1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron grows 2 inches?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mirror_image, Jul 28, 2004.

1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/basketball/2004-07-27-james-impressive_x.htm

James makes Olympic impressions
    By David DuPree, USA TODAY
    JACKSONVILLE ¡X LeBron James may be the youngest player on the U.S. Olympic basketball team, but you can hardly tell by looking at him or by watching him play.

LeBron James fields questions from the media after morning practice for the USA Basketball Olympic men's team.
    By Bob Self, Florida Times-Union via AP

Make no mistake, he belongs here.

"The first thing that hit me about him is the guy is huge," says assistant Olympic coach Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs. "I was shocked. He's thick and he's tall. He's just so much bigger than I thought he was."

Listed in the USA Basketball media guide at 6-8, 240, James looks about 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier and has a nearly perfect basketball build.

After only two days of practice in preparation for next month's Olympics, James has been just as impressive with his knowledge of the game and understanding of what the coaches are trying to teach as he has been with his physical skills. James, who will be 19 years and seven months old when the Games open Aug. 13, is the youngest U.S. male basketball player to participate since Spencer Haywood in 1968 (19 years, five months).

"He really understands the game," Popovich adds. "Some guys get it and some guys don't. This guy knows what's going on ¡X spatial relationships on the court, where the ball should go, what's going on, what position to be in on the court to make a steal. He really understands how to play the game."

James is so good, in fact, that he doesn't even have a position.

"I just want him to play," says head coach Larry Brown. "He already knows how to run every position."

As the NBA rookie of the year last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers, James started out playing point guard and then moved to shooting guard and played some at small forward, as well. His size and style of play has Brown thinking of using him at any of four positions other than center.

"He's going to play a lot of positions because we're not really deep in terms of size or in terms of true guards," Brown says. "The fact that he is versatile and smart, he'll have to play a lot of positions."

That's fine with James. "I'm here to do whatever Coach wants me to do and play whatever position he needs me to play," James says. "It doesn't matter to me if I have the ball or I don't have the ball. I'm just excited to be playing on this team."

Teaching is Brown's strong suit and in James, he has the ideal student.

"He comes to every practice wanting to learn and wanting to get better," Brown says. "He is so competitive, but he also has that enthusiasm where he's excited every practice and he's anxious to get better. Last year playing against him, I couldn't believe how quickly he adjusted, how respectful of the game and of his teammates he was. I had a high regard coming in, but being around him ... he's really special."

Says James: "I'm excited with the players we have on this team. People want to learn and go out and compete. It's amazing we came together so quickly."

James has had more than a little influence in that area.

Duncan, Okafor sit:

Tim Duncan missed practice Tuesday morning with an upset stomach and Emeka Okafor sprained his right ankle during practice.

Okafor landed awkwardly and turned his ankle during a drill. He was taken for precautionary X-rays, which were negative. "Yeah, I worry, but hopefully it's not real bad," Brown said. "If it is, we've got to go to the (selection) pool."

Duncan, who felt ill and had a slight fever, skipped the morning session but practiced in the afternoon.

If Lebron really is 6'10" tall, he will be the tallest PG in NBA history.

2. pacertom

pacertom Member

With Snow and McInnis in Cleveland, he won't play PG at all.

Scary though to think of him getting bigger

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

DAMN! thats incredible!

4. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Darn, wonder if he will ever grow to 7-0 like KG? He is just 19 years old!

5. Just B

Just B Member

Well this solves our SF problem!

PG- Snow/McInnis
    SG- Wagner
    SF- LeBron
    PF- Gooden
    C- Z

Good lineup there!

6. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I am a real hatter of everyone not on the rockets, but he was one of the few that I have respect for...T-mac was also in that!!

7. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

6'10" and 250 lbs??

Good Lord. That's PF size and strength coupled with his ability to run and handle the ball like a guard. He'll be an unbelievable player.

8. dischead

dischead Member

Magic Johnson?

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think Magic was 6' 8''

10. mirror_image

I hope Lebron will not grow taller than Yao.:D

11. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The Magic Johnson comparison is by no means a stretch as far his versatility and ability to play any position. I'd say Lebron has the potential to be a more explosive scorer than Magic though.

Of course he still has a ways to go before getting to that level. It's just a matter of time IMHO.

12. mirror_image

[​IMG]

In this pic, Lebron looks shorter than Odom though they are not standing exactly to each other. So he is still 6'8", right?

13. munco

munco Member

this is scary news for the rest of the league if he did grow 2 more inches. lord.

14. Panda

Panda Member

Scarier if he grew in the neck.

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Lebron would be 6'10" if he has really grown 2 inches. Odom is listed at 6'10" too. I know Odom is standing closer to the camera. But still he looks much longer than Lebron so it's hard to believe that Lebron is 6'10" also.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it's not like they measured him. someone is just reporting he looks 2 inches taller which really doesn't mean anything unless he's around him alot. it's probable that he grew but i doubt he's 6'10".

18. Asian Sensation

Is it just me or does Odom have really big feet. Gosh that sounded bad but seriously.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Those stick legs don't help out the clown feet on Odom.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lebron grow. I believe Hedo grew from 6'8" to 6'10" just last year.

Remember these are KIDS and they are still in growth spurts when they joined the NBA.

Lebron at 6'10" and 250lbs really is scary. He can pretty much play ever position at that height and weight, much like Magic circa 1980.

Clearly in Cleveland they are looking to use Lebron more at the 2/3 position. And with Snow and McInnis probably a lot at the 3. At least until Luke Jackson can prove himself there.