1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wiltjer] "The minute I stepped in Houston, I fell in love with the city."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 24, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Check out quotes in spoiler by MDA and Wiltjer regarding impending roster cuts. His agent is a big advocate of choosing MDA, and why he signed with the Rockets immediately for Summer League.

-------------------------------------------------
    Kyle Wiltjer, Bobby Brown state case for making Rockets' roster -- Jonathan Feigen, Oct 23rd, 2016

"Those last two cuts are a very gray area," D'Antoni said. "It's not easily done, and somebody is going to get the short end of the stick. I hate it, but that's the business we're in."

Wiltjer has turned heads, hitting 41.7 percent of his 3-pointers and 47.5 percent of his shots.

"He has two NBA skills," D'Antoni said. "One is shooting which is off the charts and is not just an NBA skill, but a top-level NBA skill. He can be a great shooter. The second thing is he really knows how to play offensively. He has a great feel for the game.

"On defense, he's always in the right position. He lacks a little strength. He lacks a little mobility. They'll work on that and he'll get better. He'll get stronger physically. But if you watch his whole game and watch film on him, he's a very high-level player. I think he's an NBA player."

If the Rockets make that official, Wiltjer's draft-night decision - when he signed with the Rockets as an undrafted free agent to play in D'Antoni's offense - will have paid off.

"My agent (Mark Bartelstein) said, 'Coach D'Antoni really helped reinvent Steve Novak with the system as a big who could shoot,' " Wiltjer said. "I looked at a couple of teams that wanted me, but I thought with coach D'Antoni and the system he runs, it would really fit the way I play.

"I was very fortunate to get this situation because a big emphasis with the Rockets for this year has been shooting. I thought I could really help."

"I'll be fine, but I really, really hope it's in Houston," Wiltjer said. "The minute I stepped in Houston, I fell in love with the city. I would love for it to be here, but I think I have some good options. I have to be ready for that next step. Hopefully, it's here."
    -----------------------------------------------------

Note: Barring trades, we must cut two of Wiltjer, Ennis and Brown once DMo signs.

Might Wiltjer wait for the Rockets if temporarily cut when DMo Signs?

I'd make a roster spot for him right now, and cut both Ennis and Brown. But due to Bev injury, if MDA chooses to go with an interim PG, I still see Coach being able to convince Wiltjer to wait until Bev is activated. It makes sense to keep a PG for practice alone, for this important period of continuing to implement our PG-heavy offensive scheme. You have to have a 3rd PG in practice to run the scout team role, throughout practice, or at least when Harden rests. Prigioni's practice role will be walking the offense through the MDA sets, which he can do in his sleep, and also playing with starters when JH takes a breather.

Of course, ideally Morey makes a roster reduction trade for Wiltjer, like Brewer for a 2nd round draft beer on tap.

#1 heypartner, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    craguin likes this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I'd cut Brown and Ennis.

bacliff likes this.
  3. heypartner

Due to Bev injury, I can see MDA keeping a practice-team PG for now, making early-season, practice time #1 priority of his PG-heavy system, and asking Wiltjer to wait for Bev being reactivated.

That may or may not happen, but it does makes sense (temporarily) and I'd trust Coach to convince Wiltjer to wait.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He is the placeholder for DMo until DMo signs. There simply is no place for him on the 15-man if DMo re-signs. His body frame is not ready. He will contribute in the NBA inevitably by his third year, but right now, we have much more need of guards given our men of glass currently patrolling the backcourt.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Promising words from D'Antoni.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If the kid has fallen in love with Houston and the Rocks, that's cool. Many of us have fallen in love with his shot!

heypartner likes this.
  7. basketballholic

There should be no question in anybody's mind now that Wiltjer is an NBA player.

There also should be no question that Anderson, Wiltjer, and DMo are duplicative and that the most likely solution with DMo is a sign-and-trade. And if not DMo, then Anderson and others out for Gay and others back becomes a distinct possibility if we stay status quo into December.

Wiltjer is going to kill everybody in dleague with bombs until Anderson/DMo is resolved and then you can expect him to work his way into the top 8 after midseason if he remains healthy.

Yule C.

#7 basketballholic, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DMo and Wiltjer are nothing alike

Are you comparing them because of their skin tones?

DonKnock, Remlap and heypartner like this.
  9. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

he has a great shot but hes gonna need to improve on the defensive side to make an impact. Im not sure he improves enough this year to help us consistently.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Edit.

#10 Haymitch, Oct 24, 2016
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Must be the strip clubs that Harden took him too and I bet Yule C pics of him and Harden hitting the strip joints during the season.

12. J Hard

J Hard Member

Thats outright idiotic.

13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I can't wait to see him run the P&R with Harden. Before teams would just double off Terrence Jones or Josh Smith. Now he have a knock down shooter meaning someone has to stay glued to him and Harden will get to orchestrate the offense.

We also have Anderson, but he is more of a volume shooter and Wiltjer is more efficient. You can't give him an inch. I will fast forward through the defensive possessions while they are on the floor.

14. basketballholic

Thanks. FIFY

Haymitch likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Must have come from Dallas

majicdonjuan and heypartner like this.
  16. Remlap

Remlap Member

Also have to consider Dmo has played in what? 10 games all last year?

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I trust MDA's assertion that Wiltjer is an NBA ready offensive player. I'm not so sold on his optimism about Wiltjer's physical improvement or defensive IQ. I hope he is right though, that would make Wiltjer a great FA catch.

We better not be keeping Brown man. That guy is the PG version of Brewer.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see Wiltjer and Donatas play together...

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Harden really wants her- i mean him, to stay.

[​IMG]

#19 RV6, Oct 24, 2016
    CometsWin, D-rock and Easy like this.
  20. heypartner

[​IMG]

Now I suspect Feigen edited the quote

"The minute I stepped in Houston and laid my eyes on her, I fell in love with the city"