1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Black Lives Matter Movement in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by don grahamleone, Sep 27, 2016.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

After hearing so many people from the NBA Media ask players if they will kneel, I've started to wonder what is going on. LeBron is obviously the biggest leader in the NBA socially (and probably on the court as well) and hearing him say this makes me think that the movement will continue. That there will be solidarity.

My initial thought after hearing LeBron speak is that white coaches will be the first to follow Kaepernick, then it will be non-black players, then everyone. I could obviously be wrong, but it feels like something is brewing and no players want to say what it is. The NBA is incredibly progressive, it and we have a progressive leader in Silver, I just believe something will definitely happen and it will be a game changer.

Is anyone else getting this vibe? The ESPY speech seems like just the beginning.

Good on ya' Kaep! Free speech rocks!

2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The NBA is light years ahead of the NFL on social issues. I just googled "NBA public service" and the top hits are about NBA players seeking to reduce gun violence and women's rights. Those are complex and very ambitious topics. "NFL public service" turns up hits about reducing domestic violence and fireworks safety. Those are damage control topics meant to stop people from thinking that all NFL players beat up their wives or act like idiots.

So the NBA really should lead on this issue. They're capable enough to not just bring awareness (i.e. anthem kneeling) but actually support specific proposals, which IMO is what Lebron would like to see. In the NFL, people go nuts if you even bring up the topic.

RedRedemption and zeeshan2 like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think the protesters should block the exits to the tundra parking garage after all home games.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Silver has been a very very progressive commish so far.
    However, I get the feeling that he's going to continue to remain neutral in order not to alienate the non-black, moderate demographic that follows the NBA. IMO, nothing will happen officially it will entirely be player-lead and Silver will step aside and let whatever happens, happen.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Silver did not fine players for the #ICantBreathe shirts, but he asked the players to otherwise adhere to "on-court attire rules". I don't foresee Silver demonizing, or even policing, players who chose to sit. To my understanding, there isn't an NBA rule on standing or sitting, contrasted with the "on-court attire rules".

That said, the NBA dealt with this issue in 1996 (albiet on a much smaller scale). Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf refused to stand for the anthem and the NBA suspended him for 1 game. Abdul-Rauf later stood, closed his eyes, and looked downwards during the anthem. I do not foresee the Stern forcing a large amount of players to do that.