1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 in offense. #11 in defense. #1 overall net rating

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 20, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Yes, I know it's preseason. But it is encouraging that they are playing well on BOTH sides of the ball after 6 games.

Offense: 113.3 (1st)
    Defense: 98.0 (11th)
    Net Rtg: +15.3 (1st)

TheRealAllpro, BigMaloe and cdrive like this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Take into account some docile Sharks and some injury plagued Pelicans along with the Knicks

Yeah many contenders there.

Anyway any positive is a positive. Vast contrast to last pre-season where we went in totally unprepared and were complacent riding on the WCF appearance.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We have one game left against the Spurs right? That will be a decent test.

4. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

rockets>astros>texans

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What I did find most enjoyable are the Rockets' ability to actually go on massive scoring runs.

Not disrespecting Dwight or anything, but the removal of his post game changed up the pace significantly. The Rockets are no longer forcing the ball to Dwight and hoping he makes something happen (which he doesn't most of the time).

Patience and supastevefoo like this.
  6. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Tell that to my HIV test. Hahah. Hahaha. Aww man im dyin here.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This might be true but all that matters is all three had a 0% shot of winning the title.

8. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

So I don't subscribe too much to our early success, but...

There is a more than zero correlation between preseason stats/success and regular season.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/10/21/numbers-game-preseason-trends/

"Preseason is not meaningless. Let's just get that straight. It certainly has more meaning for some teams than it does for others, but in no way should preseason wins, losses or stats be dismissed.

To update this story from a year ago: In the past six seasons (2004-05 through 2009-10), 11 teams have gone through the preseason either undefeated or with just one loss. All 11 have made the playoffs. In the same time, eight teams have won just one game - or haven't won any - in the preseason. Only one of the eight, the 2007-08 Cavs, made it to the playoffs."

hakeem94 and Mazulis like this.
  9. arjun

arjun Member

Preseason does mean something -- remember the year the Lakers had Kobe, Nash, Dwight, Pau, etc. they went 0-9 or something in the preseason....and then continued to struggle into the season.

I would be more interested to know the stats if you only took into account the 1st and 3rd quarters of each preseason game (or the 1st half only), as most teams only play their starters rotation during those times.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only thing I take away from preseason is team chemistry and I'm glad to see the starters do gel well.

11. bmd

bmd Member

First half of each game:

Rockets: 72
    Sharks: 45
    +27

Rockets: 68
    Knicks: 42
    +26

Rockets: 68
    Pelicans: 65
    +3

Rockets: 59
    Pelicans: 34
    +25

Rockets: 55
    Grizzlies: 57

Rockets: 47
    Mavs: 38
    +9

Average margin in first half: +14.7 pts

Average halftime score:

Rockets: 61
    Opponent: 46

arjun likes this.
  12. newAge_Rockets

I hate to say it to all you baseball haters, but the Astros were a trendy title pick this year and will be one for years to come. They **** the bed in April and then suffered an insurmountable amount of injuries that halted their near miraculous push into the playoffs. They are set up better for the future than any other sports franchise in this town unless the Rockets can pair a superstar with Harden.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The starters should not rest against the Spurs. They need to play to keep the chemistry going so they can be ready for the regular season.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

More telling stats: #1 in rebounds, #2 in assists per game, still average in 3p% (probably due to the volume and wrong guys taking a lot of threes), average on TOs and still giving up a lot of points.

hakeem94 and BigMaloe like this.
  15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

+1 bmd, great work, but correct me if I'm wrong but these are ppg? Correct?

If so this would lead me to be even more so cautiously optimistic for the simple fact of pace. If what your displaying is adjusted for pace then carry on.

But if this is straight ppg allowed that would lead me to believe that our defense is much better than anticipated. With us playing at such a high pace it leads to many more possessions not just for us but the opposing teams as well. And if we are giving up just the 11th most ppg playing at such a brisk pace then this is another good sign besides just the offense being #1. Their defense may be one of the better defenses all preseason long.

Net rating has always seemed to be the biggest indicator of overall success. Having the best so far is encouraging. I'm not very good at finding all these stats (especially on my phone at work in the bathroom lol) but if someone could pull up and possibly find rankings for

Points per possession
    points per possession allowed
    Points per 100
    Points allowed per 100
    And any other adjusted stats.

Thanks in advance anyone who does this for me. Great stuff as always BMD.

16. bmd

bmd Member

No, it's not PPG. It's Offensive Rating... meaning the number of points scored per 100 possessions. So it's been adjusted for pace.

If you want straight PPG, the Rockets score 121.8 ppg (#1), which is ahead of the 2nd place Warriors by 8 ppg (113.7). Rockets give up 107.2 ppg, which is 26th. But their +/- is +14.7, which is #1, and 3.5 points better than the 2nd place Warriors.

So they are #1 in both net rating, which adjusts for pace, and #1 in +/- which just uses the raw ppg numbers.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The way they smashed that ass last night was impressive. I think a little of the "our offense is defense" train of thought is happening too. The Rockets look like they hit the nitro button and didn't even try hard. Just what they do now. I hope that doesn't lead to complacency on their end but on the other side it looked like it caused Dallas to panic and force things and try too hard, etc.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

If they can perform even half as well as that net rating, they'll be a 55+ win team.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take out the Sharks games and how do we look?

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Rockets should play a few more CBA teams, so they can be #1 in both offense and defense heading into the regular season. That will really show the rest of the league. Maybe throw in a few preseason games against high schools and small college programs.

Yung-T and rm365 like this.