1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

number of basketballs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yipengzhao, Aug 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

i was asked this case question in an interview today... estimate the number of basketballs sold in the US per year...

i made a couple of assumptions and came up with like 50 mil... sounds reasonable but i doubt it's right.

just curious... what's the actual number? can some of you google whizzes help? i can't find it.

2. 12345

12345 Member

What job are you trying to get? :D

3. yipengzhao

i'll tell you if you tell me that basketball question. :D

actually... strategy consulting mostly.

but... i really AM curious as to the question. say that there are 100 million players (of all levels of seriousness) in the US (probably a bit high)... and there's two balls per basketball player, and each ball is replaced ever other year... then there can't be more than 100 mil sold a year right? but i said 50 and the interviewer said it was low... but usually for these back of the envelope things if you are within a order of magnitude then it's okay... hm... maybe i'll think about it some more.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I used to conduct interviews such as this for strategy consulting jobs. I never had an f'ing clue what the right answer was, if that makes you feel any better. :D

5. yipengzhao

i kind of figured that...

otherwise how can they come up with specific ones for each candidate.

you were a... financial analyst right?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If I were guessing I would say between 30 and 50 million; institutional sales is the hard one to figure out.

If I was googling the only thing I found was that the Spalding infusion ball exceeded its targets by over 1m, leading me to guesstimate it sold somewhere btw 5-10 m or so, which is about on par with that.

NPD keeps track of all that crap I'm pretty sure.

7. yipengzhao

yeah that's what i said...

oh well...

anyway, must decrease number of posts and increase number of job applications... :p

8. rudager

rudager Member

9. SamFisher

All right, well loser me just looked up Spalding's annual report, and their whole sporting goods division, which I assume includes basketballs, and they were selling between 50-100m $ in revenue per year; in the event that all those sales were basketballs, (which they weren't) at 25 bucks a ball wholesale that is 4 million balls a year in a good year. I imagine spalding has a large share of the market so I would put the yearly sales number closer to 10m, maybe not more than 15.

10. SamFisher

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

wow, i guessed 11 million when i first read the question. looks like i would've stole your job yipengzhao.

12. yipengzhao

LOL...

well i think the number i came up with at the time was like 30 mil... and then he wanted me to go higher. so obviously to show that i'm coachable i revised it to 50 mil.

but yes no doubt i am glad you did not steal my job.