1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Benson...An option at PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by beyao, Dec 13, 2004.

1. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Straight up, I'd like to see this guy in a Rox uni NOW (ya hear CD?)! We have nothing to lose AND he is available yesterday.

Overlooked by the NBA, this guy is playing in China right now putting up Yao-esque numbers. He dropped 50 a couple games ago, and more importantly, this guy is a beast on the boards and on defense...he plays with a passion of someone who's been locked up in a cage for the past 10 years...oh wait, he has been.

Before you go and say that anyone can put up big numbers in China, keep in mind that several big men on the fringe of the NBA (e.g., Alton Ford) are playing there and not putting up even close to the numbers that this guy is right now. In fact, I believe the last guy to put up the numbers Benson is was a guy named Ming Yao.

Scouting report...
    Outlook:
    Lee possess superior athletic ability, runs the floor exceptionally well, has an outstanding vertical jump. Good shooter, good defender, exceptional rebounder. He is capable of playing the 3/4/5. Has the talent to play at any level including NBA.

2. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

this is the 10th topic about a pf we need

we should have a pf section:cool:

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's always a catch...
    What's the catch?...c'mon drug problems, spousal abuse...surprise me.

4. beyao

I think this guy deserves his own thread mainly because he's the only player mentioned that is actually available right now...and we wouldn't have to give up anyone for him.;)

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The catch is that Lee Benson is the guy who is about 30 years old because he spent 8 years in prison.

That said, there may not be anything wrong with him now.

http://www.usbasket.com/USAplayer.asp?PlayerID=49720

He seems to put up "monster" or very good stats in every league. He was with the Toronto Rapters summer league team in 2003 apparently...I wonder how he did there and why he didn't stick.

6. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

He just had a 56-21 game in the CBA. :eek: :eek: :eek: That is some kind of number Yao couldn't put up when he was there. He can shoot 3s too.

BTW, a lot of guys don't stick with a team. Just take a look at our honorable JJ. It doesn't necessarily mean he is bad.

It is reported that HBO is working on a documentary on his story. :D

7. beyao

I think he's improved since that summer...remember even though he was like 28 at the time, he was still a "rookie"...his game is probably just starting to take shape right now. So he's a "young" 30 and prolly has at least 3-5 very good years left in him.

8. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

We won't get him...he never played for the knicks:) :)

9. clove

clove Contributing Member

I've watched his high light film on his 56 pt game, and a little bit of his other games. He looked amazing! However, it was a high light film.

A very quick leaper, freakishly athletic, runs like a small forward, blocks shots. He even made a couple of 3s. I have no idea why he's not playing here. Maybe there is some really big flaws to his game that doesn't show in high light films.

Just his athletic ability alone warrants a look by CD. We just need a rebounder/shotblocker who could finish when near the basket. From the high light film, that's what he is. He also looked to be an amazing shooter, but that could be because he was just hot 1 game. However, the way he jumps and blocks is no coincidence. I'm sure he'll play for cheap.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well I can say with all honesty, I have never ever heard of this guy. That said, if he's an NBA caliber PF that NOBODY seems to be noticing that means there's either: A) a really good reason why nobody wants him, or B) not a really good reason why nobody wants him ==> he hasn't been "discovered" yet.

Ultimately, at this point it couldn't hurt to give the guy a look.

11. wireonfire

12. Man

Man Contributing Member

Is there anyone who knows Yao or JVG or Tmac or CD who can recommend him? :p

Why was he in prison?

13. wireonfire

It is said he was set up by a friend. He took avenge and shot the guy and it got him 8 years in prison.

He just had 3 50+ games in a row. A first in the CBA, including Yao.

He can't be a very bad guy, otherwise HBO won't be doing the story about him.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sounds like the type of guy the Mavs or Spurs would add to their roster since they actually have SCOUTS that do something.

15. rich_argh

rich_argh Member

i misread that and thought it said he shot the guy 8 times:eek: :eek:

16. tim562

We should call Sportsradio 610 and tell JVG himself!!!! I heard them say his show was going to be in the morning this week.

17. baller4life315

Amen.:mad:

18. wireonfire

From nbadraft.net

He was in the 02 draft, ie, the one w/ Yao, Amare, Gooden, Boozer and Nene.

#18 wireonfire, Dec 13, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  19. baller4life315

LET'S GET THIS GUY BEFORE THE JAILBLAZERS FIND OUT HE WENT TO PRISON AND SIGN HIM!!!

20. tim562

Quote:
    Lee Benson Jr. (Brown Mackie JC) - What a story this guy is. After spending nearly a decade in prison he has changed his life around and made himself into an NBA prospect. Benson has a ton of talent and has definite first round abilities. His checkered past will probably scare away most if not all teams from giving this guy a guaranteed contract but something tells me he has a legit future. No weaknesses at this point, he’s a very polished offensive player who can score virtually any way, he’s an outstanding rebounder and is a pretty good ball-handler as well. Sure he’s older at 28, but with all of the time he lost to incarceration, it’s as if he’s 20. He has as much potential as any frontcourt player in this draft.

CD, JVG, Rockets organization, are you reading this!!!!!!!