1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does Onuaku never play?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Oct 20, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

He's had virtually the least playing time and least number of games of anyone on the team.

Another question... is it possible for him to not be on the team?

For example... if the Rockets keep Wiltjer and sign Motiejunas, then that is 16 players. Someone has to go. And that would be too many 4s and 5s. They would have 7 of them.

So what is Onuaku's outlook for this team?

#1 bmd, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

15th man Towel boy or D league at best

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Still can't believe Buffet Mauri drafted this bum over Key Felder.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

Another blown draft pick by the triple chinned cheese burger. What's new? He is a very mediocre drafter, plain and simple.

Over the past few years - Royce White, Dekker, Chinuanu, Chow Key, Morris over Kawhi, Furkan Aldemir, Nick Johnson......

No more excuses.

5. bmd

bmd Member

To be fair, he hasn't had any high draft picks. I think 14th is the best pick he's gotten in those years. And only a handful of guys who were picked 14th or later end up being good players.

BigMaloe, LCAhmed and Pen15clubber like this.
  6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think he's probably just too raw and the Rockets don't foresee him making a contribution this season.

I doubt he gets cut though, as the advance stats love him. Disagree with the advanced stats all you want, but clearly it's something Morey pays attention to.

Just look his profile on 538: they project him as a "great prospect"
    Compare to Wiltjer who is rated as a "marginal prospect"
    Dekker as a "ok prospect"
    Capela as a "up and comer"
    Dmo is a "scrub"

7. FTW Rockets FTW

D Green, Ibaka, Kawhi, Parker, Butler, Ginobili, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol etc etc

Plenty of all stars / core players to be found after the 14th pick. You just have to find them. And Mauri has failed at that despite several chances to pick a diamond out of the rough.

So much easier when you have one of your own rookies turn out to be a top 3 player on a contending team than having to cry through free agency and trades to find one.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When he was drafted, his best case scenario would be that he would be a "Tarrick Black" like rookie who could contribute by doing the dirty work at the 5.

The biggest difference here is that the Rockets now have 3 better options in front of him unlike Black's opportunity, and frankly its more important at this stage that Capela and Harrell get the preseason reps to be ready for the regular season.

Unless there are multiple injuries at the big spot (and in D'Antoni's offense it really is ONE spot), Onuaku is D-League bound, and is really needing to spend this time to learn NBA sets, and work on his skills. However its more important for this year that Capela and Harrell be improved players, and take advantage of the preseason reps.

9. bmd

bmd Member

You named 8 players in a span of 18 years. Yes, obviously there are good players beyond the 14th pick. But it's a complete crap-shoot to land one, and there aren't that many.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Basically this, they know he's not going to help at all this season so, not even a point to have him out there.

Matt78777 likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

There are many more. I just named the all stars off the top of my head. Why can't Mauri find one pick (even beyond the 14th pick) that is good enough to be retained past their rookie contract as a Houston Rocket and can be at worst the 3rd best player on the team? That shouldn't be tough unless you are very mediocre in drafting like Murray.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's super young. Only 19

13. Nivos

Nivos Member

I think that the Rockets drafting strategy is wrong to begin with.
    They draft young prospects that will need 2-3 years on the D leauge until they can make it to the NBA.
    This is right angle for a young lottery team that is looking for the future.
    In Houston these guys can't contribute and don't get the playing time in to be worth as assets.
    I think they should aim for more mature guys that will adjust easier to the leauge and can show their skills now, to help the team or as good trade chips. No one wants to get a cat in the bag.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

2016 Preseason rookies after Chinanu.
    [​IMG]

craguin likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe that's the case if you are talking about a top 10 draft pick, but we are talking about a 2nd rounder for crying out loud. Who in the second round was going to beat out Clint Capela, and Nene for minutes at the big spot because he has "NBA ready" skills?

Judge Rockets rookies all you want, but look at how many of their picks, 1st and 2nd rounders are contributors in their sophomore years.

-Brooks
    -Landry
    -Morris
    -Jones (yes he was a starter his sophomore year)
    -Capela
    -Patterson

etc. etc. etc.

None of these players were top 10 draft picks, and most were late 1st round or 2nd round players. This is exactly the kind of value that you want in the late 1st and 2nd round. Given the track record I'm sure that Onuaku will be a contributor in year 2 if there are minutes available. I'd be shocked if Dekker isn't a solid rotation player this year as well (when virtually everyone here was calling him a bust last year in his rookie year frankly because he was hurt) given the Rockets track record with 2nd year players.

oakdogg likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's about as difficult as predicting jellybeans in a jar.

News flash: Felder isn't all that great guys.

Williamson and oakdogg like this.
  17. hvic

hvic Member

There is always room at the bench for a cheerleader. If Onuaku is a bust then I will shrug if off as a normal pick from Maury

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's 19. Capela was raw as hell at that age, but he's come a long way and could be our starter this year. Onuaku has a lower ceiling, but still needs to develop. There are very few big men at that age ready to play in the NBA. Plus, we have plenty of bigs to develop in front of him.

19. Tadow

Tadow Member

The fact that he's smart enough to shoot granny style free throws because he sucks at shooting them regular makes me like and respect him because it shows that he'll do anything to be better and help his team win.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I remember Capela's draft and that guy from ESPN saying if you ever saw Capela play you would know why I think he'll be a bust. The guy was wrong, you have to give Onuaku a few years. Talking of big men busts, heard Thabeet was mounting a comeback, his management team says he's nothing like the Thabeet that last played in the NBA 2 seasons ago.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/can-hasheem-thabeet-salvage-nba-career/

oakdogg likes this.