1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets management pushed to play Clint Capela over Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMAC3, Oct 24, 2016.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I can never tell how much truth are in these things and who has interest in leaking this stuff.

So they wanted to reduce Howard's minutes but then they also wanted him to stay one more year, apparently.

ElPigto likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't clicked the story but sounds like a Watkins article judging by the title.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

That's what you'd think, but it's a Tim MacMahon article! Random, huh?

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Article did not make any sense to me either. I honestly have a hard time believing that the organization was content in throwing in the towel for Capela's development, especially coming from Leslie who wants to win at all costs even if it doesn't make sense (i.e. last season we should of just tanked to not lose our 1st rounder when it was obvious in march that we would be embarrassed in the playoffs).

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It does make sense to an extent.

Howard's health is declining and it's obviously questionable whether he would remain in Houston after the season anyways. The Rockets knew they had no chance of going far last season so they were probably beginning to prepare for next season. Since Howard's outlook in Houston isn't looking good, might as well give Capela as much exposure as possible to accelerate his development and getting better grasp of his potential.

I assume the mindset for the Rockets was to see if Capela has what it takes to be a starting center in the league, which would put them in a better position to determine who to pursue in the off-season.

Can't say I disagree with Morey's method. Dwight is already refusing to abandon his ineffective post game in favor of his much more efficient PnR play, coupled with his questionable health and future on the team, it made no sense to dedicate any more effort on Dwight.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Lol someone has an agenda to bring this up before the season starts and I'm thinking it's no one that's on the Rockets payroll.
    I'll go ahead and believe the article but what's the point of digging this us and publishing it now?

8. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Make sense ,not to sign D-mo after all.

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

So Harden pushed for it, but never discussed pushing for the change? Bullshit article is bullshit.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah but sourced by a rockets insider, Watkins. Why the hell else would that f'en mav reporter even care or have info on us and our situation.

Watkins has got to go. There was a thread about Watkins and this **** not too long ago

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Adelman went on record that he was told to tank so not sure Leslie is a win at all costs guy, not all the time at least. Not sure what to believe but this is 2nd article about management trying to influence coaching decisions.

Don't disagree with wanting to play Capela more. Dwight was gone.

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

The thing that is so confusing about all of this to me is, if this is true, why didn't we trade him at the trade deadline?

At that point the season was already pretty much lost- I guess to everyone except Alexander who wanted the revenue from a first round playoff exit. If management really wanted a "drastic reduction in Howard's playing time", and knew that Howard was going to walk in the offseason (everyone knew) then why not trade him for.... something. I don't care. A second round draft pick is better than nothing.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pushing for a promising young player to get more minutes, especially when the guy ahead of him was woefully unproductive given his reputation, is not newsworthy. It's pretty logical.

Maybe if Dwight played the way he should have with pick and roll and didn't demand post ups that he's bad at, the Rockets would have wanted him to play more. Most basketball players try to do what they do well, rather than do what they do poorly. Dwight doesn't seem to grasp that.

15. hakeemthagreat

The same organization who created tension with Rick Adelman because he wouldn't play who "they" wanted to see play? Or the same organization who told Adelman to fire his assistant coaches to put who "they" wanted on the bench? Ofcourse when I say "they" it means Daryl Morey. I believe 100% what this article says. Daryl Morey has a tendency to overstep his boundaries of GM and interfere with coaching decisions. The reason we sucked last year was mainly because this organization has a general manager who's trying to make basketball decisions on his calculator.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Weird timing if nothing else.

Everyone has moved on, except Tim MacMahon, Calvin Watkins & Marc Stein.
    Oh, did I just mention three Dallas-based reporters?

mikol13, Deuce, Amel and 4 others like this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It said they wanted too much.

I am not surprised Morey and Les and super shady.

18. blackistan

blackistan Member

Well this shouldn't come as a surprise I think we could see that during the season

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

When you consider the timing, Watkins past, and who released it, it's obvious this is a hit job made to be a distraction right before the season starts.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Espn continues to throw shade at Morey and the rockets. There been no mention of how Dwight quit on the teamand was quoted as such. Dwight was a cancer for the development of James harden... The truth is that he still believes he is a1st option