1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 Ex-Rockets Named in Top 50 Pure Shooters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketFan96, Jun 1, 2004.

1. AggieRocketFan96

I ran across a website that ranked the best 50 pure shooters of all time in the NBA and was surprised to see some familiar Rocket names on the list (at least 4 that I can recognize). Of the six top tier shooters that this guy has listed, 3 are former Rockets. Not sure I agree with Robert Horry being ranked this high, but definently agree with Purvis Short. Ya'll remember that guy? He played a couple of years after his prime in Golden State and was as automatic a jump shooter as I've ever seen. I remember Gene Peterson's voice on the radio describing his rainbow jumpers in peoples faces. Kinda surprised that Eddie Johnson didn't make this list. Here's the list and the link:

http://home.att.net/~a.bergey/nbashooters.htm

50 GREATEST NBA PURE SHOOTERS
    Andrew Bergey & contributions from many (like Jim and Dave F.)! (2003)

PUT IT UP!
    Coming up with a list of the 50 best pure shooters in NBA history is easy once you write down Joe Hassett and then open it up to far more qualified experts roaming the internet begging to be a part of this massive undertaking. My last -- and now lost -- list of the 50 Worst Players in NBA history netted me less threats of lawsuits than I hoped for (where's the fun in that?) and more suggestions that didn't make sense.

So, are there any great pure shooters playing in the NBA today? Really? Do 7-footers who sink three-pointers on a regular basis but can't sink ten-footers qualify? Am I eligible because I led the Rec B-League in 3-point shooting for three straight years but never played a NBA game?

OK, on with it!

Level One - The Heaters!

Need a quick bucket? Need a shot launched from the scorers table? Hire these guns! Lay-ups are not accepted without prior reservations.

Vinnie Johnson
    Joe Hassett
    Purvis Short
    Glen Rice
    Dale Ellis
    Robert Horry

Level Two - Solid Shooters!

Inside, outside, wide-open, in-traffic, while mugged . . . Most of these guys were excellent passers too. Yeh -- passing to guys who shot 10 percentage points less than they did!

Vinny Del Negro
    Scott Wedman
    Craig Hodges
    Jeff Hornacek
    John Paxson
    Don Nelson
    Pete Maravich
    Kobe Bryant
    George Gervin
    Michael Jordan
    Bernard King
    Calvin Murphy
    Kelly Tripucka
    Mark Price
    Sean Elliot
    John Stockton
    Jerry West
    Oscar Robertson
    Byron Scott
    Gail Goodrich
    Jeff Malone
    Nate Archibald
    Dick Barnett
    Ricky Pierce
    Kevin Johnson
    Jim Paxson
    Steve Kerr
    Hubert Davis
    Drazen Petrovic
    Danny Ainge
    Steve Smith
    Bill Sharman
    Lou Hudson
    James Worthy
    Paul Westphal
    Fred Brown

Level Three - Lethal!

Best Of The Best! Don't get them mad! Back away! If you stand too close you may lose your ring!

Ray Allen
    Walter Davis
    Larry Bird
    Chris Mullin
    Bob McAdoo
    Alex English
    Rick Barry
    Dirk Nowitski
    Reggie Miller
    Isiah Thomas

I think that's 50.

Please note that I didn't say anything negative about Jason Kidd and Kelvin Ransey or put forth my belief that Nick Van Excel is the most underrated shooter in the history of the NBA!

Please send suggestions! Please argue with me!

2. AggieRocketFan96

One Rocket I would have put on that list over Robert Horry in terms of pure shooting ability is Hakeem although it seems the author of the list didn't consider any center as a pure shooter. Wasn't Jack Sikma a smooth shooting center for the sonics back in the day?

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Ok, I see where the list is oriented, but I think RudyT deserves to be on it, definitely over Horry. Vinny Del Negro?

How about JoJo White? Or Earl Monroe? Good list overall though.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

The first player I thought of was Eddie Johnson. That guy could shoot. Remember his first game with Houston when they didnt even have his name on the jersey and the wrong number or something? I think we got him and Sedale Threat the day before.

5. AggieRocketFan96

Just remembered some other guys that light it up from the outside, Dell Curry and Peja Stojakovic. No doubt they should be on this guy's list.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

MJ needs to be in that Level 3 group. These levels don't seem to be from best to worst or anything. In other words Level 3 seems to be just another type of shooter than Level 1?

MJ needs to be in Level 3. He is among the best of the bunch. There are only about 2 people I would consider his equal in terms of "I don't want them getting the ball if the game is on the line and they have the ball" : Bird, MJ, and Reggie Miller. Kobe's slowly rising to that status.

Purvis Short having a rainbow shot is an understatement. That dude shot 18 footers that went up 50 ft. Hehe. I still remember the story of how they said he got that form. His father or coach or someone apparently used to hold a broom up in the air and told him to shoot over it.

7. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

actually vinny del negro was a DEADLY shooter. haha...

so was mark price damn.

dirk nowitzki in tier three? i'm not so sure. allen too. the others were all time greats man. chris mullin... wow. what a shooter. isiah thomas seems to belong a notch down too.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Couple of questions?

Where is Peja, another one Sarounis Marcelonis (sp) Mad Max should be under the streaky ones.

Chuck Person comes to mind, umm im sure there are much more that people like nowitzki. How can he be on there and Peja is not.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Da Bull!

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

My favorite NBA PURE SHOOTERS

Reggie Miller
    Glen Rice
    Dale Ellis
    Larry Bird
    Jerry West
    Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf)
    Drazen Petrovic
    Wesley Person
    Chuck Person
    Craig Hodges
    Jeff Hornacek
    John Paxson
    Calvin Murphy
    Mark Price
    Steve Kerr
    Ray Allen
    Chris Mullin
    Rick Barry
    Isiah Thomas
    Dell Curry
    Peja Stojakovic
    Steve Nash
    Michael Redd

These are my favorites pure shooters (longrange)...the moment it left their hand it always seemed to go in. With the exception of Murphy and Jackson, these guys were all long range shooters.

One guy, Michael Redd, didn't shoot well this year (35%3pt) compared the the previous years (43%3pt/44.4%3pt). But there's just something about the way the guy shoots that I love. He has the greatest form. I feel that he's going to be a great shooter.

#10 DavidS, Jun 2, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly. Without Matt Bullard this list means nothing to me. Blasphemy!!!

12. Toast

Toast Member

I DEFINITELY agree "The Rifleman" Chuck Person should be included. As should freaking Peja. That guy could hit over 30% from half court ;)

And where's A. Houston? Yeah, he's a Knick, but man does he have a great looking shot.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Robert Horry had classic form. I'll give him that. But Bullard was a pure shooter. If he missed you got pissed because he wasn't supposed to miss.

14. Stack24

Yeah with Horry you knew, if he got set and just took that classic step to the basket and shot he made it. Any other way he missed lol...pure set shooter.

Love the way bullard always leaned towards the basket on his shot. Both had different forms but were both deadly when they needed to be =)

I still remember the first Rocket i met in person was Matt Bullard when he was a rookie, i met him at the one and very few open gyms they had at the Summit, where they let you walk around and check everything out. he was suiting up and i asked him to have his little nike logo from his shoes he just got and he was like sure, i don't need it i get my shoes free and i have no use for it lol...back when those things were cool, when i was in middle school lol....

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Where's World B. Free?

But seriously, any list of 'pure shooters' that doesn't have Del Curry in the top 10, let alone top 50 has serious flaws.

16. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

AMEN!!!!

17. Dan B

Dan B Member

I think Kenny Smith should be on the list somewhere, at least level 2

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Stojakovic, Houston, Tomjanovich, Curry, Wilkins should be there. Horry, Worthy, Ainge, shouldn't be there.

19. Stack24

Wow i didn't even notice worthy, that boy was not a great shooter.

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Umm.. No moochie norris... come on guys