1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GP II, B. Brown, Wiltjer, D-Mo or trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Oct 17, 2016.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

The Rockets have 14 guaranteed contracts and it appears everyone is playing well, even Pridgioni ,Ennis and even Brewer has had his moments during the Pre-season. Talk is Wiltjer is the odds on favorite to take the last spot but MDA said, he prefers another point guard.

I like our bench, so just in case Gordon or Anderson goes down, we have depth. I would like to have another big, I just don't know how long Nene will holdup. So what does Morey do?

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

It's a bit dependent on Beverley to me. If the coaching staff feels good about his health going forward, I'm not against dropping Prigs and rolling with both Wiltjer and D-Mo for different situational subs. The Gordon-Harden backcourt is talented enough that the traditional need to be 3-deep with traditional point guards may not apply to Houston.

If we feel like Beverley is going to miss games this year for sure, I'd sign Wiltjer and then drop him when and if the D-Mo signing is made, in the meantime he's a small bit of insurance in case D-Mo takes the holdout to the next level.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not sure Tyler Ennis will make it, Wiltjer looks great as a shooter, but man he doesn't cut to the basket he just does a circle at the top of the 3pt line, needs to do more - he looks like a D-league player for a year or so.

DD

DonKnock likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Drop Bobby Brown for sure, I'd probably then try to move Brewer and Onuaku for space if we weren't trying to shake up the roster too much. I think we obviously need another ball handler, more shooters, and better defensive rebounders. We will see what Morey does.

Beverley / Prigioni / Ennis
    Harden / Gordon / Payton
    Ariza / KJ / Dekker
    Anderson / Dmo / Harrell
    Capela / Nene / Wiltjer

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We need a consolodation trade.

This is why I am proposing a Brewer / McDaniels / 1st for Rudy Gay trade.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I really think that a trade would help us right now (whether D.Mo stays or not)...and imo, Brew is the one who should go for first, not only cause i don't see him as a great fit here, but also cause Dekker and KJ are ready to play at this point.

Brown has no chance to make the team btw...imo at least, Prigioni is definitely better than him. Both are old and slow, but Prigs is just smarter, knows how to run a team, can make good things happen in different ways...he's just a better player/presence to have on the court.

The big question for me is who's going to make the team between Wiltjer and PGII...the first looks more ready to me (even though i'm not sure he can play minutes in real games as today), but at the same time i would like to keep Payton, he needs to work on his outside shot obviously, but he has the chance to become a good fit with Harden, and call me crazy, but i also kinda see him being some sort of vocal leader on the field in the future...which is something we need anyway imo.

And i don't really know what to think about Ennis, didn't look bad against Memphis, not particularly good either...the second unit was playing ok with him though so, yeah...i just don't know...

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Prigioni isn't going anywhere.

8. hvic

hvic Member

Wiltjer and PGII both look like D league players and need more time developing their skills. Wiltjer is a better shooter but unathletic and not able to chase down rebounds or has trouble defending.

9. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Having watched Wiltjer in Summer League I completely agree. He looked lost and was horrible around the rim. VERY slow.

10. hakeemthagreat

GP2 needs to make the team. His energy and defense will be needed. He's a pest on defense and creates steals. Those type players are needed in the playoffs

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Harden / Prigioni / Ennis
    Beverley / Gordon / McDaniels
    Ariza / Brewer
    Anderson / (DMo) / Dekker / Wiltjer
    Nene / Capela / Harrell / Onuaku

That's 16, so somebody has to go.

I'd hate to see Wiltjer go. I know he's not perfect, but with Anderson's history I like having the duplicate skill set.....and he looks very capable of stepping into that role immediately. They've given him significant time over the last 3 games, and a portion of it was with the regular rotation.

The easiest way to clear a spot for Wiltjer is to cut Prigioni, but I don't see that happening. Besides Harden and Gordon, he's the only other reliable ball handler we have.

My best guess is we have a 2-for-1 trade lined up for when/if DMo signs. I wouldn't be surprised if we wanted Noel, which would probably involve a 3rd team if Capela is going out.

D-rock and kevtse like this.
  12. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think a trade is coming. Wiltjer's shooting is elite and a team like the Rockets need shooting to separate themselves from other teams. D-Mo's back is still a subject and with Nene, Capella, Wiltjer, Harrell, and Dekker I don't see minutes for D-Mo on this team. I can see a 2nd unit with Harrell/Capella and/or Dekker/Wiltjer being very productive.

If we can get R.Gay and match him with Capella, Dekker, Gordon and McDaniels on the 2nd unit, I think we will have the deepest team in the league.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd definitely keep wiltjer over GP2, who has not really showed anything in any game with us to date. wiltjer is younger, has a an elite skill, and has looked good in the minutes he's gotten

Remlap likes this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

Have you watched the game? GP2 has shown something every game he's played on defense with steals, energy & hustle.

D-rock likes this.
  15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Harrell will step up and play Big if Nene goes down. We need another pg...Gordon will miss time...plus Harden needs to watch his minutes

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the board consensus is that Brewer needs to go. But for what? Who would actually give us anything in return for him? I'm afraid he'd have to be a deal like Jeremy Lin was where we actually have to give up a pick just to unload him. I, personally, don't want to see him gone that badly. Hell, I'd rather waive him and pay his salary but it's not my money.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Brewer needs to go for sure. Even if you have to throw in a pick to get someone to take him.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh...i wouldn't trade a pick just to unload him tbh...Lin was a different situation obviously, right now i don't see a reason to do something similar, Brewer may actually boost his value a bit if plays here, and when you see that an expiring Beasley can still bring you a 1st round pick with two more years under contract eh...maybe i'm wrong, but in the end, looking at some contracts signed this summer, i don't really think that unload Brewer would be that hard.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Double post sorry.

20. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

How about we sign Toney Douglas??