1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15 Years Ago Today: Eddie Johnson's Buzzer Beater in 1997 Western Conference Finals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't believe how much time has passed... this was 15 years ago today. May 25, 1997 -- Eddie Johnson's 27-foot bomb at the buzzer in Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals against the Utah Jazz, evening the series.

He and Charles Barkley being interviewed immediately after:

This was a great day -- a lifelong friend of mine was in town and we were watching the game in my parents' basement in Boston. It was crazy in our house when he hit that shot.

For those too young to remember, some of us were here at ClutchFans for this -- it was called "Clutch City '97" then. This was the first season of the site (it started in August of 1996) and still is the most thrilling. Adding Charles Barkley to Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler was just an absolute circus. Granted they were at the tail-end of their primes, but those three were bigger than a LeBron-Wade-Bosh pairing -- all three were superstars that had led their teams to NBA Finals before as the chief dog. Superstars weren't afraid of Houston back then.

And when you have outstanding foundation pieces, role players desperately want to join your team to play off of them and get a shot at a ring. Eddie Johnson was a classic example -- he had been traded in February from the Pacers to the Nuggets, who waived him. He chose Houston. At nearly 38 years old, it didn't look like he had much left, but he found new life in Houston (shot 32% from distance with the Pacers but nearly 39% with the Rockets that season) and became a huge fan favorite.

He was despised for years in Utah. What Jason Terry has been to the Rockets the last 8 seasons is what Eddie Johnson had been to Utah throughout his career.

And one last thing -- in the last 15 years, this was the high point... it's been downhill ever since. The Rockets wouldn't win another playoff series for 12 years.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Still remember running around like a nut in my parents living room after that!

tmoney1101 likes this.
  3. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

I was only 7 years old when this happened but i remember it so vividly.
    nothing short of amazing

tmoney1101 likes this.
  4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This just gave me goosebumps. I was jumping up and down like a crazy kid that just drank 15 cokes when he hit that 3. Unbelievable how long ago it was and I still remember this like it was a few years ago.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  5. DJ

DJ Member

Wow, Clutch you're the man! This was probably one of my favorite times as a Rocket fan. I agree time has flown by. I remember I became a fan of the Rockets when we traded for Barkley and ever since I have followed this team ever year. Various things have changed over the year but there has been one constant: my admiration for the Houston Rockets

6. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

That right there. Boy. Those were the days.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Watching that again still gives me chill bumps.

As Rockets fans, we've got some great memories.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm more saddened at the reality that we're still having to genuflect about stuff that happened almost 2 decades due to the fact we haven't been relevant since then.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

somebody set him up with a perfect pass :cool:

10. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

i was 6 :( , man all the good things i have missed, hope we have some soon :rolleyes:

tmoney1101 likes this.
  11. MostLoyalFan

MostLoyalFan Member

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Great moment. I remember at watching at a friend's house at 12 years old and jumping up and damn near sprinting around the inside of their house in excitement.

Sadly, the most dramatic playoff moment we've had since then is Yao walking back through the tunnel after his foot gave way in that Lakers series.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Thanks for the kick in the balls.

:(

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I was three. :(

tmoney1101 likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

remember it like it was just yesterday. oh how i miss the old school rockets...

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Holy crap, I can't believe that moment was 15 years ago. Can't believe how quickly time has passed.

17. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Ketchup and Mustard in the blood...I was 16.

18. Eldudearrino

Eldudearrino Member

i remember the game before that eddie had 31 points and just went off and i was in attendance. any video from that game?

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! ...

Richie_Rich and tmoney1101 like this.
  20. HtownRocket34

HtownRocket34 Member

Thanks for the flashback Clutch! I was 15 then watching it at a friends place. We went nuts after he hit that shot!!