1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush Gets Progressive?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, May 16, 2005.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Burried in the today's news is this little noticed piece. Bush is calling for more alternative energy to reduce US dependence on foreign oil. Regardless of his motives (I know some eyes are rolling now), this is good for US, and good for mankind. Props to Dubya!

Bush Touts Energy Alternatives
    (CBS/AP) Calling the price of foreign oil a foreign tax on the American dream, President Bush spoke Monday of the importance of alternative fuels while visiting a refinery that produces biodiesel from soybeans, reports CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.

"Our dependence on foreign oil is like a foreign tax on the American dream, and that tax is growing every year," Mr. Bush said at the Virginia BioDiesel Refinery.

The visit to this plant 96 miles from the White House was another effort by Mr. Bush to step up pressure on the Senate to follow the lead of the House and pass his national energy plan, which provides tax breaks for those using alternative fuels.

Biodiesel is cleaner burning and American-made, but carries a higher price tag than regular diesel fuel. It is often blended with conventional transportation fuels as an extender.

#1 wnes, May 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I am very pleased to read this news myself. I am a supporter of reducing our dependence on foreign oil. This is a step in the right direction.

by the way - it's hardly a "progressive-only" stance.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Bush's vision of alternative energy?

Occupy Iran for their oil!

He's just parroting Turd Blossom's reaction to the latest polls.

4. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

How much of Iraq's oil are we getting anyway? It sure does not seem to help curb the inflated gas prices.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How can they get the oil out when the pipe is constantly being cut? They thought everyone in Iraq would welcome us, oh well.

6. ricky-retardo

Well then if we just properly secure the oil pipeline, we will not need Iran's.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How do we secure the pipeline? By sending in another 50k reserves?

8. ricky-retardo

I think we have enough troops over there as it is but even if the pipeline is secured the oil is not going our way. I just think the war for oil line is an ignorant one. The war may have been fought for many different reasons but oil was not one of them. If that was the case I could have suggested a few more attractive countries to invade

9. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I think that saying that oil was not one of many reasons for the war is innaccurate. It's clear that the U.S. has a vested national security/economic interest in a stable Middle East and the free flow of oil is part of that interest.

Having said that, I think it's just conspiracy thinking when people say that Bush and his secret cronies are just trying to get rich invading countries to take their oil. Look at Kuwait. Tons of people said that we fought the first Iraq war just to get cheap oil from Kuwait but we don't. We do not get any special favors from Kuwait with regard to oil.

Also, Saddam aparently offered the U.S. very good prices with regard to oil if we didn't kick him out of Kuwait. Obviously we didn't take him up on his offer. If these wars were just about oil and making Bush's friends rich don't you think there would be some evidence of it?

But to say that oil plays no part is incorrect also since our entire economy and the economies of most of the world run on it. Why do you think France and Russia were making so many under-the-table deals with Saddam to get oil and working so hard via the U.N. to keep the U.S. from invading? Becuase it wasn't in their countries oil interests to have the U.S. rock the Iraqi boat.

10. ricky-retardo

I should of said oil was not the primary reason. As we invaded Iraq for the oil.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I agree with you completely. Actually I have some inside information regarding the Iraq war. Initially the architects of the war wanted to dub it Operation Iraqi Liberation. Later someone in the administration realized this acronym was going to cause a great deal of misunderstanding about the mission of the war. After they prayed for wisdom, they got a new name, Operation Iraqi Freedom. Everybody was rejoiced.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I know I was rejoiced.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I remember that day well, as should everyone else. The entire country stood still... people standing around with what Time Magazine described as, "...individuals and groups, standing around in parking lots, malls, office buildings, construction sites, universities... with one thing in common, a dull look in their eyes. When reporters approached all these Americans, Time found it fascinating that they all replied, without exception, "I am rejoiced." Asked by this reporter what it was they were rejoicing about, they all replied with the same phrase, "Bush. Only a name, but I like it."

I said that phrase myself, but I recall that I didn't refer to the President. And I rejoiced, but not about Iraq or oil. Love. I rejoiced about love, and the pleasures of the female anatomy. And that, friends, makes at least as much sense as calling Bush progressive about anything. Indeed, even more sense than usual.

Keep D&D Civil!!
    And Find Pleasure Where You Can!

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The war's not meant to keep prices low, it's meant to keep profits high.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Such as Russia, Canada or Mexico.