1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hey look, Justice wrote another "Drayton sucks" article

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by kevwun, Jun 28, 2005.

1. kevwun

kevwun Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3243714

It must be great to have a job where you get to write nasty articles about whoever has pissed you off. It continues to amaze me that the Chronicle employs this clown. He could have earned a tiny bit of respect from me, if he would have admitted that he was completely wrong in the countless "trade Kent and rebuild" articles he wrote last year. Instead, he wrote another article that said that wasn't what he said. Houston desperately needs another paper.

As for this article, Stubbs strikes out entirely too much and has a big problem with breaking balls. He'll most likely be a high pick, but there is most definitely the potential for him to be a bust.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, it's Drayton's fault that MLB said he couldn't sign for that? Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

If Justice wasn't a joke before, he sure is now.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Not only Justice, but the entire Houston Chronicle sports department. Remember the June 1st Astros tombstone and how they said the year is already over for them?

Now the Astros are surging and the Chronicle is starting to jump on the bandwagon. What a bunch of r****ds.

After the Chronicle printed that tombstone trash the Astros players should have voted to not conduct any interviews with any Chronicle reporters for the rest of the year.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

It does? Why does it amaze you? He gets a reaction from his readers...thats his job. Whether you agree or disagree with his opinions is completely irrelevant.

According to you, you haven't liked anything he has written in a while but you keep reading....that pretty much sums it up as to why he is still employed.

5. kevwun

kevwun Member

I don't read him regularly and I don't subscribe to the Chronicle, largely because of their crappy sports section. So Richard and the other lackeys aren't doing their job.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I've said it beofre and I'll say it again.

Richard Justice speaks without thinking. He only talks, because he likes the sound of his own voice. He can't even stick his foot in his mouth properly.

Richard Justice needs to take a 1 way trip to Japan in a Cessna.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

On Hornfans, the article is getting the opposite reaction. Everyone is patting Justice on the back.

8. kevwun

kevwun Member

Us longhorns are still basking in the glow of a NC. Justice has been too busy pecking at the Astros lately and there's not much to complain about at UT right now. Also, if anyone were to bring up Stubbs' shortcoming on hornfans they'll most likely be warned or banned.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I can name much better players who failed to sign when they were drafted out of high school.... Mark Prior with the Yankees, and Roger Clemens with the Mets just to name two.

Hell... those guys have actually been huge stars in the MLB... lets wait till Stubbs sees an all-star game before we decide to go on the "man... the Astros really blew this one" road.

If he wants to talk about "missing the big one," he should write an article about how Hunsicker, Drayton, etc. thought Richard Hidalgo was going to be a much better player than Bobby Abreu. Oh wait... that article wouldn't be strictly about Drayton's cheap spending (since we overpayed Hidalgo)... thus he won't write it.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I read that article today, bleh....

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looks to me that there are 2 main points in the article.

1. Drayton gets involved too much. Just like when he decided to not pick up Kent's option and then tried to resign him for MORE than the option.

2. Pressure from the commissioner. Baseball finances are screwed up, so it looks like the commish is trying to pressure teams into being cheaper. Here it isn't Drayton's fault, but baseball's screwed up finances. "...When the Astros wanted to sign Stubbs for second-round money, the phone call came. Stubbs, McLane was told, should be paid $450,000. " That sucks if true.

12. msn

msn Member

So, the Chronicle is a tabloid? :D

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm guessing you all know how I feel about this! :)

His articles are a joke. He changes positions on the Astros weekly. I hope like hell the Astros come back and make a real race of it for the Wild Card so they can eat crap about their tombstone story. The same way they did last year when Justice was ready to trade off the entire team....before going to the NLCS, that is. What a clown.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kent's option was for $9,000,000. The Astros did NOT try to sign him for more than that.

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

reading through that article, i think the offer you posted above was the one made to Beltran at the time.

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Oh jeez :eek: I really gotta get some reading glasses :(

My bad.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I had to look because that would have made kent 44 at the end of the contract making 13.5 million. :eek:

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I though I read that they did try to resign him. It wasn't widely reported, more like a blurb somewhere.