1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spoof] Joey Crawford has criticized Mark Cuban

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dnjndmrc5, May 5, 2005.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

Joey Crawford has criticized Mark Cuban.

This story is old, but wanted to post anyways since an official is making fun of Cuban..

http://www.sportsgoons.com/Vol1_Iss8/ref_cuban.htm

NBA Referee Fined for Criticizing Maverick's Cuban
    Outspoken veteran NBA referee Joey Crawford has been hit with a $200,000 fine for comments he made about Mavericks owner Mark Cuban after Dallas’ 110-93 win over the L.A. Lakers last Friday, three NBA sources told The Dallas Morning News.

Speaking to the press after the game, Crawford first criticized the Maverick’s owner’s appearance.

“Would it kill him to comb his hair once he rolled out of bed in the morning, or at the very least, before the games? And how about using some gel, or at least a little pomade? Christ. A bottle of L’Oreal Studio Line Mega Gel Is $3.99 at Walgreen’s. Oh, and by the way Mark, college called, it wants its ripped jeans and t-shirts with funny sayings back.”

He then openly questioned Cuban’s financial portfolio.

“You’d think a guy worth $1.6 billion would be a little more intelligent when it came to his finances,” said Crawford. “He’s got 25% of his investments in the Putnam International Equity Fund and another 35% in the Davis New York Venture Fund. Oooooooooooh, way to take a risk, Mark. That kind of moderate level of investing would be perfect if you had 10 years left to live. You might as well just open a savings account at Wells Fargo, bucko”

Crawford then lambasted Cuban’s choice of education.

“Indiana University? Are you kidding, me? My sister graduated from Indiana and she has two learning disabilities. Where do you display the MBNA you received from their business school? Oh, that’s right, you didn’t graduate with one. Nice bachelor degree, buddy. Do yourself a favor and take that with you when you’re interviewing at Perkins.”

The referee finished his controversial interview by making fun of Cuban’s wife.

“A hot piece of ass like that should have better highlights. Honestly, you can see her roots. I guess that’s what you get for sending her to Great Clips for a $35 dye job, huh Mark? Oh, and her cooking skills are ****. Who serves fettuccini with a red sauce? Not my wife Dolores, I’ll tell you that much.” “By the way Mark, college called. It wants its ripped jeans and t-shirts with funny sayings back."

Though this marks the third time this year that Crawford has been fined by the NBA for negative public comments about team owners, Crawford isn’t playing nice.

"Nice bachelor degree, buddy. Do yourself a favor and take that with you when you're interviewing at Perkins." "I don't care if I get fined," Crawford told the press after the game. “It’s no secret that David Stern wants me to shut up, but they can fine me until I’m bouncing checks; I’m not going to keep quiet just for the sake of playing by the rules. Call me eccentric, call me brash, call me what you want. But if everyone else was as outspoken as me, the league would be a lot better off.”

Crawford added, “If everything we say is going to be scrutinized word by word, with each word having its own independent meaning regardless of context, we all are in trouble.”

As is customary, Crawford immediately promised to match the fine with an equal contribution to charity.

2. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

oh and by the way we are 1-0 in the playoffs this year when Joey Crawford officiates our game. That was Game 1

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

That website is a spoof.

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Um...and in what context would those comments be appropriate? A roast?

5. jmftexas

jmftexas Member

$200,000 fine for a ref? Do they even make that much?

6. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

They "make" much more than $200,000. Why in the hell do you think Dallas is getting all these calls?????

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

$200 grands for a fine?!! How much do refs make anyways? I thought it wasn't even $100 grands each!:eek:

Something is wrong with this article.

8. Greg M

Greg M Member

Payoffs.

9. tigermission1

It sure as hell seem so!

Stern said they pay $14 million total on the refreeing system every year. The refs don't even make $100 grands for a salary.

And Crawford didn't stop and make those comments about Cuban's wife, he doesn't even know her! He wouldn't say stuff like that.

This article is definetly a FAKE!:rolleyes:

10. tigermission1