1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America's Death Star

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MadMax, Jun 17, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Oh, I'm afraid the Death Star will be quite operational when your friends arrive. [​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050616/ap_on_sc/super_laser_1

Future Giant Laser Threatened by Cuts
    By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Jun 16, 7:41 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A giant laser being built to simulate the explosion of a hydrogen bomb is facing funding cuts in the Senate that supporters say could kill the project after $2.8 billion has been spent on it.

The device, which would focus 192 lasers at a single point to create a huge release of energy, is nearing completion at the Lawrence Livermore nuclear weapons lab in Northern California.

But a spending plan for energy and water projects approved Thursday by the Senate Appropriations Committee would shut off further construction money for the project, leaving it with just the four laser beams now in place.

Sen. Pete Domenici (news, bio, voting record), R-N.M., complained that ballooning costs on the project, called the National Ignition Facility, are a drain on other programs for maintaining the nation's nuclear arsenal. New Mexico is home to the nation's two other nuclear weapons labs, Sandia and Los Alamos.

"NIF construction must wait until additional resources can be found to balance the needs between support of the stockpile and the single-minded desire to build NIF," said Domenici, who chairs both the Energy Committee and the Appropriations Committee's energy and water subcommittee.

He contended that even with just four beams, the device remains the world's most powerful laser and "is capable of performing many useful experiments."

The project is now scheduled for completion in 2009. Supporters said it's as good as dead because without more lasers it cannot reach fusion ignition — the hoped-for energy release.

"The whole point is to achieve ignition. That's why it's called a National Ignition Facility," said Lawrence Livermore spokesman Bob Hirschfeld.

Achieving fusion ignition would allow nuclear weapons scientists to study the performance and readiness of the country's aging nuclear arsenal without actually detonating a nuclear device.

President Bush's 2006 budget proposal requested $141 million for NIF construction. The House agreed to that figure but the Senate Appropriations Committee eliminated it entirely Thursday, leaving a few funds for other program elements.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., said she hopes to get some of the money restored when House and Senate negotiators meet later in the year put together the final bill for sending to Bush.

"The NIF is almost there. They've done all the experiments, they're almost there. It would be a total waste" to stop the program now, Feinstein said.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Thats no moon .......................

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I am going to build a light saber the Empire must be stopped. :)

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I know who can stop them:

[​IMG]

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I find your lack of faith disturbing Grand Muff Feinstein... :p

While I am definitely liberal, she does beg to be made fun off although she is right on this issue. She reminds of the Dean in PCU

7. MadMax

or..translation....

"the research facility is in my home state...so keep it, even though I hate the idea all the way around."

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

One thing's for sure, we're all gonna be a lot thinner.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Isn't this America's Death Star?

[​IMG]

I mean....he causes instant death to wanna-be stars, right?

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Let's see what is more important to life on this planet?

1. Go To Mars
    2. Develop fusion energy, possibly bringing prosperity to all mankind and putting an end to manmade global warming.

Well they do have some nice red rocks on Mars.

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

GWB's reasoning:

I hear they've got some nice red rocks up there on that planet Mars. We better get up there soon and open up a quarry, you know that Texas pink granite is going to run out someday because its not a renewable resource like oil.

13. langal

langal Contributing Member

sounds like a Monty Burns type of project.

14. Fatty FatBastard

Don't hate on my boy! We love him!

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

At the rate this planet is going we might be looking to move sooner or later.

16. MadMax