1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team's depth is insane

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Feb 24, 2017.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

We may not have the starting 5 that the Warriors have, but dayum, our team is deep. When MDA cleared the bench in the 4th, the only guy out there who sucks was Bobby Brown.

And once we sign a waived free agent, we'll be even deeper. Combine that depth with our run-n-gun offense and we may just flat-out wear teams down in some games.

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

We probably going win 15 more games this reg season.

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

We won't wear them down as much as we will demoralize them with how quickly we put up points. This is the same recipe as Golden State, we just have to hope that MDA and Morey have cracked some sort of code here that makes us even more dangerous than them.

If all Lou Williams is asked to do is stand in a corner and shoot three's like Brewer was asked to do, the rest of the league is in for a world of hurt.

#3 Tha_Dude, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dantoni will have to play our depth for it to matter . I think it will be tough for him to stick with a 10 man rotation , but he should give it a shot . Tonight we played 10 , but only because of foul trouble .

I'd like to consistently give Harrell a shot at some 4 and Dekker a shot at some 3 . Ryan shouldn't ever play more than 30 min so that's a full 18+ from the 4 . Normally those go to Dekker . My suggestion right now to get a 10 man would be this

Bev 25 Lou 23
    James 30 ego 18
    Ariza 28 ego 8 , Dekker 12
    Ryno 28 , dekker 8 , montrezl 12
    Clint 25 nene 15 trez 8

That's a 10 man rotation where all are >= 20 min a game . Of course if we keep blowing people out , the rotation will be fine :)

5. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Still crazy considering the Rockets still have 2 roster spots available

6. Asian Sensation

Daryl Morey got some TLC in him cause apparently he don't want no scrub.

7. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Alot wrong with this.

1) We ran a lot of three guard sets tonight and it worked really well against a team much bigger than us. If it worked against this team I fully expect more of the three guard set going forward. Only 8 minutes with one of our guards at the 3 isn't enough.

2) Trez at PF with Capela or Nene at the 5 is a bad idea. For 12 mpg it's a REALLY bad idea. We have a very specific game plan that involves Ryno, Dekker and occasionally Ariza taking up all the minutes at 4 for a reason. We like to play 4 out, 1 in. Create space for James, the Center comes up to set the pick, and James creates. Simple but efffective. Having two bigs clogging the paint and one less shooter spreading the floor really messes with the offense.

3) Capela plays. Trez backs him up. Nene rests. In games where we need muscle, Trez sits and Nene plays. Why mess with what's working?

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And yet we still depend too much on James..

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think bench scoring is great, don't get me wrong, but I really think nights like tonight show that ether Ego or Lou need to start. The starting unit needs a real scoring punch as well.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It's bizarre. Other than Bobby & the RGV duo, every guy on the roster is a legitimate rotation player. I found myself getting slightly worried that we didn't have any garbage players to put out there in garbage time to prevent injury to rotation guys -- but damn, that's a good problem to have.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Definitely, which makes it so much more impressive that Rox is scoring 129 points with James only at 13 points and the 5th highest scorer of the team.

Hakeemtheking and PhilCollins like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL! Searching for sacrificial lambs . . . or goats

Rocket River

FANfrom86toNow and KlutchQT like this.
  13. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Finally it feels good to be a rockets fan

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

We were up by double figures by half time, but the Pelicans were still playing their game. After a barrage of 3s in the third quarter, they lost their composure, and then their proverbial dam broke.

As you said, this is the Warriors' recipe: overwhelm a team with scoring and the opponent starts playing like chicken without their heads.

FANfrom86toNow and Tha_Dude like this.
  15. Tha_Dude

16. Moleb

Moleb Member

That song never gets old. I hope we bring it back

No Chance and Tha_Dude like this.
  17. Tha_Dude

I hope we do too, and the dude will always love you.

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

un-der-rat-ed flaw

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What makes you feel like the starting unit needs to change anything? Have you looked at first quarter stats?

Louka likes this.
  20. ribbit

ribbit Member

This. This is what I'm thinking all along. If there's even a center out there who could do what Capela can and shoot threes, it would even open up the lane more for driving to the basket from the other positions.

But that's asking too much for a center. Cousins comes to mind, but I don't see much PnR's with Cousins that ends up with an alley-oop (or maybe I don't watch Cousins, or other teams enough, for that matter).

A 4 and 5 who can't shoot threes at the same time on the floor is a bad idea for hiw this team is constructed.