1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Harden Throwing Fullcourt Passes into Double Coverage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Dec 6, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't know if this is thread-worthy, but it happened so many times tonight (in a close game) that I felt compelled to say something. I'm all for pushing the pace, but if James wants to do that, he should do so by running the ball up the floor instead of taking 6 seconds just to get past half court. Those football passes to guys who are surrounded by 2-3 defenders just waste possessions. The weird thing is, I don't remember this being a real issue under McHale. While I can't imagine D'Antoni is encouraging those plays, I worry that he isn't doing anything to correct them either.

Now unlike some, I'm not that worried about Harden's turnovers. If 5 TOVs per game is the price we pay for 29/12, I can live with that. But when you're already a turnover-prone player, don't just throw away possessions on low percentage plays.

Hopefully tonight's a wake-up call and we see fewer plays like this in the future. But I think it's worth keeping track of.

RudyTBag and omgTHEpotential like this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yea he needs to get better snap on these passes or stop throwing them

3. Rocketeer4Life

Agree, Harden needs to be less carefree with those cross court passes as they kept the Celtics in the game.

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Still better than any Texans quarterback from the past 3 years...

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Look on the brightside

Harden throwing full court passes is better than him throwing elbows.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

It was definitely on Celtics' scouting report. They are a smart defensive team. There's no way they were going to let the Rockets get easy layups. They were probably baiting Harden to do so.

Now that it's on tape, Harden needs to chill the **** out with these passes. You're playing basketball not football.

LCAhmed likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This was one of my concerns early in the season.

Someone commented in one of the game threads that it was a low risk, high reward play. If Harden gets the pass through Rockets gets a quick bucket. If Harden get a TO the defense is already back to defend..

I don't really like this explanation at all.. I think he needs to be more judicious with these type of passes. I think he threw one of these passes when Rockets really needed a bucket and it ended up being a TO.

Vivi, Cashmoney and RocketWalta like this.
  8. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

It is difficult to gauge how much freedom D'Antoni is giving James in this offense. Harden does seem to be more coach-able this year, sometimes. As much as he has the ball, often the turnovers are too much and would be tolerable if he cut this out.

I'm sure all Rocket fans can agree that Harden>Osweiler though.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yea some teams that are tall/athletic/lenghty and play D like the Celtics it's harder for Harden to make those kinda passes...we lost to the Hawks because they have the same type of team when they play strong D...some teams Harden gotta be a lot more careful with

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

James is just being "creative".

ramotadab likes this.
  11. heypartner

Do you really want Harden to stop being creative.

Listen to Houstunna

12. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Tired, lazy passes

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Just with his outlets!

14. heypartner

Don't put Harden's game in a box.

#HereToCreate

ramotadab, DonKnock and DreamShook like this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I want him to create better:(

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

just let the man ge this turnovers. he clearly has a thing for them. 1/5 of those passes will go through, good enough for me.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Soo much this, not every possession is the same, it's kinda ok to take that risk if you're way ahead in the score and the opponents don't have some kind of momentum, but when the game is on the line and your team is already playing bad, it's just a bad decision imo.

18. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

If only Kareem Jackson was guarding Harden's intended target each pass would be caught for a huge play.

TheRealist137 and DonKnock like this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's the only thing that I can really criticize so far this season.

They hired an offensive-minded coach and so they're not a defensive juggernaut. I got that. They got Ryan Anderson and he's lights out in one of two ways---one game, he's hitting 3-pointers from 35 feet (lights out); next game, he's largely disappeared (lights out, nobody's home.....although, to be fair, yes, there is always the threat he can go off, so the defense has to respect him a bit).

But James Harden and his lazy-ass passes. He turned it over last night on three straight possessions. If he would just keep it, for the most part, relatively simple. Quit passing it like you only get four hours sleep a night (and, James, if you must, maybe DO get some more rest).

Whenever James throws the ball away, a little part of me dies. I guess I'm barely on life support. I love that he's getting so many assists (although he's starting to come back down to earth a bit on his numbers). Just take care of the ball. DAMN.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Harden full court passes for turnovers this season is the replacement for the bounce pass to bigs in traffic last season.

Y'all wanted him to stop the bounce pass in traffic to bigs and he did that and now you're b****ign about some other pass

Harden be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't