1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2016.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Let's get the party started again...

HC Openings and Candidates:
    1. LSU - Jimbo Fisher, Tom Herman

Coordinator Openings:
    1. Notre Dame Defensive Coordinator

In the Hot Seat?:
    1. Clay Helton - USC
    2. Charlie Strong - Texas
    3. Gus Malzahn - Auburn

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Candidates - Tom Herman (everywhere)

3. Buck Turgidson

Would OU ever get rid of Stoops?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it's about time. He's a good coach. It just feels like it's time for a change. He hasn't done much in the watered down version of the Big 12.

5. gucci888

Don't see it as long as Castiglione is running the show.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I don't think they will, at least not after this season, barring things really going sideways for them. Even if they were the beneficiary of some breaks that went their way last season to get where they did, they did get to the playoff, and outside of an 8-5 2014 season, they've won 10 or more games every year since 2010. It's been a slight step back from the first half of his OU tenure, but it's not too far off.

Generally speaking, I would agree with the feeling that OU is no longer among the upper crust elite programs in college football, the numbers show that they're still right there.

What might be worse for Bob than being fired, with all of that being said, is having to fire his brother as DC. That can't be a fun conversation to have.

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Go back and look at Stoops' record against ranked teams outside the Big 12. Aside from a huge win against Alabama in 2014, they have been embarrassing since 2003. No way you can say they're elite because they made the playoffs last year. They lost to a horrible UT team and then were blown out in their playoff matchup. A lot of the Big 12 teams have inflated success, because the conference is weak.

8. Buck Turgidson

Yall have a coach from Oklahoma and a coonass DC. As a Texan I'd be slightly embarrassed.

LonghornFan likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Who is from Oklahoma? Sumlin? He's not from Oklahoma. He spent some time there, before that he was at... TAMU. I'm not from Dallas, I don't care who your daddy is or where you come from or how much family money you were born into. I'm from Houston, I care about your values, ideas and what you can bring to the table.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

...and pee-pee games.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Purdue has fired Darrell Hazell
    (Sept. 25) FIU fired Ron Turner

12. gucci888

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fresno State has fired Tim DeRuyter.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Malzahn isn't in the hot seat imo

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He was terrible to start the year, but he has made a lot of positive changes the past few weeks. Not sure he's fully turned it around yet, but yeah, he's off the hot seat.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fresno State has hired former Cal coach Jeff Tedford

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As an alum, like the hire. Tedford was a QB with the Bulldogs. Should help revitalize the offense if not the whole program.

19. gucci888

Interesting nuggets on Strong from Chip Brown. Some posters speculating it could be FSU if LSU comes after Jimbo. Obviously all rumors so TIFWIW

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think this is a fantastic hire. I think many forget just how impressive what Tedford did at Cal was. They went to seven straight bowl games at one point when the program hadn't even been to more than two in a row since the late-40s into the early-50s.

Perhaps just as impressively, he stuck around Berkeley for a decade and continued to get the job done there, despite an apparent lack of support from the administration. Sonny Dykes has done a pretty decent job there, but after last season, he was very clearly trying to find a way out, even if it was a lateral move on its face. To me, that suggests that he doesn't really feel supported there, and I doubt that that is a new phenomenon. Yet, you didn't hear about that kind of stuff (or at least I didn't) when Tedford was at the helm.

J.R. likes this.