1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy just doesn't get it (lack of adjustments)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Absolut_RoxFan, May 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Absolut_RoxFan

Absolut_RoxFan Contributing Member

Van Gundy Just doesn't get it

We keep double teaming off the screens, leaving one man open. Then we rotate to adjust to the open man after the pass, leaving someone else open. If this was another team with crappy shooters on the bench, it would work.

Problem: Dallas has a team and bench LOADED with good shooters so if they make their shots, we're f****.

Now if this happened once or twice and we adjusted, that's fine. Now we're down like 22 points and he keeps running the same defense and refuses to adjust. If we lose tonight because he's too stubborn or stupid to adapt, I'm going to strangle him personally. @~!#%!#@%$#@!$#@!$@ [venting frustration]

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

the funny thing is, JVG would leave Jordan in single coverage when he was coachnig the Knicks

3. twoniner

twoniner Contributing Member

to double Dampier.

4. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

JVG and the In-Game Adjustments

Throughout the whole series, the one thing that stands out in my mind is the inability for van gundy to make in game adjustments. We just saw Yao guard a 6-1 PG. I don't care if you want to have the advantage on the other end, you don't ask your 7-6 center to guard the PG. Its just a joke. Other adjustments that i think JVG didn't take into account:

1) Constantly staying Wesley with Stackhouse. Stackhouse is 6-6 and Wesley is 6-1. All Stackhouse does is post-up and does a turn around jump shot with pretty much no pressure. I'm sorry but that's stackhouse's bread and butter. He made his career off of those turn around jump shots.

2) Leaving McGrady to guard Dirk too much. It's okay in my eyes if he left him guarding Dirk on crucial situations, but the whole game drains Mcgrady's stamina and it showed in a couple of 4th quarters. And if you really look at it, Dirk wasn't the impact player of this series. It was Jason Terry.

3) The courage to tell the team to run that Pick and Roll to death. If i was JVG, I would yell in the players faces to run that Pick and Roll to death. It's unstoppable. Every time down the floor they should run that PnR until Dallas makes the adjustments. I just don't understand why we would run it 2-3 plays, get buckets from them, then watch Mike James go 1 on 3.

Lastly, I wanna say that i'm damn PROUD of this team. From day one of this series, we were the under dog. NOBODY said we could win this series and we went out and took the first 2 games. We lost to a more talented team and the time just came where the talent has caught up with us. This team is far from complete and the future is really bright. I'm just sad that I have to watch the next 3 or 4 weeks of basketball without my rockets in it. It was a great season and we learned a lot from our 2 superstars: the best is yet to come!

Go Rockets!

5. yingtchen

yingtchen Member

Absolutely agree! Yao is abused every single time. Just let Yao stay in the paint.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

JVG needs to have Deke knock the **** out of a ref and then stand over him and say "now that's a foul, b****!"

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

you people are sad...after a great season and a great series, we have one bad loss and now all of a sudden jvg is a terrible coach.
    get a grip, the rockets are going to be contenders next season.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

We should've been playing Phoenix. REFS robbed us. :(

9. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

lmao. i'm admit trying to say that to myself in a low cookie monster-type voice.

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I don't blame JVG. We lost this series because we choked away games 3 & 4. After that, the Mavs lost the jitters and their superior talent prevailed. One of the reasons our defense slipped the last 3 games was because of exhaustion. Today, it was obvious we were a step slow the whole game.

JVG molded this team into a mean machine and we had a couple of really good win streaks. But this just wasn't our year. We need a true point guard who can make people better, another shooter and depth (if not another starter) at the PF position.

It was a fun year and it's gonna be fun looking forward to next year. I like T-Mac, Yao & JVG as our cornerstones for the next several years.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

To me, JVG is a genius to keep this series so close with really two offsenive and probably 3 defensive players. Dallas is more balance.

12. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Word. This is what pissed dallas off so much. Talentwise the series was theirs. It should have been 4-1 or 4-2.

I'm proud we left it all on the floor.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

*puts ear to the ground* do y'all hear that? is it coming back? slowly but surely i think the "FIRE JVG" threads are steamrolling back!:rolleyes:

We lost this game because of poor defense and the inability to get good shots and the inability to make shots. Sure the foul calling was a little bit suspect but it wasn't detrimental. Steve Javie did leave Finley and co open on the perimeter.

No matter how well a gameplan is drawn up by the coach, it's up to the players to execute them.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i meant didn't not did.

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Seriously, Houston didn't even have a power forward!!!!!!!

Our best point guard was Mike James. We had a two-headed monster of a shooting guard in Wesley-Barry.

If it wasn't for Gundy, T-mac would never have become who he is now...Yao would haven't grown nearly as much. Don't knock Gundy, just let it go, we did the best we could with the team we had....we just have to get better.

16. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i've been as harse as anyone on here or on the planet on JVG and his coaching but tonight it was pretty simple as far as coaching goes. houston just didn't have the speed and athleticism to match up. JVG made a lot offensive philosphy changes during the season and i'm glad he did. our offense improve tremendously but dawson in the offseason is the one who has all the pressure on him. we have to add speed and athleticism to our team in the backcourt and add a PF who can defend and rebound. JVG isn't to blame and i hope all of ya'll realize that. we just didn't have the personel to match up and that's not on the coach.

17. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

We played like crap and they didn't miss anything. They wanted to win the game, we wanted to gain respect. They got what they wanted and we got nothing. :(

18. edc

edc Contributing Member

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a team that loses game 7 by forty."

Van Gundy came out with a decent game plan, but never made the countermove to the Mavericks going small.

19. Absolut_RoxFan

Absolut_RoxFan Contributing Member

Couldn't have said it better. Real champions know how to adjust. Adapt to your changing environment in order to win. Oldest rule in the book. DUH.

20. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

He tried everything...what adjustment could he have made. The chess game ended - we didn't have the right pieces.