1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] "Capela's stamina is much better than we thought" MDA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 1, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Remember last year when many said Capela "hit the rookie wall?" People called it the rookie wall because it was pretty much his first full season.

Well, DMA said he was worried during the summer about Capela's "little tank" but says he's very impressed so far.

"His stamina is much better than we thought," Mike D'Antoni said. "I was a little worried about it this summer. Everybody said he has a little tank; not so far. He's running up and down. He's pushing through when he gets tired. He's building up a reservoir of strength and energy. I think he's ready."

If his "little tank" was reason for inconsistent defense last year, this could be a big improvement.

Clint Capela determined to become an elite center
    By Jonathan Feigen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like most masters of the Swiss Alps, or at least those that could call those slopes home, Clint Capela learned early the rule of downhill skiing. He decided where he was going to go and was certain he would get there fast.

Then he discovered basketball. He was 13 years old. His athletic interests had been limited to soccer and skiing. He was immediately hooked, but the same rule applied.

Capela had barely touched a basketball when he decided where he wanted it to take him, and he was determined to get there fast.

The plan was simple. Two years playing in Switzerland to improve enough to move to Paris, two years in Paris to catch the eye of scouts, two years of playing professionally in France and then on to the NBA.

After two seasons as Dwight Howard's backup, he is the Rockets' likely starter. And as always, he had no intention of slowing down progress.

"I feel like I am really prepared for this and I'm ready to start," Capela said. "It's going to be a real good challenge for me. I did really good the last practices. I just can't wait to see what I'm going to do in the regular season. If I'm doing good, I think the team is going to be doing good, too. And right now, I'm doing good."
    [​IMG]
    The Rockets have grown accustomed to his accelerated timetable, unsure if he can continue to progress as rapidly as he has so far but determined to find out.

As much as the Rockets have praised the play of their other center, Nene, through the first week of camp, when general manager Daryl Morey was asked about the importance of Capela's continued development, he started by citing the team's goals, knowing how essential Capela's growth could be to the Rockets' success.

"For us to have the season we hope to have, which is to get homecourt in the Western Conference and to make a deep playoff run and hopefully get deeper than I've ever been in my career, Clint is going to have to take a big step forward," Morey said. "And it's not an easy step to go from 15 to 20 minutes against often not the starting center to playing 25 plus minutes against frontline guys. That's a big step forward. It takes a big toll on your body to do that night in, night out.

"He's added a lot of muscle. He's worked extremely hard over the last two years in the off-season. He's someone that can take that step forward. That's something we're going to need … especially on the defensive side of the ball."
    Capela has added 30 pounds to his 6-10 frame since he was drafted, now carrying 252 pounds with so little difficulty that he said the greatest improvement physically has been to his endurance.

"His stamina is much better than we thought," Mike D'Antoni said. "I was a little worried about it this summer. Everybody said he has a little tank; not so far. He's running up and down. He's pushing through when he gets tired. He's building up a reservoir of strength and energy. I think he's ready."
    That is a significant start, but Capela will likely assume much more responsibility than bringing last season's energy for much more than last season's 19.1 minutes per game. He has demonstrated good pick-and-roll chemistry with James Harden, making 68.4 percent of his shots when getting the ball as the roll man. But he will face stronger lineups and for longer than he has before.

"He's been progressing really well so far," Rockets assistant coach Roy Rogers, who worked with the Rockets big men, said. "You look at Clint, just his growth in the league, has been tremendous. But now, we're looking for bigger stuff.

"We're looking for him to be the captain of our defense because he's actually back there. He sees everything happen in front of him. We need his communication to be better. Those are things we've been working on early in the preseason. We expect Clint to get better at them as the season rolls along."
    Capela's expects at least that much. He also knows how important he could be. Rogers not surprisingly described Capela as "impatient." But Capela also has long-term goals, even if long-term for him has never taken very long.

"I definitely want to be an All Star whenever I am my best in my career," Capela said. "I want to be … consistent with what I'm doing so that my teammates every night can count on me."​
    For now, he understood why Morey so quickly tied the Rockets' goals to his play.

"Now that my minutes are going to increase, my play is going to influence more on the team's winning, of course," Capela said. "This is what we do. This is basketball. It's not really pressure. I just try to enjoy it and give the best that I can."
    That's worked so far. He has made up for being so far from home – he went back to Geneva for three weeks after the season – by having friends and family in town through the season. The ski slopes, however, will have to wait.

"I miss that," Capela said. "Maybe I'll start again whenever I retire. I was good. I think I will do it again one day, but not now."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

#1 heypartner, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Pause.

Yung-T, ISOBall and DonKnock like this.
  3. heypartner

haha. I was trying to think of a Carl Herrera title that worked in the phrase "little tank" but gave up.

4. CertifiedTroll

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they're trying to trade him out?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does anyone else think it's weird hes concerned about this? I don't remember Capela being tired

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has to prove that he can become a consistent defensive force, and he has to show real progress on offense as well.

The kid has a long way to go.

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. Capela looked gassed a lot last year. I thought he was much less explosive as the year went on. Good sign if he's improving on this.

9. heypartner

No.

It was a recurring topic last year, ppl saying he hit the rookie wall. Even Les mentioned it. Feigen also suggested it.

Yung-T, BigMaloe, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  10. basketballholic

You're going to find out sooner than later that Capela cannot play at the frenetic pace that we want to play at. He simply can't do it. It's not about the rookie wall. He's going to have the same problems as he had last season.

Same thing happened to Dwight. He could not and cannot play at the pace we want to play at.

And the same thing is true for most bigs. This is precisely why Draymond is such a problem. He can play the 5 at a frenetic pace and bust all thise big boys who simply are gassed.

This is why I'm saying we need to trade Capela. He can't keep up in this style offense.

And this is why I'm saying we need to trade for Nerlens. Nerlens can keep up. Nerlens would be awesome running the court in this style game. If he developed a 32% 3-ball, he'd be an All star in our system.

Capela on the other hand, in spite of all your hopes, dreams, and wishes, has no chance to be an all-star in our system. Our system is going to expose Capela's flaws. And bulking up is only going to magnify his lack of stamina. Wait and see.

malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clint is a fantastic rim runner and a top pick and roll finisher in the NBA, at 21.

He will be more than fine.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was excited about Capela's potential in his first season. I went so far to say that the only two players I wouldn't want to lose on the roster were Capela and DMo. (Yeah, DMo was fantastic in that season.)

Then I was disappointed last season.

I hope last season's problem was strength and stamina issues that can be fixed over time. I remember Yao had stamina issues in his first couple of seasons when he was not used to pushing and shoving down low by NBA big men.

13. Mr. Clutch

Thanks hp. I looked at his splits and didn't see that he got worse

I remember we stopped the twin towers because of spacing and turnover issues

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I also wonder what happened to his dunking last year?
    That first season he was dunking with a special ferocity.

15. heypartner

Have to pull out the ThatBoyNick post above in my compilation.

------------------------------
    Once he gets his stamina up, starts to bulk up he will be back to surprising us with awesome plays and great games -/ ThatBoyNick Jan 2016
    ------------------------------
    That pretty much covers all the camp storylines regarding Capela this year. Good call

16. Mr. Clutch

Defense adjusted I assume

17. heypartner

#17 heypartner, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How I hope he's really improved during the off-season. The article reads well. It's exciting, but is he really ready to take that 3rd year jump? Hell, can the guy learn to hit 60% of his free throws? Not a word about that.

19. basketballholic

There's a reason there's not a word.

Clank

malakas likes this.
  20. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Any athlete can improve their conditioning if they train intelligently and put in the requisite work. All the SC coach needs to do is figure out what's holding Capella back and address that issue appropriately.