1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recent Tyler Ennis breakdown by Buck's Fansite

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Sep 22, 2016.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

http://behindthebuckpass.com/2016/07/28/milwaukee-bucks-summer-outlook-tyler-ennis/

2015-16 Strengths
    Tyler Ennis showed a lot of improvement from his rookie season to last year. That’s probably more important than what he actually did on the floor, considering his limited role and young age.

Season Age G MP FGA FG% 3PA 3P% eFG% FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PTS
    2014-15 20 33 12.5 4.4 .361 1.3 .279 .403 0.2 .714 1.1 2.2 0.5 0.2 1.3 3.7
    2015-16 21 46 14.2 4.1 .449 0.8 .333 .484 0.7 .735 1.6 2.1 0.5 0.0 1.0 4.5

Ennis improved his field goal percentage, three-point percentage, rebounds per game, points per game and turnovers per game between his first and second NBA seasons.

None of those numbers are especially impressive on their own, but the upward trend there is a nice thing to see from a young player.

Ennis has shown that he has impressive vision at times. He dished 12 assists against the Hornets and 11 against the Celtics in games last season. At times Ennis can fade into the background a bit, but when he’s on he can be impressive.

With his distribution ability coming in as his biggest strength, Ennis’ shooting touch might come in second. He’s not exactly a deadeye marksman, but he did manage to get his three-point percentage up to 33.3 last year.

2015-16 Weaknesses
    It’s tough to tell where Tyler Ennis is really at in terms of development sometimes because Milwaukee Bucks fans always get such limited looks at him. Ennis played just 14.2 minutes per game across 42 contests, and didn’t shoot much when he was on the floor.

That makes it hard to tell what’s real about his game. With a sample size that small, variance could play a huge role in determining Ennis’ statistics. He could be better or worse than expected at passing, shooting, scoring or defense.

The small role Ennis sported for most of the season despite injuries to Milwaukee’s guards could be considered a weakness in itself. It’s hard for a young player to really break out in the NBA, but Ennis certainly had an opportunity at impressing people last season.

One area Ennis didn’t look great at last year was defense. He recorded just 23 steals across his 46 games, which is a low total for a guard to manage. Ennis also looked overmatched at times in halfcourt sets on that end.

Although Ennis has been a good free throw shooter in his NBA career, he really struggled from the charity stripe in the Olympic qualifying tournament. Hopefully hemakes more than 46 percent of his NBA free throws next year.

Areas Requiring Improvement
    Tyler Ennis seems to have some talent, he honestly just needs to get better at showcasing it. Some of the problem is just a lack of minutes, but Ennis can look slightly timid at times when he is on the floor.

Seeing him really take over the offense would be a lot of fun. If the increases in his statistics last year are legitimate, he might surprise some people with what he can do on the court if he really got a chance to run.

His work with Team Canada this summer should help with that. Ennis ran the point for Canada, who unfortunately failed to qualify for the Olympics.

Ennis himself summed up what he really needs to work on in a Charles Gardner piecefrom last season.

“I think I get a lot of open shots throughout the game. I’ve just got to take them.

“It sounds crazy but you have to get a rhythm. When you’re playing so much now, you have a bit of rhythm, being ready to shoot.”

Just taking the shots would help Ennis a ton. Of course becoming a better defender and shooter will help any player–what Tyler Ennis really needs is some confidence though.

Hopefully his time with Team Canada this summer can help him with that.

Realistic Expectations
    Third-year leaps are somewhat common in the NBA. Tyler Ennis probably isn’t going to take a massive step forward like Giannis Antetokounmpo did in his third season last year, but he seems to be in position to become a better player next year.
    The experience of running the point for his home country could be huge for Ennis. Although Canada won’t be represented at the Olympics, the qualifying tournament is more than nothing.

Between simply having another NBA season under his belt and getting to be a part of Team Canada, Bucks fans might get a look at the real Tyler Ennis next season. Minutes won’t be plentiful for him behind Matthew Dellavedova andMichael Carter-Williams, so it’s tough to gauge what his stats will resemble.

Seeing Ennis take more shots and be unafraid to really run the floor when he’s on the court would be a nice change, and seems a very realistic expectation for the young guard.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He can get to the bucket. Something we lacked outside of Harden last year. I expect a lot of run for him.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is why I love clutchfans - the trade just announced and already 5 pages of conversation and multiple threads. Welcome to the offseason.

Pizza_Da_Hut and DarkHorse like this.
  4. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I think he can spend some time int he D-League. This being his third year it sounds necessary for him to get reps. With Beverly/Harden/Gordon running the point Ennis is unlikely to see much of the court this season.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If there's anything I've learned from being a rockets fan, it's never question murney on young, not-so-known point guards. You can question him all day, all day on old point guards but not young ones.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

New fan favorite? Pbev v. Payton v. Ennis starting threads imminent.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Ennis may surprise you. With the injury prone Beverly and Gordon I'm sure he'll see some clock and lets see how Beverly fits with MDAs offense.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is a solid point - Houston does NOT want to be in a situation where Bev/Gordon misses some time and we got Pablo P playing point most of the game. Love Pablo, but that guys old than me and I'm a dinosaur.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

a basic stats breakdown?

10. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Thanks for this. I'm trying to find whatever info about him I can

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Looks like Morey is taking a low cost risk on Ennis turning into a 3rd year surprise. Not a bad gamble considering that point guards seem to make a leap later in their careers.

12. malakas

malakas Member

He was given multiple chances and failed to capitalise. His only chance to maintain a long term carreer is to become a great shooter because he lacks strength and quickness and his vision is meh and he's not a great ballhandler.

13. rockets13champs

I cant wait to see ennis/anderson pnr and ennis throwing allyoops to capela, montrez, payton

14. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

We need some depth at the pg position so I'm excited to see what he can bring.

15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

It's happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

This guy or Prigs as your main backup?? Hope Ennis is a gem.

17. dmoneybangbang

He could fit in well with the PNR the MDA employs and is a good gamble with 2 years left on his rookie deal.

18. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Tyler Ennis will be the next Jordan.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yeah, Jordan Farmar.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd be satisfied if he was as good as Farmar. 8/3/2 on less than 20 minutes sounds really good.

Williamson likes this.