1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gallo vs. Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Feb 21, 2017.

?

Gallo / Chandler ?

1. Gallo

71 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Chandler

29 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The question is simple, given equal packages, which player does Clutchfans prefer ?

I think the Rockets have been " linked" to both players , they both seem to fit well with what we do here, and Denver might be looking to move on and get what value they can for their vets.

Quick Pro and Con for each guy... of course your choice doesn't have to be rational. We all know who ABS will pick.

Gallo
    + Better Shooter
    + Bigger
    + better passer

- Defense
    - More injury prone
    - More salary this year, and the ability to opt out this summer( not necessarily a negative)

Chandler
    + Defense
    + Off-ball movement ?
    + more needed position ?
    + health

- Not a 3 point shooter
    - Not as good a shot creator ( for himself)
    - Doesn't get to the line

Conclusion, I pick Gallo. It just seems like a higher upside move, while chandler is safer but has lower potential. Chandler is a better defender and has a better shot of staying healthy. Plus Chandler can likely guard the 2-4, but he's not the same defender that he used to be and while he's better than Gallo, I'm not sure he's better than Dekker.... which is a big reason I picked Gallo.

Even if Gallo can only play the backup 3/4 ( where his D limits him to ... not that hes worse than Anderson but that's another topic ) We still have Dekker to pair with him. Gallo is a lights out shooter and gets to the line. He could provide us with offensive pressure out the ass. Gordon, Dekker,Gallo,Ne/ Harrell is a strong bench and that Dekker or Gallo could play for Anderson if he's off is valuable depth.

Chandler may be the more reliable pick and fufill a greater positional need, but instead of trying to replace brewers minutes, why not get someone to replace Dekker's mins and let dekker take brewers role.

BigMaloe and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Whichever one allows us to get rid of Sewer.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gallo is equal or superior across the board. He is also much better scorer.

Chandler being better on d is a complete. Myth.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I feel like Gallo would definitely fit better here, but the reasons we may be more interested in Chandler is that Gallo is...

#1 Expiring - which is big
    #2 Has a bigger contract which would be harder to trade for

5. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

It's really really close. i read on Facebook (not a solid source) that Denver wants a 1st for gallo and 2 1sts for Chandler. If that's true give me gallo.

I think gallo fits better for mda but i like Chandlers skill set. toughie. Probably Gallo, better fit.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The goal should be to eliminate Brewer from the rotation entirely while giving MDA an additional piece to use in his arsenal for matching up to certain teams. Chandler is that guy because he's extremely versatile in what he can do. He's another glue guy and could absorb additional minutes from Ariza, Anderson or Harden which would allow them more rest depending on how the game is going. Ariza and Harden are both logging a lot of minutes right now.

I like Gallo too but he and Anderson share too many strengths and weaknesses and are a bad combo to be on the floor together. We would still be parading Brewer out there on a nightly basis and I think we can all agree that is a bad thing.

I just think Chandler is a better fit for this team right now. But I would be super happy to have either one.

Deuce, topfive, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like Gallo better but he's a luxury pick right now. Like Chandler too but like other players better at back up 3-D wing. Hope Hornets get Chandler so Rockets can finagle MKG away on the cheap.

kwakmeister likes this.
  8. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

You take the Italian stallion despite history with his body cause his upside is huge under MDA.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I addressed this a bit ( I think ) and it helped me decide on Gallo, but that's just my opinion.

I agree that Gallo and Anderson are very similar, and as such shouldn't be on the floor together. I would play Gallo at backup 3/4 ( semantics) and let dekker take the other backup forward slot.

Its understood that brewer would be going to DEN.

If you play Anderson 28 min a game that's enough to get Gallo 20 per ,which given his health concerns is what we should be doing.

Ariza can then also play about 28-32 per and give the rest to Sam.

Sam has been a great backup 4 for us this year, and I agree the best way we can improve( feasibly) is to replace brewer's minutes with someone who can play intelligent ball. I think Sam is that player. Then the need becomes to find a backup 4 , well Gallo is a lot like Ryan and a bit like Sam on offense. He can shoot , and he's quick and big enough to take backup 4's to the rack. Sam may be disadvantaged offensively by not having slow-footed bakup 4's on him, but this is an opportunity for him to grow. He's got great size for the 3 and he should use it. He should be able to crash the glass on some midget backups.

Overall, I think my scenario is plausible, but isn't without some risk. Chandler is definitely a safer move and has no questions on paper.

ramotadab likes this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Gallo is basically the forward equivalent of Eric Gordon. Similar career trajectory (high draft pick, high skill set, huge expectations) with similar limitations (injuries, defense, lacks the extra gear the superstars have).

I think Gallo could put up some monster numbers in our system. We're talking about a player that's top 20 in FTA per game, an excellent three point shooter and a player that's not afraid to put the ball on the floor and create his own offense. He even has positive +/-'s on both ends of the court, to boot. The kid can play and is good enough to potentially tip the scale in a playoff series.

That said, it all comes down to what it costs us. He's almost certainly going to opt out so it's your classic rental scenario....with a slight twist given Denver's rise in the standings and apparent desire to earn the right to get absolutely demolished by Golden State in the first round of the playoffs (sounds familiar, doesn't it). Their asking price might be more than we're willing to pay.

ramotadab and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Injured Gallo is still more helpful than Sewer. We can also say the same with Chandler. Both of them are a huge upgrade over Sewer. Who ever the Rockets can get we will all be happy as long as Sewer is out.

bilaal14 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I would be so much more confident that we could land one of these guys if Denver was like the 12th seed. Despite not having great assets, I think we are one of the contenders that could make a move for a player of that level. Most other teams want that star or longer term contract. I think we are more positioned to go for a rental.

Cost is a big issue, Despite my question, I'm feeling that chandler is going to cost more because he's healthier RIGHT NOW and because his deal has more years.

D-rock likes this.
  13. alleyoop

alleyoop Member

We also have to look at which player is happy coming off the bench. If we want to keep Galo, he will have to start or else I think he's gone in free agency. Wilson would be fine anywhere you put him.
    I think that speaks to ego and self expectations.
    Having said that, Galo is my choice
    He has the higher upside and would be more valuable next year if needing to trade for a *star level * players

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm thinking that a number of people will not realize you are talking about Tyson....

As proven above already!

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Gallo for me. He's one of the few where his offense just overcomes defense. Gallo doesnt have shooting %'s to match how he LOOKS as a shooter. But its the total package of 3pters, free throw attempts, shot creation, low turnovers, willing defense, he'd be Eric Gordon effect on the wing. In THIS system he could REALLY thrive. We say that about every player, but Gallo its especially true.

Chandler is versatile, defensive tools, dumps in some points. Though not really elite in anything. His defense maybe is overrated maybe isnt, doesnt defend AS well after his injuries. Good guy to play in different spots, put on opposing scorers, though Gallo's contributions still add more I think

D-rock likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Nah man , I was def referring to Wilson.

17. thekad

thekad Member

Gallinari is still much better than Chandler and that trade has the secondary effect of dumping Brewer's second year.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

OP already clarified it was about Wilson, but have to ask: How did you reach the conclusion that he was talking about Tyson?

"Plus Chandler can likely guard the 2-4, but he's not the same defender that he used to be and while he's better than Gallo, I'm not sure he's better than Dekker.... which is a big reason I picked Gallo."

"Chandler may be the more reliable pick and fufill a greater positional need, but instead of trying to replace brewers minutes"

"Denver might be looking to move on and get what value they can for their vets."

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That sounds extremely over the top, especially two 1st round picks for Chandler.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haven't heard from Gallo like for 1 or 2 years......hopefully just injuries