1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we should pursue blake griffin in 2017 free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSquirm, Nov 10, 2016.

1. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

I love this team and ik it's very early but I think blake griffin would be a great mda center can pass has a post and mid range and can shoot the three and rebound what do yall think?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure but I don't know that we can create the capspace or have the assets to trade

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think Codman made some sort of hint about our interest in Blake Griffin, but I can't imagine the trade that would net him, especially with the Clippers playing so well.

The Clips do have to fear Griffin will "KD" them: "I love it here, I love it here, I'm not even thinking about free agency" (July 1st arrives) "SEE YA!" But it would be as a free agent, I imagine, that we'd have to pursue him, and we'd need to clear cap space.

5. Amir's Johnson

I can't see Griffin leaving LA.

6. Mr. Clutch

Ask the General Manager (Les)

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Clippers are rolling right now, unfortunately. With a much stronger bench, they can be one of the top teams in the west. He loves the city. I can't see him leaving.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

he can be our poor man's dwight

9. arjun

arjun Member

I've said this many times now...MDA will sell Blake on the Amare Stoudamire role (which would fit Blake's skillset perfectly).

hieuytran likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The thing about it being the Clippers, though, notwithstanding their prior history before the last 5 years or so, is that they are (i) consistently good (even though one would assume if he even considers leaving its because they've again failed in the playoffs), and (ii) its LA. Blake I assume loves the lifestyle, and has tons of endorsement opportunity and will get paid the most by staying. Does he leave that for Cleveland, or San Antonio, or Houston, or OKC, or Atlanta or Toronto or Charlotte, etc.?

Really doesn't seem likely.

Might he consider Miami (because of Pat, the lifestyle, whatever), or NY (because of the location)? The Bulls? Perhaps, but still seems unlikely. Just doesn't seem like a good fit at this point in time, whereas with KD there were some legitimate options (stay, GSW, Boston), with Dwight he was effectively obviously never going to stay in LA anyway, with Melo the Knicks sucked (and still do), but location still trumped his decision.

Now, in typical homer Rockets fashion, can I make solid argument for Blake in Houston? Sure, if Harden continues his MVP season, the Rockets finish somewhere around 3-6 in playoff seeding and either win a round or take one of the top teams to 6/7 in a great series, promote/push a marketing angle with Hspanics (except he already has this in LA) and China (except he already can have this in LA), and of course push his fit in an MDA offense... sure.

But man its a super long shot.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure Capela would make Griffin obsolete

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah he can try. But the city of LA will sell him on being an actor and standup comedian. So he will rather stay near Hollywood.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. mightybosstone

I'm sure Morey will target him in free agency, but I don't really know how he makes it happen. Does he really consider Blake as a center? Would he have to move Anderson or push him to the bench to make room for Blake? And where does the cap room to sign him come from?

More than likely, I think Blake stays in LA. I think people want to push the Durant formula, but that was a totally different circumstance. He left a worse basketball team and small media market to come play for one of the greatest core of players in NBA history in California. Blake would be leaving one of the two largest media markets in the country to play for (more than likely) a worse basketball team for an undefined role. Doesn't make a ton of sense right now on paper.

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets will target every big name free agent.... including Griffin.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

He would be a perfect fit here, not sure at center though, but as a starting 4 yeah, great fit.

Btw like others said i'm not sure he'll leave L.A. but imo a lot will depend on what Chris Paul will do, if CP3 leaves, i think there's a good chance he leaves too.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

You'd take Bu bu Buhlake Griffin?! *SAS voice*

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Will he fit here? Sure, but so do a lot of other players. The main questions are:

- Why would he come here over other teams that fits him as well?
    - What assets or cap space will we have then and how can we get him if he DOES want to come here?

18. Mr. Clutch

Not happening, because we got rid of CFlex and AssMan

#18 Mr. Clutch, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Skill wise he's 10x the player.

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

He is as close to Amare in his prime as you can get in today's NBA (excluding Davis of course).

It might have to be a S&T or a team will have to take Brewer and Ariza's expiring contracts, along with a first pick.