nd seed instead of the 6th seed because we stayed relatively the same and couldn't catch up to SA so playing the 6th seed might be worrisome. 4th seed is worst case scenario that can actually happen. And 5th seed = meltdown by me.

16. bongman

bongman Member

3rd seed means you have to beat both SA and GS to get to the finals. You only have to play one of them if youre 2nd seed.

Edit: I take it back as you have to play them both either way

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I love it... but we play to win the game, and incidentally if we fall upon the #2 seed. then WE will take it all day and twice on sunday...

Spurs are losing today... so we have to keep taking advantage.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This will go down to the final game day. Rockets will win their 82nd game and Spurs will lose thereby Rockets popping Spurs to 2nd place

ramotadab, BigShasta and da_juice like this.
  19. da_juice

da_juice Member

I hope for the 2nd seed simply because I don't want us dealing with Utahs bigs and I'd rather play a team like the clippers in round 2 instead of the Spurs (although I think we can best the Spurs in a 7 game, it's not as easy as a team like the Clips)

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't see there be a scenario that had us playing the clippers in the second round.

It's either the Spurs of Warriors.

We can beat SA

And I don't care who we play in the 1st round as long as it's not the clippers.

Utah would be tough too but im not as scared of them as some of you are. They still lose to a lot of bad teams even tho there a very well coached and disciplined team.

Memphis and okc is who we're playing most likely and they don't worry me at all.

If we're healthy I don't see it going more than 5 would be shocked if it went 6.

They can't keep up with us in a 7 game series. Even tho they have both stole games from us we have also had double digit leads in every game and the losses have been strange events that won't happen again imo.

And Morey is right about beat golden state. You have to match them on threes.

No team can lock them down on defense with the acquisition of Durant it's just not possible.

The Spurs have 0 chance against them and there the best defense in the game.

You have to beat them at there own game and us and to an extent the Cavs are the only teams that can do it.

But I would love the second seed means we played really really good to close the year out. I just think we lost to many game we should have won last month.

We should really be 44-15 right now and if that was our record I would have no doubt we get that second seed.