1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas new contract extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tropics83, Mar 22, 2015.

1. tropics83

tropics83 Member

Hey guys I am new to this board. I was just browsing T-Jones and Donuts stats for the season. As we all know both of them will be eligible for new contracts this offseason. I was just wondering what type of extension you think Morey will offer both. especially Terrence? My guess is as follows:

Terrence Jones: 4 yrs 48Million
    D-Mo: 4 yrs 36M

What do you guys think? I think it would be wise to offer both guys something in the range above especially Terrence because if he comes back next year and has an even bigger season we are potentially looking at another team with cap space throwing around 15 to 18 per season next year with the new increase in salary cap!

2. Orange

Orange Member

12 million for t Jones?? What type of crack were you on when u made this thread??

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They are both gonna hit free agency when teams are making it rain, not this offseason , both are under contract next year. These 2 are going to command much bigger contracts than many here expect.

If they show one more year of improvement, I expect they could both easily command 13 million or more.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are signed through next year.

But for now those look like Cuban offers

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

You're going to disappointed then. From this point on everyone's salaries are going to be inflated with GM's knowing a $90m salary cap is coming in a couple years.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I could easily see both players commanding 10+ mill when they hit the open market.

7. crash5179

Maybe you should educate yourself before making comments like this on the board. Maybe the OP looked around to see what other players like Jordan Hill are making. Maybe he took time to take a look at what the salary cap is now vs what it will be when TJ & DMo are free agents. Clearly you did neither of those things.

8. MONON

MONON Member

I think you're too high on both. Phoenix just extended the Morris twins(Clyde-they look alike). This season they're making 2.9M. When their contracts end after next season & the new CBA kicks in, I think something around 7m per for Dmo & 8m per for TJ would be expected.

9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

If their agents are worth ANYTHING they will not sign for less than 10. Everyone knows what the score is and unless they have been playing like crap (hint: they haven't) it is time to cash in. Either tjat or play out next season and cash in the year the cap balloons.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Both TJ and Donatas will hit free agency in the Summer of 2016.

Both will be restricted free agents.

Come July 1st to Oct 31st it is possible that both guys could be extended, but with the cash coming in the following Summer with the new salary cap from the TV deal, why either player would take an extension based on the current cap number is beyond me. Morey would have to blow them away with an above market value extension enough to convince either player to eliminate his free agency the following summer.

Given the optionality Morey has going into that Summer in 2016, there is reason to believe both will still be on the roster come next Summer and with the major cap increase that Summer, Morey will have the ability to take a gamble on them, and still play the market. I think he will definitely want to retain both guys at a fair rate, but will have backup options just in case an owner like Cuban goes crazy on the first day of free agency (unlikely because that type of owner is probably going after bigger names also).

Much like Parsons, both players can screw the Rockets if Morey has big plans (ALA Durant) that linger on for a week or two and both guys get a huge offer that forces Morey into tough choices. They also could except a qualifying offer the year before to become unrestricted the next Summer of 2017 but that seems highly unlikely.

With virtually every player looking to be a free agent that Summer, and mostly every team having cap space, there is reason to believe D-Mo and Jones will be able to sit for a few days in free agency to give Morey a chance at a high impact free agent and still be able to retain both guys. Both guys will probably NOT be max superstar players that most all teams will be gunning for on day 1.

Nobody can predict what is going to happen come July of 2016 but its going to be a crazy couple weeks where you are probably going to see dramatic changes to all NBA rosters. I think its worth it to stick with both players now, and next season. Try and make a trade this Summer to bring in a high impact player (hopefully a PG), and then worry about retaining them in free agency with a set roster where it really doesn't matter what offers they get. At least resign the best player of the two, and hope for both.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Per my last post I didn't give the OP my prediction of what all that means salary wise. I understand that's frustrating to read cause its a big non answer.

Well... the situation is, it depends on the market rate which isn't set yet for the Summer of 2016 when the new TV deal money hits and inflates the salary cap from 66 million to 80 to 90 million in one year.

Its impossible to predict fair market rates and comparables for players in the future. A current deal from last year (ex: Markieff Morris deal at 8 mil per) will probably have at least 15 to 20% increases in 2016. So player worth 8 mil per in 2014 is probably going to be worth 12 mil per in 2016.

If either Jones or D-Mo are signed for less than 12 mil per in their next contracts, assuming they hit restricted free agency in the Summer of 2016, then I will be shocked. But in the new CBA, that will probably be a fair number.

12. joxford

joxford Member

I could see Morey trying to lock up Jones to an extension this summer if he can get him for less than expected market rate in 2016. D-mo I think will make it to RFA without much resistance. something like 4/48 is probably what it would take from both sides to get a deal done. Terrence Jones only has ~1 full season starting and a season and a half of total games under his belt at this point. GM's usually like to see more than 120 games with 87 starts before they offer a huge extension, so 12 per would be the Rockets showinga huge amount of faith in Jones as a player imo. Jones knows the cap is gonna shoot up though, so if he wants to bet on himself, he won't take the extension. With the injuries he has sustained this season though (all freak accidents without large re-injury rates), I could see him playing it cautiously and locking up the money while it is there. He has already been so close to having basketball taken away from him so suddenly that he is probably hyper-aware of his career longevity at this point.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If he cannot lock them up . . I suspect he will look to trade them by next year's deadline
    Unless we making a run . . .

Rocket River

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you think the 6'9 PF that missed more than half the season with injuries will get a bigger contract than the 7 footer? That's one theory.

15. Mr. Clutch

He may very well, considering he's had a bigger impact when healthy.

Of course you could build your team based on height. That's one strategy.

16. crash5179

Both injuries are considered isolated incidents with no long term effects. Any player in the league has the same chance of experiencing the same injuries as Jones has of having repeat injuries of the ones he has had this season. The injuries themselves will have zero effect on Jones ability to maximize his next contract.

If you want to argue the injuries has slowed his development which could effect his market value then that is a possibility. But the reality is, IMO, that teams have seen enough to know he is very valuable as a Power Forward in the league. Having a good post season and then taking another step in his development next season should be more than enough to allow him to maximize his earning potential.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. If DMo had Jones' injuries and Jones was healthy all season the Rockets would be screwed. DMo isn't great at playing the 5, but no matter what some well intentioned people might tell you, size does matter.

The athletic 6'9 PF almost never makes as much as the 7 footer, it's just how it is. I'm not saying that Jones doesn't have potential to become a very solid athletic type PF, I'm just saying that his type of game is less rare and less valuable.

18. Mr. Clutch

Based on...what exactly? Gut feeling? They bring different things to the table but overall impact Jones has brought more this year.

Do you actually have a salary breakdown of big men in nba history or are you making the second part up? There are quite a few superstar players under 7 foot

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the fact that we'd be relying on a 6'9 or shorter player to man the center position full time. It has been rough at times relying on DMo at the 5 but relying on Joey Dorsey for 30 minutes a night (or till he fouls out) or relying on Smith or Jones to play there would be absolutely brutal. That one difference would be the difference in the Rockets being where they are now and them struggling to make the playoffs at all.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I very much doubt the Rockets will tie up 20 million in cap space going into the summer of 2016. It's far more likely Morey will take his chances on letting them become RFAs, and trying to resign them after he makes other moves.

If we gave them those extensions, we would have 70 million tied up in Howard, Harden, Dmo, Jones, Ariza, Johnson and Capela that summer.