1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predicting the Rockets season & Locked on Rockets [Ben DuBose]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 23, 2016.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

First of all, thank you to "the cat" aka Ben DuBose for Locked on Rockets. If you are one of the many that don't think there is enough Rockets talk on the radio then Locked on Rockets should be a staple of your day.

During the summer Ben has had a number of guests that laid out reasons backed up by statistical analysis on why the Rockets were going to be a 50+ win team this season. The majority of those guests had no reason to be biased towards the Rockets at all. Those guests simply looked at the Rockets and analyzed the team without considering the narrative used by national media types that tend bash the Rockets and other media types that tend to parrot the former without actually doing any analysis of the team.

Additionally I dropped in some Locked on NBA podcasts that I thought were very informative and had some Rockets mentions in them. The stat that David Locke is so high on is PAAC (points above average created by an individual). Using that stat the Rockets look to have one of the elite offenses and will win a ton of games. If the Rockets get rid of Corey Brewer that number gets better for the Rockets. Clearly the defense is still an issue until the Rockets prove it's not. David Locke talks about how the defensive numbers actually pulls his prediction on the Rockets down but he still comes across as very bullish on the Rockets.

Below are some episodes of Locked on Rockets that I think should be listened to by anyone trying to predict the upcoming Rockets season outside the veil of the national media types with an agenda against the Rockets.

1. 2. 3. The Rockets talk starts around the 27 minute mark with Ben DuBose. David Locke starts his analysis around the 34:30 minute mark.

By the way, listening to Danny Larue on Locked on Warriors will make you a little sick as he predicts the Warriors will win he 60's in wins as if he is being conservative. The sad part is that he is not bragging or boasting as what he is saying is probably dead on.

4. About the 20:25 mark they talk about defense with a Rockets mention from last season. Houston mention on 3pt shooting around 34:50.

5. Post KG talk starts about the 6 minute mark. Houston talk on bench starts at 22:20. At the 35:30 minute mark Zach talks about Anderson and Gordon were basically Curry and Thompson when they shot open 3s.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. I like listening to The Cat. He sure talks fast doesn't he? Great for podcasts / radio ... there's never dead air.

Btw: to add some random perspective of his analysis for the fans out there, The Cat is a deadly, spot-up 3 point shooter.

#3 heypartner, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    The Cat likes this.
  4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Crazy positive media talk about The Rockets?

Thanks!

5. heypartner

One thing about Vegas-style statiscal predictions for the Rockets this year, it's really hard to predict how long it will take for an adjustment period to a radically different offensive scheme.

I recall Adelman starting off slowly, below predictions, too, right?

As much as it's interesting to see the new half court sets (really like the Horns PnR action using two pickers, and the various dribble drags), we look mechanical right now vs fluid. Still learning where to be, when to pick, when to cut, etc. easy to bust a play when not on same page or timing is off.

Hard to quantify that in statistical predictions.

And for whatever reason, we haven't see much 21 Series action (Pistol) for Harden. Gordon playing with Ennis, McDaniels we have, though. This was a fav of Nash, so odd to me MDA hasn't shown much 21 with Harden. I'm assuming because he's so strong out front/easier to defend on sideline. So 21 for Harden might not even be released until later

#5 heypartner, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  6. Mr. Clutch

maybe the 21 for harden wasn't a high % play last year?

7. heypartner

He always ran it from the 2 position. He was primarily a way for him to get the ball without much fighting for it

It's a package, not just one play. I expected at least playing around with it in preseason from the Nash role this time.

But yeah, defenses probably encourage him to go sideline like that, so maybe never as effective as keeping him in the middle

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yep, I really like listening to Ben. Living in Dallas, it's almost impossible to get any Rockets talk unless they are in city bashing mode or the Mavs are playing the Rockets. I really like the perspective of guys not associated with the Rockets but that are really passionate about the game. As much as I don't like the Jazz I really do like David Locke. I really thought Kevin Pelton was a great to listen to as well.

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

I've listened a few times so far. He's fast paced and engaging.
    Seems to have a good grasp of players, team and the game

heypartner likes this.
  10. Rocket_ph

Rocket_ph Member

thanks for sharing listening right now

11. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

I listened to every single one of his pods from start, but not so much lately. He has a good vibe of being knowledgeable unbiased fan. Few observations though: when interviewing someone, and that someone talks - don't interrupt with "yea" or anything. And also try not to repeat yourself, maybe it's because offseason and not much to talk about, but you mentioned Capela and his 19 minutes average in every single podcast it seems :)

12. Mr. Clutch

Yeah. :p

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is a good guy and I like his podcasts. He talks fast but I have the solution.

We need to get a podcast for the 3 brehs - Clutch, BimaThug and TheCat. TheCat's fast pace can counteract Bima's very slow pace while Clutch is medium paced.

I vote for DD as moderator and interviewer.

The Cat likes this.
  14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I can't recall if it was you or someone else, but this was mentioned in the Watkins/Motiejunas thread, and I've since put a sticky on my computer to remind myself of that tendency every time I record. :) I really do appreciate the feedback. One thing I'll openly acknowledge: I am NOT a radio guy. I hope I get better as this show moves along, but I don't look at it as competition with local talk radio... because those guys are pros. In terms of entertainment value, smoothness of delivery, etc., those guys have taken all sorts of classes and grinded away for years. A good example is me saying "Yeah" during many of Calvin's answers a couple weeks ago. Radio pros are trained to think in terms of the third-party listener, to which I agree, hearing my interjections would definitely be a distraction. Unfortunately, I can get caught up in my own world of just having a normal conversation, rather than thinking about how a third-party listener will consume it. That's a perfect example of the kind of thing I have to clean up and adjust to, and I just hope that in the meantime, I provide enough quality info for people to stick around.

The difference between the "Locked On" podcasts and mainstream shows is the depth. I openly acknowledge that the latter are much smoother and more entertaining, but they're targeted toward a mass audience for ratings purposes, which generally means more casual fans. The LO model is more about the diehards. As I said, I'm not a trained radio pro at all... but I am trained at news reporting and column writing. So the hope is that this is a format where that depth can translate. I look at LOR the same way I would a written "notes" column... basically, what Rockets things do I see/hear that would be most interesting to a diehard fan? And I really enjoy it, because it's actually much easier to bounce around between different subjects on a podcast and cover with more depth, whereas the transitions and word limitations in a written column can sometimes be confining.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks again to everyone that's listened, and I hope the "production" issues will get better over time.

crash5179 likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

My opinion, I thought it was very smooth and it was a good balanced take. I honestly didn't notice the "yeah"

16. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

I've been loving this podcast! Thanks Ben!

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ben's podcasts are great. It can't be easy to carry a show for 20/30+ minutes (alone sometimes) and be able to deftly handle all of the nuances of "talk radio." It is a skill. There will be rough edges. Glad Ben is committed to it. Look forward to the upcoming episodes.