1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball’s Nerd King

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Dec 8, 2016.

1. ilias

ilias Member

Fun article on Morey by Slate. Lots of interesting little anecdotes and quotes, mostly about interviewing potential draft picks. Haven't seen it on the board, but perhaps it's hidden under all those DMo threads.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...conomics_to_revolutionize_the_art_of_nba.html

A brief excerpt:
    "You never knew what a kid in the interview room might say to jolt you out of your slumber and back to your senses and force you to pay attention. And once you were paying attention, you naturally placed far greater weight on whatever he had just said than you probably should: The most memorable moments in job interviews for the National Basketball Association were hard to consign to some appropriately sized compartment in the brain. In certain cases it was as if the players were trying to screw up your ability to judge them. For instance, when the Houston Rockets interviewer asked one player if he could pass a drug test, the guy had gone wide-eyed and grabbed the table and said, “You mean today!!!???” There was the college player who’d been arrested on charges (subsequently dropped) of domestic violence, and whose agent claimed it had been a simple misunderstanding. When they’d asked the player about it he’d explained, chillingly, that he’d grown weary of his girlfriend’s “b****ing, so I just put my hands around her neck and I squeezed. ’Cause I needed her to shut up.” There was Kenneth Faried, the power forward out of Morehead State. When he showed up for his interview they’d asked him, “Do you prefer to be called Kenneth or Kenny?” “Manimal,” Faried said. He wanted to be called Manimal. What did you do with that? Roughly three out of every four of the black American players who came for NBA interviews—or at least came for interviews with the NBA’s Houston Rockets—had never really known their father. “It’s not uncommon, when you ask these guys who their biggest male influence was, for them to say, ‘My mom,’ ” said the Rockets’ director of player personnel, Jimmy Paulis. “One said, ‘Obama.’ ”

Then there was Sean Williams. Back in 2007, Sean Williams, 6-foot-10, was an off-the-charts player who had been suspended from his Boston College team the first two of his three seasons after being arrested for possession of mar1juana (a charge that was later dropped). He’d played only 15 games his sophomore year and still blocked 75 shots; the fans referred to his college games as The Sean Williams Block Party. Sean Williams looked like a big-time NBA player and was expected to be a first-round pick—in part because everyone assumed that his ability to get through his junior year without being suspended meant that he’d gotten his mar1juana use under control. Before the 2007 NBA draft, he’d flown to Houston, at his agent’s request, to practice his interviewing skills. The agent cut the Rockets a deal: Williams would talk to the Rockets and the Rockets alone, and the Rockets would offer the agent tips about how to make Sean Williams more persuasive in a job interview. It actually went pretty well, until they got onto the topic of mar1juana. “So you got caught smoking weed your freshman and sophomore years,” said the Rockets interviewer. “What happened your junior year?” Williams just shook his head and said, “They stopped testing me. And if you’re not going to test me, I’m gonna smoke!”

After that, Williams’s agent decided it was best for Sean Williams not to grant any more interviews. He still got himself drafted in the first round by the New Jersey Nets, and made brief appearances in 137 NBA games before leaving to play in Turkey."

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

What a hilarious article:

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What a great article/chapter. Should absolutely be mandatory reading for all Rockets fans

4. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Damn that was long.

I hope Murray has good security and protection, his database sounds like a gold mine...

5. ilias

ilias Member

A few of my favourite bits:

"when the Houston Rockets interviewer asked one player if he could pass a drug test, the guy had gone wide-eyed and grabbed the table and said, “You mean today!!!???”

“Do you prefer to be called Kenneth or Kenny?” “Manimal,” Faried said. He wanted to be called Manimal. What did you do with that?

"Later, when basketball scouts came to him looking for jobs, the trait he looked for was some awareness that they were seeking answers to questions with no certain answers—that they were inherently fallible. “I always ask them, ‘Who did you miss?’ ” he said. Which future superstar had they written off, or which future bust had they fallen in love with? “If they don’t give me a good one, I’m like, ‘**** ’em.’ ”

"In his job interview, Dorsey had been funny and likable and charming—he’d said when he was done playing basketball he intended to explore a second career as a p*rn star"

" in the 2007 draft there had been a player his model really liked: Marc Gasol. Gasol was twenty-two years old, a seven-foot-one center playing in Europe. The scouts had found a photograph of him shirtless. He was pudgy and baby-faced and had these jiggly pecs. The Rockets staff had given Marc Gasol a nickname: Man Boobs. Man Boobs this and Man Boobs that."

"Morey hadn’t found anyone—inside or outside basketball—who could answer those questions, though there was no end to psychologists who pretended to be able to. The Rockets had hired a bunch of them. “It’s been horrible,” says Morey. “A horrible experience. Every year I think there’s got to be something there. Every year we find someone with a different approach. Every year it is totally pointless. And every year we try again. I’m starting to think psychologists are complete charlatans.”

“Who do you think you are most like in the NBA—similar in terms of game?” asked Morey.
    “Jowman and Shkinoonee,” said Singh, without missing a beat.
    A silence followed. Then Morey realized. “Oh, Yao Ming.” Another pause. “Who was the second one?”
    “Shkinoonee.”
    Someone made a guess: “Shaq?”
    “Shaq, yes,” said Singh, relieved.
    “Oh, Shaquille O’Neal,” said Morey, finally getting it.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

7. bungiman

bungiman Contributing Member

DITTO. I can't believe this thread isn't getting more love. All the DMO threads drowning out this gem. There are so many tidbits and back stories in this article we can spinoff. For example, Dorsey's infamous self pics of his..., obvious now given he wanted to be a p*rn star... How draft workouts don't really matter... and much much more...

8. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Man Boobs, all time great nickname.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  9. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

That's a very sad part in bold. Most people don't understand that this is a problem begun, influenced and ignored by a system stemming all the way back to slavery, but some of those same system elements still exist today that help to create this. Not that the people involved are blameless, but many are still limit in the choices they make by a lack of knowledge, understanding and the opportunities they don't have or are limited to.

I'm really glad that some of these guys can now make millions. It make still take another generation or two because it takes more than just money alone, but hopefully they can break that bad cycle of poor parenting and broken families.

10. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

can you elaborate? what elements still exist?

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The biggest thing I got out of this article is we should never ever ever fire Morey. The way he does things and built his models will only get better as time goes on. He's constantly improving.

Dankstronaut and dockerland like this.
  12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

The horrible education system in many poor communities, CPS and child support services which are getting better, but have historically been a tool against black fathers because they are poor and can't make payments thereby putting them in jail, ruining their credit, helping to make it easier to just disappear instead of be a part of their child's life; the drug war/business and prison profit system that mostly profited from black men, the lack of jobs, etc., etc., etc. The role of black fathers was destroyed during slavery and many other systems in America, those mentioned and some not mentioned continued to destroy the black family to not have a husband/father figure...some intentionally and some unintentionally. Of course, every person still has to make their own choices and are not absolved of their responsibility because the system is against them. I'm just stating facts though.

BigMaloe, TheRealAllpro and vtjsr2 like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

part of the reason there's less love than there should be is because there was an earlier thread linking to the article:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/excerpt-michael-lewis-chapter-on-morey-rockets.278998/

But you're probably right that many of the folks who are currently engaged in mortal kombat on the DMo threads haven't yet taken the opportunity to click on the link in EITHER thread. Sadly I am among them. I will rectify that situation tonight, and return with the appropriate DMo-relevant insights to supplement what I read on Slate. ;)

14. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Very good read and really interesting information on some of the questions asked. I liked the part where he said he wouldn't hire someone who tells him they haven't missed on a player.

Amazing how in depth they are, tracking all of the answers given in interviews and going back over time to see if they can gain any advantage based on what is said through that process.

The Jordan decision still obviously haunts him, like mentioned above I hope he stays the GM of the Rockets for many years to come.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wonder how his decisions would have been different if he had his current model back in 2006.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Figured I'd add my favorite bit before we proceed to unpack this treasure trove:

The problem was magnified by the tendency of talent evaluators—Morey included—to favor players who reminded them of their younger selves. “My playing career is so irrelevant to my career,” he said. “And still I like guys who beat the **** out of people and cheat the rules and are nasty. Bill Laimbeer types. Because that’s how I played.” You saw someone who reminded you of you, and then you looked for the reasons why you liked him.

LOL

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good read, really good read.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Please take the time to watch this movie unto its entirety. It will explain the elements you'd like to know about. It will change your perspective most likely. Maybe not drastically, but you will likely empathize with issues black Americans face today and yesteryear.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  19. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

That is a gold article.

I wonder how the Royce White interview went.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Awesome article. Long but awesome.

I think the part where Morey says something to the effect that Les wants guarantees that aren't coming...that's a huge glimpse into the mindset. That confidence is basically bullshit. The segments about failures and making improvements. This is a guy kinda reinventing the wheel but...also, not content AND not afraid to admit or make mistakes, as long as there is something to learn. Not afraid to change something that is revolutionary AND already successful. That always forward mentality...that's Morey's brilliance.

It doesn't always have to work. It WONT always work.