1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the Greatest NBA Player Ever?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dharocks, Jun 6, 2005.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I thought this might be a fun topic to debate. Listed below are the nine players that, IMO, are generally considered to be the greatest NBA players of all time (notice I said NBA players, which would [at least in my mind] rule out Sabonis, Oscar Schmidt, etc). So who would you consider to be the greatest player ever? Maybe someone who's not on this list? Who? And if it is someone on this list, why?

I'd go with Kareem, personally.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

6 Championship Rings
    3 NCAA Titles
    6 MVP Awards
    Rookie of the Year Award
    10 All-NBA First Teams
    5 All-NBA Second Teams
    11 All-Defensive Teams

Elgin Baylor

0 Championship Rings
    10 All-NBA First Teams

Larry Bird

3 Championship Rings
    3 MVP Awards
    Rookie of the Year Award
    9 All-NBA First Teams
    1 All-NBA Second Team
    3 All-Defensive Teams

Wilt Chamberlain

2 Championship Rings
    4 MVP Awards
    Rookie of the Year Award
    7 All-NBA First Teams
    3 All-NBA Second Team
    2 All-Defensive Teams

Magic Johnson

5 Championship Rings
    1 NCAA Title
    3 MVP Awards
    9 All-NBA First Teams
    1 All-NBA Second Team

Michael Jordan

6 Championship Rings
    1 NCAA Title
    5 MVP Awards
    10 All-NBA First Teams
    1 All-NBA Second Team
    9 All-Defensive Teams

Oscar Robertson

1 Championship Ring
    1 MVP Award
    9 All-NBA First Teams
    3 All-NBA Second Teams

Bill Russell

11 Championship Rings
    5 MVP Awards
    3 All-NBA First Teams
    8 All-NBA Second Teams
    1 All-Defensive Team

Jerry West

2 Championship Rings
    10 All-NBA First Teams
    2 All-NBA Second Teams
    5 All-Defensive Teams

EDIT: URGHGHG I forgot to add the poll... Oh well.

2. jlwee

jlwee Member

Rox fans will select Hakeem!
    Bulls fans will say MJ is the Greatest!
    fakers fans will think KOBE is the best!
    Boston fans will pick Larry Legend!!!
    Spurs fans will add Duncan to the list if Spurs won the chmapionship this season......

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bill Russell. The biggest winner of all time. 11 championships out of 13 seasons. One as a coach. Two NCAA championships. Greatest defensive player of all time.

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

You gotta split it in two categories: Big man, and Backcourt player

I say Kareem and MJ.

Russell and Wilt will never get that title because they played in an era where no one played defense and they were giants among physically-challenged people.

The NBA Kareem/Hakeem/Shaq played in was radically different (and light years better, at least defensively) than the era of Russell and Wilt.

So among those three centers, I would definitely take Kareem.

Among Guards/S.Forwards, it ain't even close: MJ.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Gotta to go with Jordan....the guy was came back from retirement to win 3 more titles.

What's the most remarkable thing is that when people talk about the greats, the forget Jordan was probably the shortest of them.

6. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

That is why he is the greatest. He dominated like Wilt but he did at only 6'6 in an era where there were monsters like Hakeem under the basket.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Just a sidenote, but am I the only one that thinks that Jordan retiring in '93 had less to do with him needing to refocus, and more to do with Jordan waiting for the gambling scandal surrounding him to blow over?

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

even though i hate him, i have to pick jordan. he just never failed to step up in a big game it seemed. and was so clutch at the end of games. not as God-like as people think as his teams did have talent, but i have to put him on top.

and hakeem is top 9 all time, no question about it in my mind. i don't see how i'd pick any perimeter player except jordan over him and he certainly isn't behind 8 bigs.

elgin baylor cannot possibly be on the list ahead of hakeem and west doesn't belong above him either, imo. baylor should also be docked points for his time as gm of the clippers.

and russell couldn't carry jordan's jock. he doesn't belong with the other 4 big centers either, imo.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Jordan. He ain't the GOAT for nothing

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Magic Johnson.

Imagine being good enough that in your early 20s you become "The Man" on a team with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on it.

11. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Jordan no doubt.

6'6'' and took over the game with his finess and skill. Not because he had a 7'ft frame, 300 lbs that took an advantage of other players but with his skills and talent and heart. No doubt he is the greatest player to ever played the game.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wilt.

Give me a break, it's not even close.

Then Jordan...
    Then Magic...

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He dominated like Wilt? lol. Look at Wilt's dominating numbers and tell me again how Jordan "dominated like Wilt". Wilt was a 7-foot 275 lbs beast that led the league in assists.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Unanswerable. WiltRussOscar, Michael, Magic. That is the pantheon.

Kareem, Hakeem, Logo the next level, and a high one.

15. francis 4 prez

uhhh, where does being the best athlete in the game factor in here? he was like a generation ahead on athleticism and it took until lebron (maybe kobe and tmac and somewhat clyde) to get a perimeter player w/ his height, strength, athleticism combo. the fact no one who guarded him could hope to stay in front of him or jump as high as him is just as important as being 7 ft, 300 lb. he dominated physically just like all the greats except bird and somewhat magic, not with finesse and skill. just like hakeem, just like shaq, just like wilt, and to lesser degrees just like kobe and tmac dominate.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'll stick with my choice but I think Jordan really had the benefit of being "Jordan" because he got away with more things than anyone else. How many times did he ever foul out of a game? or even got 5 fouls? The man was great, no doubt but he got away things.

17. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

If you go by each era and the impact each player made, then Wilt is by far the Greatest Player Ever.

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. Russell
    2. Wilt
    3a. Jordan
    3b. Kareem

You could flip Jordan and Kareem if you want.

19. francis 4 prez

i remember he fouled out of a game with washington and they said the last time it had happened was 1991. so he fouled out about once a decade.

of course wilt never fouled out of a game, but that's probably b/c no one played defense and he was so much bigger than everyone he didn't really need to foul to be effective (and he wasn't a bulldozer like shaq, at least any time i see tape of him play, so he didn't have the offensive fouls pile up).

and i can't put wilt ahead of jordan w/ only 2 titles, one when he was older and less mobile and more of a passer than dominating scorer, and i can't put russell ahead of jordan w/ no offensive game to speak of.

magic doing what he did as a 20 year old rookie is definitely amazing and so was the rest of his career but i don't even think magic would put himself ahead of jordan.

and i for some reason wasn't thinking about magic, but i could put him ahead of hakeem as a perimeter player. if i do, it's just barely. bird doesn't get to go ahead of hakeem. hakeem was just so much better than either at defense (and most everyone else in nba history). if hakeem had james worthy and a kareem-quality shooting guard (whatever that is) for the prime of his career, could he have won 5 titles? maybe, maybe no but i think it would be close.

jordan, magic, hakeem, wilt, shaq, kareem, bird is my all-time 7 w/ jordan #1 and bird probably #7.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Although I don't understand how Elgin Baylor is one of the 9 instead of Hakeem or even Shaq, but that is a debate for another time.

Gotta go with Jordan followed closely by Magic.