1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1993 Playoffs Game 7 vs Sonics] Bad Calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 16, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So there are many here who had this belief that we couldn't beat Seattle in the early 90s. Well the series were very close and the refs screwing the Rockets over isn't something that's new. We could have a much earlier Clutch City if it weren't for some bad calls. Whom ever made this video was really a die hard Rockets fan. These calls were made in the critical 4th and OT periods.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax9n6JJgq-E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax9n6JJgq-E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Call 3 was Donahey bad.

2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

For the first two calls you can argue those are human errors. But man, call 3 is inexcusable.

How sweet it would be if Hakeem was to face Jordan in the Finals. It would be a legendary series no matter what the result was.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Those calls weren't that bad, nothing compared to the Dallas series.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'll give you call one, but call two was atrocious. Hakeem was just standing there with his arms extended.

Despite all that BS, the Rockets still almost won. That's why I have no doubt the Rockets would've beat Seattle without the Barkley trade.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i could see missing call one, but not really. call 2 you could pretend hakeem went under him, but come on, that was as obvious a block as there is. but call 3? why even play the game if you're going to make that call?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

First call was too quick to be totally sure in live action. It was bad, but understandable. Second call was flat out bad without much excuse. The third call was very bad. Even if the hands were moving too quick, there was obviously no deflection of the ball whatsoever.

7. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Those were pretty bad, but the real problem playing Seattle was that stupid illegal D they always, ALWAYS ran, yet never got called for. But heaven forbid you run the zone against them. You'd get called in a heartbeat.

I don't know what their payroll was like during the early 90's, but the cost of the refs had to put them over the salary cap.

Plowman, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What are you talking about, Seattle easily swept the Rockets in 1996. If it wasn't for the Malone bearhug on Clyde the Rockets would have possibly faced the Bulls that year.

9. cdastros

cdastros Member

In Bad call #1, Kenny Smith passed on a open layup to make a bad pass. Bad call #2, Rockets can't get a rebound (deja vu anyone). Bad call #3 was a bad call.

10. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Agreed. Only the Kings Lakers Game 6 was worse.

As for this set of calls, #1 isn't that bad and is something we see quite often.

#2 was atrocious - He was jumping away from Olajuwon who was jumping straight up.

#3 explains why fans believe in conspiracy theories.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. djones

djones Member

The first call can't be excused. By rule, if none of the refs had a good look on it, it should have been a jump ball. Too often the refs feel a need to make a call and in my opinion guess about what it could have been. Just say we didn't see it clearly so jump it up. That still happens in the game today.

The early 90's Seattle battles really made me belive in the home court advantage. We played them well, but in the end the home court got them calls like this when the building was going crazy.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

All that matters is we got it done in 94 and backed it up in 95.

Rockets FTW.

13. Tmac-is-numero1

I don't like your signature.

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Not only that, but our franchise still exists!

SCOREBOARD

15. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

That is a nice sentiment, but it is extremely unlikely. The fact is that Seattle absolutely owned the Rockets after that series until they traded for Barkley. Everyone in the organization knew the team, as constructed, couldn't beat Seattle.

Seattle had our number. It happens. Too bad for them they choked when it mattered.

16. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Yikes, #3 was absolutely terrible.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

let the players decide the outcome, man these refs.. :mad: They're still doing this same crap now-post donaghy(1994-2007). I know this game was pre-donaghy, but he had to learn it from some of those refs. that called this game.
    [​IMG]

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they didn't 'own' the rockets when otis thorpe was our pf. they kept beating us consistently when horry was our pf. that's why we traded him and got chuck

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's the series that made me hate Ricky Pierce for a while. Man he killed us.

20. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I had a sense that this game was fixed when I saw it way back when, but now I am sure after what has come to light with NBA referees.

hakeem94 likes this.