1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Does the Steelers game yesterday make you feel better about the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Simple question.

Do you feel better about the Texans after watching the Steelers, a perennial powerhouse, get demolished by the Eagles and their rookie QB?

The Eagles score more points while creating less turnovers. They weren't even handed the ball on two kickoffs.

And most people considered the Steelers better than the Texans.

No one is calling for Mike Tomlin's head, either.

I, for one, feel much better. If an ugly loss is going to happen, let it happen early and let the team build from it.

Didn't make a poll, because I want thoughtful responses.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was already not jumping off a bridge about the Texans loss so it didn't make me feel better because I already realized that it was just one game. That said, it could work as useful context to those knee jerking too hard over the loss.

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Good perspective, but Tomlin and Roethlisberger are much more established (they have won 2 super bowls) while our team/offense are very new. It's early and a small sample size, but Osweiler and the offense haven't shown much to be very excited about. Hopefully things improve.

4. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Does the Pats Vs Chiefs game during the 2014 championship season makes you feel better?

List can go on. Let's just get to the playoffs

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Tomlin, Roflberger, and the Steelers have a metric buttload of credibility built up where they can poop the bed and not have their competency questioned.

BOB and the Texans? Not so much.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly the point, it can happen to anyone.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There are lot of ups and downs in a NFL season. The best teams usually separate from the rest around thanksgiving. Its still a long way to go and we have to remember the Texans have 7 new offensive starters so there will be some ups and downs.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah it does a bit. Steelers are regarded as a super bowl contender and even on a given week they can get blown out by a team with a rookie QB

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I think people generally overreact to thursday night football games. NFL shouldn't have TNF games, point blank. It's always a blowout. Always a terrible game. I'm not saying we would've won on a Sunday, but overreacting to a TNF loss is about as silly as the NFL actually scheduling TNF. Money play that destroys the game.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... unfortunately it is the fastest appreciating game package the NFL currently has.

Thursday night will always be a gold-mine due to the amount of television audiences set to tune in. The other networks have pretty much surrendered to the NFL as nobody wants to go H-2-H against them in primetime.

The NFL should do a better job of scheduling... they could somehow have teams set to play a Thursday night game get a bye week the Sunday before.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

hold up... the steelers and pats example from a few years ago are being used against the texans but in fact it supports them and what happened.

12. conquistador#11

The nfl more than any other sport is tailored for the knee jerk social media fantasy playing dorks. your team is going to get got, how they respond to it, that shows you what type of team you have.

I hate boston fans acting all high and mighty when they were the picture of crapfest for a century. Never forget where you came from. Should we one day arrive, I hope our fans and writers don't turn into utter dbags. I can somewhat handle sky is falling friendly fire even if it can be maddening at times.

awc713 likes this.
  13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Any given Sunday. It happens, teams can lay a goose egg......but like the OP said, I'm glad it happened early. Just hope for some better ST play, too much to ask for good ST play for this franchise.....

Team had no chance with those kick off fumbles.

Ready to have a healthy Brown back, and Brock to get more comfortable.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

In a word, No. I'm not liking what I'm seeing which is a team that's only marginally better than the other teams in its division and that's not saying much at all. BoB's "pissy" imitation of Belichick has fallen flat with me as well. I'm not expecting them to be a Super Bowl team but I'm fed up with Houston sports teams being irrelevant also-rans. Recall what BoB himself said in the first episode of last year's Hard Knocks:

"Let's be honest with each other," Texans coach Bill O'Brien says to his coaches on the eve of training camp. "This place has no respect in the league, just so you guys are all aware of that. This organization is 96-126. Thirty games below .500. Turn your TV on. Nobody talks about the Houston Texans because nobody thinks we're gonna win.

This is the state of affairs that I'm fed up with regarding the Texans. So no, I don't give a rat's ass about what happened to the Steelers or anyone else because it has nothing to do with what's going on here.

J.R. likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Feel better? yes

Believe we're now a true contender? no

16. ipaman

But you can't honestly say you thought we were a pre-season contender with an entirely new offense including an unproven QB. So nothing gained and nothing lost other than one game.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You don't think adding an above average QB and RB to a top 5 defense equals a true contender?

18. ipaman

No, I did not think at the beginning of the season that we were SB contenders. I thought with our weak division we would win 10 games. The main reason is both the QB and the RB have never been "the man" for a full season. I liked (still do) the potential but both were unproven. So at the beginning of the season I thought we would be a good team but not a SB contender and after the last result I still feel exactly the same way. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

All your chest-pumping and trash talk before the game and you lost no confidence after a 27-0 beatdown?

Okay, man

20. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

The Texans are not beating the Patriots in the playoffs and what the Steelers did/didn't do makes little difference.

The Texans were outclassed and blown out by a team without their two best players (Brady/Gronk) and relying on a rookie third string QB with four days to prepare.

There is nothing that will make me feel more confident other than beating the Patriots.

Hey.... maybe the Texans hold off the mediocre Colts and find a way to win their division.... to only get throttled in the playoffs again.